November 2015 Moms
Options

Older kids-kindergarten age?

My DD will be starting kindergarten this coming year and I have some questions with those who are in the same boat. We got a school supply list at our walmart and it was not detailed but they need to get a backpack so are u getting a full size or one of the smaller ones? I hear they won't really use it like older kids do. Also, what type of backpack are u getting a character or just a design?

I have no idea why this has been a challenge for us but we don't have many options where we live so I order a lot of things. For example we only have a walmart and Walgreens in our town otherwise the nearest target is 30 min drive and the nearest mall is over an hour. We plan on going on a shopping trip so if I can go in and get out of stores fast that will make me happy. (Really not a fan of shopping with two kids). Thanks for your help!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Older kids-kindergarten age?

• Options
    Full size! Mine started back this week and has a 3 ring binder that comes home every night and wouldn't fit in a small one. Let them choose the bookbag. It special when they get to choose. I don't think it matters if it's characters or not.
  • Options
    In our school district all children have to wear clear or mesh bookbags.  I hate it, but it is what it is.  They're very difficult to find even in local stores despite this being the school policy for over a decade.  Because of this, we had to buy DD a full size backpack.  The smaller backpack will probably be better if your child is average height. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi!  That is so exciting for you and your daughter!  I do not have a school-ager yet, so have not experienced the magic of supply lists.  But I did teach pre-K and kindergarten, so have seen the treatment of backpacks by little ones that age.  A lot of dragging and tossing as opposed to carrying and gently placing!  If you like to order stuff online, I would highly recommend Lands End.  They are pretty good quality (I have bags from there that have lasted forever).  And they have tons of sizes by height, so easy to choose the best for your LO. I remember the kids using packbacks to bring in show and tell, extra clothes, lunches... nothing to weighty.  And bringing home artwork, notes for parents etc.
  • Options
    Go full size so you don't have to spend more later (and get a sturdy one... kiddos can be destructive!). I used the exact same backpack from 5th grade through high school and it's still in good shape!
    I agree with @Gapeach83 - let your daughter pick it out so it becomes special to her.
  • Options
    Full size.  The amount of crap my kid brought home from kindergarten was crazy.  They had homework everyday as well as a full size folder that we used to communicate with the teacher.  That wouldn't fit in a small bag.  Everyone had a full size one.  I have let my son pick out his bag since preschool.  Having them pick something the like makes the first day more exciting so they can use it. 

• Options

Ditto what everyone else said; full size for sure! Our school also sends home a full size folder to communicate with parents and for letters, artwork, and other such things. the folder would not fit in a smaller backpack. They also get library books once a week, and some of those books are pretty big.

A note about the sturdiness of whichever bag you choose: if you think you will want to get a new bag every year (to keep up with changing favourite characters for example) you don't have to get a top of the line quality back pack. Yes, they will drop it and drag it all over the place, but in my experience, a $10 backpack from Walmart worked just fine. (I think it might have even lasted 2 years once.)

If you don't want to have to buy a new one every year, go for a sturdy one in a plain colour. Favourite characters can change frequently, especially once they are in school and want to keep up with what their friends like. So steer clear of characters that may be quickly outgrown if you want something that will last a few years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I don't recommend a backpack with characters. My SD is going into 7th grade this year and I've been around since she was pre-k age. Every year that someone (her mom or grandparents) have gotten her a character backpack or other cheapie, it tears apart halfway through the year and needs replaced. And they always fall apart at the worst times, like when they have to bring home large amounts of stuff and they're getting off the bus. It's no fun having your backpack fall apart just as you're getting off the bus and having everyone stare while you try to gather everything back up and carry it the rest of the way by hand.

Get a full sized, decent quality backpack. My mom still has and uses my backpack from kindergarten over twenty years ago, because it's good quality. Came from Costco. You can also find great deals on quality backpacks at garage sales, if you don't mind buying used.
  • Options
    We're in the same boat! Haven't received a school list yet but I'll probably get a full size back pack and let DS pick which character or design he wants.
  • Options
    My oldest boy is only going into preschool but he needs a backpack and I'm so excited to let him pick it out!
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    If you still have time to order I definitely would go for either Lands End or Pottery Barn backpacks. Fantastic quality and you can order whichever size your child needs based on height :-) that way your little kindergartener isn't having to wear this huge backpack.
  • Options
    We got a full sized backpack for my son. He picked it out, it was a super hero backpack. He carried his lunch box in there and he also came home with a folder full of homework for the week. He brought home books and class work he did during the day. My son is now starting 1st grade on Monday. Friday is when we will find out who his teacher is and get the supply list.
  • Options
    It is so crazy how much this kind of thing differs! At my sons school you have to use a shoulder bag that you buy directly from them for K-3rd, but for kindergarten they told me that if he is good about keeping track of his lunch and jacket he doesn't even need a backpack.

I was really bummed that he wouldn't be able to choose his own backpack. I would definitely let her choose, even if she is just helping pick the color online. I would also recommend not getting a character one bac use kids change their minds about favorites so easily. I would just make sure whatever bag you get will fit everything (lunch, sweater, change of clothes).
  • Options
    I have taught kindergarten for 7 years, get a full size one! Also, get a decent quality one. As others have said, the little ones are tough on their stuff. I usually ask my kiddos to keep extra clothes in their book bags. Full size bags are also helpful if you have to send in snack or other supplies.
  • Options
    Also, write her name on EVERYTHING, even in multiple places. It's amazing how much stuff my kinders lose!!
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone that has replied so far! I was planning on putting her name on everything...I have to get a lunch box as well maybe I will do a character for that and a nice design and more sturdy backpack? Hummmm decisions right now r just so hard!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter is starting kindergarten this fall too. Definelty full size. Mine needed full size for preschool so her art projects wouldn't get folded, smushed or ruined. And we're doing a hard lunch box for lunch and a small tuperware for snack.
  • Options
    We were actually told not to write their names on backpacks. But to put initials on them. Which I did.
  • Options
    My 5 year old is starting Kindergarten this month and when going through the list that they provided at registration about things to keep in mind when purchasing school items, it says that backpacks should be large enough to handle a pocket folder so they is what I am going by when purchasing a backpack for him. I am actually letting him pick out his backpack, which more the. likely will end up being a character one. I know toysrus just had a deal going on that if you spent 12.99 or more on a backpack you got the lunch box for free and they had a ton to choose from.

• Options
    For sure a full size.  It is amazing how much stuff comes home daily!  Plus if they are in full day you will want room for a lunch.  They are so cute those first couple of months with a mondo backpack.
  • Options
    My daughter barely used her backpack, just to bring home crafts and things. I had a full size for her but opted for a smaller backpack this year.
  • Options
    Our son is going into first grade.  Last year the school provided a little bag that all the kids use (he attends private school)  but this year we got a full size book bag.  I'd suggest doing the same.  Last year we had a lot of things going back and forth and on some days he was really loaded down.  
    DS- June 2009

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Go for a good quality backpack. Pottery Barn or Land's End have great quality bags and have a size chart to choose the best fit for your child. Even the next to smallest size should last K through 2nd grade. Pottery barn has cute prints too. My MIL bought DD a character backpack last year (cheapie $10 from Walmart) and it needed replaced after Christmas break. So you can either spend $20-$25 on 2 backpacks for K or $30-$35 on 1 backpack to last 2+years of abuse. If DD really wants character supplies, I let her get a lunchbox or pencil case
  • Options
    My son is going into 3rd grade this year and will be using the same LLBean backpack that he picked out when he started kindergarten. The quality is amazing and it still looks like new. We have many bags/backpacks from Beans and they hold up amazingly well and have a lifetime guarantee. I'd never buy another brand.
  • Options
    cfletch88cfletch88 member
    edited August 2015
    As a teacher and fellow mom of an upcoming Kindergartener, I'd go with the full size! I know our school will send home a daily folder that won't fit inside a small backpack, and my son will have to bring a blanket for nap time along with a lunch box. Also the cheap character backpacks tend to tear about mid way through the year. I got my son a Jansport from Marshalls/TJ Maxx for around $15 that lasted him 2 years of PreK. We bought a new one this year.
  • Options
    Our supply list actually lists full size backpack as needed. Along with earbuds. I don't know why she needs earbuds...I don't let her use those at home.
  • Options
    @NancyG1661 we had to get earphones, specifically NOT earbuds. I had no idea why but I guess it's for when they use the computer or iPad. And one of the other moms I was talking to said to be glad they had to bring their own because you don't want them sharing with everyone with lice and such. But finding earphones to send to kindergarten that were not earbuds... Kind of expensive! Actually, the most expensive item we had to purchase.
  • Options
    The ear buds are for computer work. My DD needs them each year. I would prefer her to use headphones, but the school specifies ear buds since they don't take up as much room in their desk/cubby.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    I'm going to talk to the teacher to see if I can send headphones instead of earbuds. I'm not sure what the set up is there since the open house isn't til September 3.
  • Options
    We ordered our kindergarter a large book bag from Lands Ends. It's super durable and our hope is it should last him several years!! He picked out a character lunch bag... Figure we'll be replacing that more often.
  • Options
    Jansport is a good brand in my experience. I like the idea if a regular color bookbag and character lunch box.
  • Options
    lyankowi said:
    Jansport is a good brand in my experience. I like the idea if a regular color bookbag and character lunch box.
    Jansport also has a lifetime guarantee.  My 36yr old boyfriend still uses the Jansport backpack he got in middle school for all kinds of things.  It's his overnight bag anytime he heads anywhere.  He's had something on it break 3 times since he's had it (we're talking over 20yrs here) and contacted the company, sent it in and they've either fixed it or sent him a brand new bag.  That's some awesome customer service.  They're also fairly reasonably priced.  Around $30 - $50.