Baby Names
Options

Names at day care ...

I was checking out a daycare this am for my LO ... These were the names of the other kids.
Boys:
Jude
Escher (like the artist, MC Escher)
Liam

Girls:
Hayden
Lorelei
Adele
Nora
Madeleine
Ella

They were all between 6 mos and 3 years--pretty great names overall.

Re: Names at day care ...

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Pretty good!
  • Options
    I like Jude. Jude Asher would be nice. I also like Liam.

I like Nora. Nora Adelaide would be pretty. I also like Nora Madeleine. Ella Madeleine would be so pretty, too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Surprisingly good.

Though I don't like Hayden, for either gender.
  • Options

Surprisingly good.

Though I don't like Hayden, for either gender.
    NAF for a boy, hate it for a girl. (I mean, seriously.. What!?)

The other girls names are beautiful. I will always love Madeleine no matter the popularity.
  • Options
    Sounds very white :) Don't know that I'd make that my preschool pick. A little diversity is always nice in a school. But I digress.... I do love the names. Getting off my soapbox now.
  • Options
    brita722 said:

Sounds very white :) Don't know that I'd make that my preschool pick. A little diversity is always nice in a school. But I digress.... I do love the names. Getting off my soapbox now.

Yeah, I don't know about that. I just met a woman at work the other day, she's African American, and told me all about her kids... daughter, Peyton, and son, Patrick.

Never assume.
    Fair point. I certainly wouldn't assume it was an entirely white group. I live in the Chicago area, though, so I'm used to seeing names from a wide range of cultures, not a list that reads like...well, like my potential baby name list :) I do also realize that in many parts of the country you aren't going to find that kind of diversity even if you try. I must admit it makes me feel a certain pride for where I live.
  • Options
    The only name off the list I just can't stand is Hayden. The rest of those names are not bad. Not sure how I feel about Escher.
  • Options
    My sons daycare kid names:

Axton
    Aislynn
    Blake (girl)
    Greyson
    Noah
    And my little Brinley

Quite a mix huh.
  • Options
    e1223e1223 member
    Daycare names are fascinating to me, to see a cross section of a geographic area. Mine are: Imogen, Nola, ivy, sienna, Rocky, Anders,Leo -my kids are by far the most common : Anne and Luke
  • Options
    saham07 said:

what an odd comment. You shouldn't judge ANYTHING by the race of the people. Shame on you.
    Just in case it wasn't clear from my last post I want to make it clear that I have no problem with someone from a minority culture choosing a mainstream American name for their baby. That is common where I live as well, though certainly not as common as it is in a predominantly white area where people from minority cultures are more likely to assimilate into the mainstream culture.
    Where I live minorities are as likely or more likely to choose a traditional name from their culture. If a day care roster in my area looked like the one above with ZERO traditional Hispanic, African-American, Asian, etc..names it certainly would be out of place and make you wonder what was going on.
    Once again I do very much realize that is not the case in most white communities. I was evaluating the list as a whole not attempting to guses the race of the child of any one specific name. I am completely aware that's impossible. Shame on you for assuming otherwise.
  • Options
    @Rudetomata I thought you were pretty clear in our previous exchange and I completely get what you meant. I am from, and still live, in Los Angeles. So, a seemingly tame/bland/white/whatever, ect. name list on a city day care roster could seem odd at first glance. Until you realize that our "melting pot" has truly combined all parts of cultural and societal diversity to the point that even our names are the same. Which is also what I was thinking while (as previously stated) talking to my African American co-worker who named her children Peyton and Patrick. It's just interesting to see the names crossing and the trends ebbing and flowing.

No one needs to be shamed. We're just talking about names and societal trends. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    Here are the names from my daughter's daycare:

Hannah
    Ryker
    Sawyer (girl)
    Hudson
    Kinsley
    Leighton
    Luke
    Lainey
    Blakely
    Jacoby
    Aidan
    Blaine
    Stockton
    Tucker

• Options
    Quite a comment!
    From the Chicago area and those are odd names to me. Id probably like less "diversity," as you say.

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    Thanks, Brita722.
    Now back to names, marybeth05, I must say I much prefer the OP's list. Sawyer on a girl? Say it isn't so. That's one of my top picks for a boy. Don't like seeing that at all. Where's wassuphoes with the stats?
  • Options
    My son's daycare class:
    Boys:
    Maxwell
    Rylan
    Kamran
    Levi
    Theo
    Hisham
    Torsten
    Brandon
    Everett (mine)

Girls:
    Alexandra
    Julia
    Brielle
  • Options
    astrat017 said:

My sons daycare kid names:

Axton
    Aislynn
    Blake (girl)
    Greyson
    Noah
    And my little Brinley

Quite a mix huh.

Ugh this is awful

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• Options
    In 2013 Sawyer was the 120 for boys, and 448 for girls. It is its 4th year on the top 1000 for girls. Thus we can conclude that parents naming their daughters Sawyer are obnoxious hipsters.
  • Options
    CGless said:

My son's daycare class:
    Boys:
    Maxwell
    Rylan
    Kamran
    Levi
    Hisham
    Torsten
    Brandon
    Everett (mine)

Girls:
    Alexandra
    Julia
    Brielle

I adore the name Everett! I wish my husband would let us use it :(
    I also like Levi, Brandon, Alexandra, and Julia.
  • Options
    Well so far nobody picked out my daughter's name from the daycare list to hate on!
    I agree I'm not a fan of Sawyer for a girl and Stockton is named after a bull rider or some type of rodeo person. I live a rural country area surrounded by feedlots. His mom works just as hard on the feedlot as his dad does! While I'm not a fan of several of the names they really have grown on me and I can't imagine little Sawyer or Stockton having a different name.
  • Options
    I can't imagine Sawyer on any girl or Stockton on any person.
  • Options

In 2013 Sawyer was the 120 for boys, and 448 for girls. It is its 4th year on the top 1000 for girls. Thus we can conclude that parents naming their daughters Sawyer are obnoxious hipsters.

Very obnoxious indeed. Thanks for looking it up but that's very disheartening. I've been actually thinking it may be my top boy's pick lately. I will feel compelled to rethink it if there is a chance people are going to start viewing it as a girl's name. Oh well the chances of getting my husband on board were slim to none. So so stupid, though. Is it just me or is it a very rugged, manly sounding name?
  • Options
    ^ When you look up the name sawyer it means "timber cutter" or one who cuts wood. Sounds pretty masculine to me
  • Options
    My son's class:

Boys:
    Ryan
    DJ (Daniel)
    Quinn
    Theo (mine)

Girls:
    Riley
    Maria
    Hannah
    Loretta
    Kennerley
    Sibley
    Sage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LizWhiz87 said:

My son's class:

Boys:
    Ryan
    DJ (Daniel)
    Quinn
    Theo (mine)

Girls:
    Riley
    Maria
    Hannah
    Loretta
    Kennerley
    Sibley
    Sage

Hold upppppp......Kennerley????

I. CAN'T.

Also what is Sibley??
    I wish I knew these answers! I think Kennerley has something to do with the father being from England, and I'm not sure where Sibley got her name. It seems like it might be a "mother's maiden name" name, but I don't know!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is appalling. Do people not realize their child is going to grow up!

On another note, love Everett. But what would be the nickname?
  • Options
    27alex said:

This is appalling. Do people not realize their child is going to grow up!

Rhett maybe, like Butler?
  • Options
    27alex said:

Well our Everett is 1, and we've been calling him Evy Bear... But we'll be putting an end to Evy and likely go with Ev ir Ever shortly. My mom wants to call him Rhett but it didn't really stick.
  • Options
    My son's favorite teacher was Mrs. Sibley. She was the best but I could not imagine this as a first name; Sybil maybe...
  • Options
    e1223e1223 member
    I have an adult friend named Everett and he goes by Rett and always has.
  • Options

saham07 said:

what an odd comment. You shouldn't judge ANYTHING by the race of the people. Shame on you.
    Just in case it wasn't clear from my last post I want to make it clear that I have no problem with someone from a minority culture choosing a mainstream American name for their baby. That is common where I live as well, though certainly not as common as it is in a predominantly white area where people from minority cultures are more likely to assimilate into the mainstream culture.
    Where I live minorities are as likely or more likely to choose a traditional name from their culture. If a day care roster in my area looked like the one above with ZERO traditional Hispanic, African-American, Asian, etc..names it certainly would be out of place and make you wonder what was going on.
    Once again I do very much realize that is not the case in most white communities. I was evaluating the list as a whole not attempting to guses the race of the child of any one specific name. I am completely aware that's impossible. Shame on you for assuming otherwise.

replace the word "white" in your first comment with ANY other race word.....and you basically make the 5 o'clock news. My comment was just a reminder to be careful and see how other people can take your comments. I never feel good about reading negative (sounds very white :) I don't know that I would make that my preschool pick) comments or assumptions about groups. That's all!
  • Options
    We have Harper, Molly, Elina, Lily, Adrianna & Madison for girls, and Jaxon, Joseph, Derek for boys. Pretty tame for the most part.
  • Options
    saham07 said:

saham07 said:

replace the word "white" in your first comment with ANY other race word.....and you basically make the 5 o'clock news. My comment was just a reminder to be careful and see how other people can take your comments. I never feel good about reading negative (sounds very white :) I don't know that I would make that my preschool pick) comments or assumptions about groups. That's all!
    I honestly have no hard feelings but I think this is a topic where we just have to agree to disagree. If this is a case where a day care's members are not representative of the community then I would say maybe it belongs on the 5pm news. I would find it more offensive to say nothing even if saying something makes some people uncomfortable. Some things people need to be made to feel uncomfortable with.

In this case the children are probably representative of the community. However, I must admit I find it very interesting to compare the melting pot type community where minorities mostly embrace the majority culture and the communities where the minorities cling more strongly to their culture of origin. There are absolutely strengths and weaknesses of both type of community. (More kumbaya harmoniousness in the first and some amazingly diverse and fabulous food, music, dances, traditions, names etc... in the second for example) I love to discuss these sociological topics but I realize that this is not the place for it. So for using the wrong forum to bring this up I apologize.
  • Options

The group my little man is in:

Girls: Sophi

Boys: Everhett, Kamron, Caden, Levi.

Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"