June 2013 Moms
Options

UO Thread

2»

Re: UO Thread

• Options
    Thanks for explaining @calikat80‌ that makes total sense :)

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    needanustartneedanustart member
    edited October 2014
    @dmlk413‌ it sounds like i hit a nerve with some deeper halloween issues with you. Do you need a halloween hug? I have a little lion here that is sending a trick or treating hug your way, no tricks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    OMFG.  REALLY?  I just wanted to point out that your post sounded as entitled as people asking for gluten free stuff.  You were all 'how dare you take your kid out ToT and not answer the door and give my kid candy and tell him his costume is cute?!'  How is that not entitled? Way to teach your kid it's all about them. 
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Options

@calikat80 you were condescending, you weren't extending an olive branch. 

But whatever, we can agree to disagree because I'm sick of talking about this.

My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Options
    @CL8badB‌ For how many ToTers you must get, I can't blame you! ToTing seems to have gone downhill from when I was a kid. For the last 4 years H and I lived right around the corner from the house I grew up in. Purely coincidence based on what was for sale when we were buying. The first year I based my candy purchasing on what I could remember for numbers when we were kids. I distinctly remember getting 200-250 kids every year. So I planned for that. The first year we barely got 100, and every year after it was more like 80. Do not as many kids ToT anymore?
    div style="text-align: center;">

• Options
    @CL8badB‌ when I was a kid my mom did about 20-30 goodie bags for kids we knew. We just handed out a couple pieces of candy to everyone else. It's what I planned on doing too once the kids I knew were really old enough, but we didn't get a single ToTer out here in the country this year so we may not ever do it now. I'm going to get to know a few of the newer neighbours (we live in an acreage subdivision about 15 min from town) I noticed a few with kids so I'll have to find out if they plan on maybe doing the loop of our neighbourhood next year and I'll be prepared! There's a similar sized subdivision across the road so if the kids from both subdivisions did both loops they'd probably do pretty well considering we (the homeowners) would probably really spoil them!
    div style="text-align: center;">

• Options
    Ok, I'm way late to this party but it seems inappropriate to hang on to this for next week.
    I hate muscled costumes. It seems like the equivalent of fake boobs in a princess costume (which I think most people would be really appalled by).

Anniversary

• Options
    Um @vitafelix‌ all 3 of my boys had muscled costumes and they were stinking adorable. The equivalent to fake boobs would be a cod piece, which they didn't have.
                                                                  #Bodymber14 #Bodygate #itsMillerTime

Bradley 05-04-11 & Tyler 06-18-13
  • Options

Video games are a waste of time- come at me bro X_X

I feel like one could say the same of a lot of people's leisure activities--watching tv and movies, birdwatching, sunbathing, etc.--but that doesn't mean I am going to stop watching a TV show I enjoy just because I don't have anything to show for it at the end of the day like I would if I crocheted a blanket or something more productive like that. I think the whole point for people who enjoy video games is just to unwind and relax.
  • Options
    @WasNotWas‌ I agree that your boys were adorable, but the muscles on kids' costumes have gotten really crazy, and I think they would've been just as adorable without the muscles.
    Yes, everyone has muscles. Kids already have muscles, they don't need additional muscles on their costumes.
    It's not the anatomical equivalent of fake boobs, but it is the sexualiztion equivalent. It's a thing for young boys to aspire to- to be big and strong and hot- so they can be really insecure about it in middle and high school when it's totally unattainable.
    DH and his family all have ridiculous body image issues (and I teach in a middle school and high school), so I'm more sensitive about this sort of thing than most people, I think. It doesn't keep me up at night or anything, but I am aware of how action figures have changed over the last 30 years and I don't think it's just advances in manufacturing and design.
    That said, if B really wants over muscled GI joes and got them, I wouldn't hide them away or anything. Just like if this girl really wants barbies, I won't prevent her from having them. If he wants a muscled costume I might try to encourage a different choice, but I'd let him wear it if he really wants it.

Anniversary

• Options
    I get that, @mcbush, and that's why I'm not judging parents who buy them. I just don't like the over-stuffed muscles, and I wish I didn't have to constantly deal with the negative body/food talk in our house.

It is a little different from beer commercials though. By the time they really know what beer is and are seeing beer commercials, they can process the information in a more sophisticated way before they internalize ideals unintentionally. BUT I do think it has way more to do with home environment than what they see and hear in the world around them.

Regardless, I completely expect to throw a super hero and/or princess birthday party at some point in the future.

Anniversary

• Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    edited November 2014

BC&LM said:

Video games are a waste of time- come at me bro X_X

I feel like one could say the same of a lot of people's leisure activities--watching tv and movies, birdwatching, sunbathing, etc.--but that doesn't mean I am going to stop watching a TV show I enjoy just because I don't have anything to show for it at the end of the day like I would if I crocheted a blanket or something more productive like that. I think the whole point for people who enjoy video games is just to unwind and relax.
    I like a good game of Mario Cart! It just seems like gamers often stay up all night and can neglect other aspects of their lives. NOT everyone. I just haven't seen the same level intensity and involvement with other recreational pass times (maybe crossfit). Video game addiction is a thing- can people get addicted to knitting? Not being snarky- I have no idea.
    Yeah, it's gone too far if someone is an addict. But when we were child-free, my husband was a gamer (not hardcore or anything but it was a hobby of his), but he never let it interfere with his chores and or time with me and stuff. And now that we have LO, he will sometimes still play, but only after LO is sleeping and if I am doing other stuff. I even played some of DH's games from time to time, but I don't now with LO; I want to go to bed not long after LO or read a book or something.

I wasn't knocking knitting! That's a productive hobby to me. (I do know some women who are constantly knitting--even at family parties and stuff--but I wouldn't say they are addicted. You can talk and do that if you are experienced.)

What I was trying to say is that there are a lot of "unproductive" hobbies I don't personally get like bird watching or sunbathing. But I know some people who do them find them relaxing, so I would never consider them a waste of time, even though I don't personally understand the appeal.

ETA: I feel like some people are the same way about TV as video games; I've known people that watch hours and hours of TV every day. But I agree that I probably haven't seen the same intensity with a lot of other hobbies.
  • Options
    I agree that TV watching is just as bad as video games, but at least with sunbathing/bird watching you are outside and getting some exercise and fresh air. Not the same at all. I also think the problem with gaming is that there is no end to it the way it would be if you were watching an hour of programmed television. It is also far more addictive, especially considering some of the computer games that are out there that just go on and on and on.....I've seen people suck half the day away playing those things.
    Anniversary       

• Options
    @riansmommie‌ Gears of War 4 lyfe!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Options
    I agree @CoffeeBeanFiend91‌ my hubby wanted to resale them and I freaked out on him. I can play gears over and over!

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    DH and I played a lot of WoW in college. We quit when we moved back East and couldn't stay up late enough for group activities. I'm really glad we quit. It ended up being all we talked about IRL too. Before B I spent a lot of my summers playing video games. I think I've played about 5 minutes of a minecraft demo since he started being mobile, though. The first couple months of his life I played a lot of skyrim during nursing and napping sessions. Other favorites: Harvest Moon, Fable (1&3), Civilization, Pokemon, Viva Piñata (eta childhood favs: Monkey Island & King's Quest...and leisure suit Larry because my mom wanted help finding all the Dildos. I wish I were kidding.)

I think they can be a good exercise in self-discipline, but they are also really really addictive and there are so many in-game incentives to keep playing. We haven't talked about when we'll let B play video games and what sorts of limitations he'll have yet.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"