March 2015 Moms
Options

Heart palpitations

edited October 2014 in March 2015 Moms
hi ladies. I'm coming up on 20 weeks pregnant. I have been getting really bad heart palpitations when I lay down at night. I called my OB's office. The MEDICAL ASSISTANT told me it's normal and not to worry.
It doesn't feel normal :(
It's pretty bad. I checked my blood pressure today at work and it was 153/93. I've never in my life been that high.
Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience with this ?
I'm getting nervous. Thank you.

Re: Heart palpitations

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Thank you! @ToasterCat‌

I'm glad your dr said the same thing. It is super scary.
  • Options
    My dr has said the same about palpitations and tachycardia being "normal" but if your BP stays high, that might be worth investigating with your dr. Generally our BP is supposed to be lower during pregnancy due to increased blood volume etc. I get palpitations too, especially at night when laying down. It's a bit anxiety-provoking. I try to practice some deep breathing/meditation to calm it down. Good luck :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. It is freaky and I didn't have this with my first.
    I feel better after your replies.
  • Options
    I've been getting them too. Completely normal but it still freaks me out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much. I hadn't noticed anyone mentioning this, maybe I missed it. When I googled... Whoa
    Scary stuff came up.
    Your input has been very reassuring.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this @Christina80xoxo‌ ! I was *just* noticing this myself as well and was gonna call the OB tmrw am. :)

My BP isn't high, just weird hard heartbeat when laying down.

I may still call, but good to know I'm probably not dying :)
  • Options
    I've always had palpitations (family thing, we have lazy hearts when resting). But they definitely are worse now. All normal unless you get them while your heart is under strain (if it is messing up while you excersize, let the doc know).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had this problem early on. It has gotten better. It can be very scary! They did a monitor and echocardiogram and said it was just from the pregnancy. They do have medicine but like to avoid giving it if possible especially before 20 weeks. I was taking unisom which was a big trigger for it, so is caffeine. Good luck! It's frustrating to hear it's a normal pregnancy thing and to just deal with it.
  • Options
    Same as @lorindriel‌ - I already got them from time to time, but a bit more often being pregnant. If your dr says not to worry, and it doesn't get to be debilitating, I wouldn't worry. Definitely is freaky though!
  • Options
    I used to get palpitations all the time when I was young and just going into puberty, and I was told they were thanks to the flood of hormones.  So now when I get them occasionally during this pregnancy, I've been chalking it up to the flood of hormones again.  I never had them between puberty and this pregnancy, so it seemed like a reasonable answer to me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Mama to Rowan Sebastian and baby boy coming in April!

• Options
    I had palpitations with my first pregnancy. My doctor told me to drink more water. I felt like I was already drinking a ton, so I was skeptical, but it did help a lot to drink even more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"