comablackcomablack member
edited November 2014 in Babies on the Brain
I'm over this.

Re: Can This Be Deleted?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    comablackcomablack member
    edited October 2014
    amc2511: My health insurance is pretty great, I'm happy about it. I would obviously check that out before we actually try and conceive but I know I have good coverage. My boyfriend is at my previous job so I know that's good insurance as well. To answer your question though, if we didn't have family to live with or free baby sitting from my mom we would be in a rough spot. However knowing my family and his we will be able to live at his house, there is plenty of room and his dad makes good money and is more than happy to not charge us rent. And in a hypothetical situation I've talked to my mom about babysitting and she would be over the moon to support me. 

normandyn7: The amount of money we'd be making combined could support a child, just not moving out AND a child. So we could move out and not have a baby, or live rent free with free food, utilities and internet/cable and have a baby. As I mentioned, he's wanted me to move in and for us to have a baby for a long time now, so it isn't something he hasn't thought about providing. 
    As far as the babysitting thing, my boyfriend has stated that he doesn't want me to go to work after the baby is born, he wants me home for at least the first two years. With that in mind, he is working on moving up in the company, it's mostly a matter of training after he's hired. Then it would turn into full time. He would have a full time job before we had a baby. I'm waiting for a ring before that anyway. With living at his dad's house I will be making enough money with insurance and savings to be able to account for complications. But that's the thing, I can't pretend something even more major won't happen. But if we're going to wait until we're financially "stable" so to speak, we might be here forever. 

My experience with "stable" anything is temporary. I got lucky and my childhood was stable (financially) from 0-12. I lived in the same house and my parents have always been together. Since 13 I've been aware of my family's financial situation and sometimes it's scary and other times we're livin' large. My boyfriend experienced his parents splitting up for a time, he lived with his grandma some of the time and then his parents got back together but had other types of issues. His mother passed away when he was 20. He's not used to experiencing much financial or even total family stability and he doesn't regret a single moment of his childhood. I think those things work out because there is love and support involved.

Our family isn't pressuring us at all to have a child. Both of us have been talking since last August about it and just recently have we become more serious about starting to actually do it. I'm beyond the moon excited about it and he's the one who has brought it up every time in the first place. And we want to be parents. We don't want to just make a baby to make people happy and then expect everyone else to watch it. We, together are very excited and adamant about raising a happy, healthy child. We've talked scores over future things about teenage years and being ten years old. It's not a passing fancy or something trendy we're trying to do. It's something in our hearts that we feel is right and needed.

I've thought logically about the whole thing. Wait for me to get my master's degree when I'm 26 before I have kids. That's what I thought. Get school out of the way because believe me I've heard it's hard and I don't believe that it'll be a walk in the park. But I also don't see why women who "accidentally" have a child are commended for working two jobs, going to school and raising a child while being single but if I choose to have a child with a very involved father and go to school and work I'm not being logical. And I'm not throwing this all at you as a angry response because I know I'm getting heated. It's directed to plenty of unamed people where these words have been uttered.
  • Options
    When I was 18, in the summer between graduating high school and starting college I had an accidental pregnancy. I was young and naive and as soon as I saw two positive pregnancy tests I thought it meant I'd be having a baby. I fully trusted that. I calculated my due date, which fell the week before final exams finishing up my freshman year, starting reading What to Expect When You're Expecting, & began to prepare myself to break the news to my family, who I felt would be quite disappointed. But, it turned out to be a chemical pregnancy, and I got my period only 3 days after the faintly positive tests. Even being young and scared and unprepared, I felt like something was ripped from me. One moment I was so nervous to be a mom, the next devastated that I wouldn't be. My boyfriend was gung-ho about just trying to get pregnant and calling it an accident like the first was, he wanted to replace the child we had lost. And, honestly, emotionally, I felt drawn toward that idea even though it was far, far, far from convenient (I ended up ending that relationship a year and a half later). I fought my hormones, fought my feelings, and stuck to my birth control routine.

So, I understand. It was a battle for me for a little while to take the more responsible road and wait. Now, I'm 24, married, a college graduate, employed full time (as well as my husband), we have better health insurance than the vast majority of people I know, and we have a house in an excellent school district that will fit our growing family nicely. We'll be trying in the summer not long after I turn 25.

For us, I'm glad we've waited. I am glad we will be able to announce our pregnancy to parents who will be thrilled, rather than disappointed. I'm glad we have rooms for nurseries and emergency funds and live in a good school district. I'm glad for my health insurance and my marriage and the time I've been able to spend with my husband and travel and go on dates etc. (4 and a half years now, likely more than 6 by the time a baby comes).

I can't say that it's the right decision for you. But for me, it was. I'm proud of how far I've come in these last 6 years. And I'm STILL waiting for the most convenient time, building up funds, and accomplishing projects ;) although now I'm down to waiting months instead of years.

I would really, really think about the reasons why you want a child right now. I know it'll be hard to lose a parent and know that they will never see your children, but many parents would want you to prioritize your success and stability over building a family.

I know right now it seems like a long time from now, but a couple years will pass quickly.
  • Options
    I have to agree with PPs. This sounds like a bad idea.

I am 23. I wanted kids when I was 20. H wasn't ready so we waited. Last April H decided he was ready so we cracked down on our baby bucket list. We have set Oct.2015 as our TTC month because we will have met our financial goals and ideally I will have 2+ years of schooling behind me before we would be due. We are okay with me finishing school while I stay home because we can afford it and he has incredible job security.

Financially before TTC we will have 6 months worth of living expenses(including baby expenses), no debt at all, an additional years worth of estimated baby expenses, our ins. deductible saved, money for a nursery and gear, and 10k for a hefty down payment on a new car. We are busting butt to get our list checked off but we feel like it was worth waiting.

There is NEVER a right time to have a baby but there are bad times to have them. Your situation sounds like a bad time.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options

DH and I are 29 and 32. We both have secure full-time jobs.  We have family for child care. We have good insurance.  We rent a home..... And it's STILL a struggle.  A new baby is MUCH harder than it may seem even when you have all your ducks in a row.

Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• Options
    No no no no no no no
  • Options
    My advice, save your money. Get a house (buy or rent). Finish school. Have a baby. Be an adult and provide for your own child instead of relying on your BFs dad to give you a rent free place to stay and him paying for everything and free childcare for your kid. Your child is your responsibility. You should be providing for it yourself. If your bf moves up and is able to support you then great. But don't assume that it will work out. My husband got a management position and I assumed I would be able to stay home and we could live off his salary. Nope. Didn't work out that way. This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    I appreciate a lot of the feed back and I am terribly sorry to the one poster who mentioned I spelled judgment wrong because I stuck an extra E in there. Really does show my level of education, jesus cristo. 

ANYWAY. I think it's hard to come across as who I am over the internet to a bunch of strangers and make them understand. I wrote this post emotionally, kind of like a blog post or the like. I am not actually pregnant right now and the plan is to in fact wait a while. When I say he is saving up to buy a ring, we are not fucking white trash and he's not going to Wal*Mart to get something just to get something. I did in fact major in psychology so I think I'm going to go ahead and say that I do indeedy-do realize a baby is not $99. I plan all my expenses (like car payment, phone bill, pet expenses, TUITION savings, etc). I do not think a child is going to be a cake walk through college, that's the whole reason I mentioned that in my second post. Granted, I think some of you may not have read that second post.

When I say my boyfriend would have a full-time job before we get married, that's not a pipe dream. I'm saying we won't have a baby until that happens. As far as his father is concerned, I've been asked to come live with them (which I practically do sleeping over Thursday through Sunday). I do understand how some parents would think I'm being selfish by not having to buy my own food or pay for anything, but that's not me saying "Oooh poor me I have no money, I'm acting like a 13 year old" it's his dad actually communicating to us that he wants to do that for us. He wants to help us make a family however he can. I'm not at all assuming he's okay with this, it's words from his mouth.

With my mom babysitting and the comment someone made about me not being able to talk to anyone aka my OP; the whole point is I know it sounds crazy and I know it's not the traditional order of things so people look down. I know my mom would not approve, but what I'm trying to say that if it happened anyway, if I decided to make it happen and I would let her know I'm doing that, she would still be over the moon at the birth of her first grandchild. She's not a strict old wench who I can't talk to and I'm guessing she would warm up. I know my mom and I also talk to her hypothetically about me having a baby in general. She's aware I want to do that at some point, I just haven't told her when because I'm still working out the details.

I guess the point I found most prominent out of all the expected comments of "live on your own, get married, have full time jobs, save" etc is that in my life it doesn't matter if you have all your ducks in a row. I could get married, move out and save up all the money I could muster. And then without a child our house could burn down or someone gets into a car accident, the list goes on. And then there goes the car or the house or all the savings to repair the broken things. It doesn't matter if I have a child or not, those things are life and that's always going to happen. Someone will lose a job. Multiple times through our whole lives. That's my experience. The thing is, I'm not planning on flying blind. Of course I will save money and have health insurance for a pregnancy and a delivery and the life of a child after. Of course we will want to give our child everything we can. 

The school thing almost bugs me the most I think though. Because I am going to go to school no matter what. There is online classes through the university I'm applying to. There are scholarships, grants and loans. And there is my ambition and drive to get a bachelor and then a master's degree. I already have my associate's I'm not planning on giving up. And I don't think that going to school with a child is going to be a cake walk! I said that already. But I know women who have done it! And why can't I do it if they've done it? And why do I have to finish my degree on the exact scheduled time table laid out? Why can't I get my bachelor's and then maybe take five years off to get my master's? Or 1 semester? Or 3? 

With the ring, the whole point is that once that's saved up for it's like pressing start on this whole thing. We start thinking about trying to conceive more seriously and of course plan for a wedding. The ring isn't just to placate me. He's told me a million times he wants to marry me. And why not get married first? Well it's something we're talking about. It seems to be almost a ridiculous thing to do, to spend all this money on one day. But on the other hand when I think about going to the court house my mind wanders back to flowers and bridesmaids. So it's something we have to discuss more but it's not at the front of everything because the ring still has to get on my finger.

Seriously thank you to all the people who shared their comments respectfully and didn't try and insult me. I really appreciate reading your thoughts on it without telling me I'm stupid or selfish for simply putting an idea out there. I say plan, but it's an idea, something we're considering, we're contemplating. And I know there are things like that to think about because I have mulled them over a thousand times in my head planning the exact right time to start doing things, using a check-list, etc. But my boyfriend's grandma has always said that "If you try to wait until you are ready, you'll never be ready." And let me reiterate, I know there is always a bad time to do things like this, I just guess I don't understand why if it was an accident there would be support instead of "you're stupid and selfish". And no, I'm not going to pretend if I have a baby that it was an "accident". That's just rude. If I am planning on trying to make a baby, I would tell the people in my life. At this current juncture it's a dream, I'm just hoping to come true sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks for that. It was the whole reason I said what I said about waiting to be ready and not ever being ready. I could be in a shitty situation and have a baby or I could be surrounded by family who love and care about me and my boyfriend and the family we want to create.

But you know, I did notice with a lot of other threads on this board that no one really cares about being supportive and thoughtful. Just rude and angry.
  • Options

Also, OP, IF your BF's dad does have cancer (hopefully he does not) and requires radiation treatment, he may not be able to be around your LO.

I was thinking this also. One of my colleagues is battling cancer and couldn't come near the baby when I brought him to the office to meet my coworkers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OP. You need to get your priorities straight.

And the "white trash" rant was really gross.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Also, OP, IF your BF's dad does have cancer (hopefully he does not) and requires radiation treatment, he may not be able to be around your LO.

-----

And if he does (hopefully) survive. The chemo, medicine, radiation, etc might drain all of his disposable income and there might not be anything left to pay for your groceries.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"