2nd Trimester
Options

Flu Shot and Pregnancy??

Re: Flu Shot and Pregnancy??

• Options
    capulet said:

Many people throw around the CDC quote that 24,00 - 36,000 people die every year from the flu, which by the way was the same statistic used they used from 2003 - 2009. For starters that number is completely inaccurate.

bold because I can't get out of the quote box:  This needs a legit source.  Why should I take your word that it's inaccurate?  And I want to know if you can even begin to make a case that the supposed number of fetal deaths from one year of the vaccine even begins to rival the aggregate number of deaths of non-fetal people from the flu over the years.

Their lack in ability to produce accurate information that has been proven true is why I choose not to follow the "herd" on this particular vaccine. This is my opinion, criticize away, but I am not trying to change your mind or belittle your beliefs I am simply defending mine and others like me. If you want to debate this and try to change someones opinion on the matter provide more research to back what you say. I have quoted many different sources and have given links to most of them. 
    In all your verbiage, I found just one link.  That is poor source-citing for even a freshman-level research paper, let alone a scientific discussion, not to mention your source argued exactly the opposite of what you were claiming.
    My very first post had 2 links in it.
    Oh, my bad.  Three links, wow.  You disappeared for several days after writing that post without responding to anything anyone said about either of those links.  Why don't you respond to them before going off on something else?
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I take back what I said about fully trusting any website followed by .org. What the hell sources is that tin foil wearing all natural health site using?

You do realize people will actually click on these bogus links you keep providing right?
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

Wait - The Huffington Post is considered legit?

I'm waiting for her to post an article from GraspingAtStraws.com
  • Options
    Natural News is a joke and is not written by medical professionals. It's written by fake doctors and people who received online medical degrees. And huffington post? As a resource for science and medicine?! I don't think so.

Furthermore, scientific articles are difficult to interpret (obviously) and based on your misinterpretations and belief in fake news, I think maybe you need some help. Instead of perpetuating fake news and life threatening misconceptions, maybe you should realize you don't know what you're talking about. And stop hiding behind the "it's my belief" crap. You are wrong and your beliefs are selfish and endanger others.
  • Options

capulet said:

Many people throw around the CDC quote that 24,00 - 36,000 people die every year from the flu, which by the way was the same statistic used they used from 2003 - 2009. For starters that number is completely inaccurate.

bold because I can't get out of the quote box:  This needs a legit source.  Why should I take your word that it's inaccurate?  And I want to know if you can even begin to make a case that the supposed number of fetal deaths from one year of the vaccine even begins to rival the aggregate number of deaths of non-fetal people from the flu over the years.

Their lack in ability to produce accurate information that has been proven true is why I choose not to follow the "herd" on this particular vaccine. This is my opinion, criticize away, but I am not trying to change your mind or belittle your beliefs I am simply defending mine and others like me. If you want to debate this and try to change someones opinion on the matter provide more research to back what you say. I have quoted many different sources and have given links to most of them. 
    In all your verbiage, I found just one link.  That is poor source-citing for even a freshman-level research paper, let alone a scientific discussion, not to mention your source argued exactly the opposite of what you were claiming.
    My very first post had 2 links in it.
    Even in all the links I have used they were heavily scrutinized. One site was even from the World Health Organizations website and people still asked for accurate sources. I doesn't matter what source I choose to post...I could have the bama man in an interview claiming it is all a fake and no one would believe me. That is why last big post had none and the one before only had one. If you would like my sources for my last source I will provide them without a problem. Here is an absolutely wonderful post by non other than the Huffington
    1.  We repeatedly pointed out that you fundamentally misunderstood the WHO source, so I don't know why you keep bringing that up because it just makes you look more foolish.

2.  My political leanings are irrelevant to a scientific discussion, but they are not what you think they are.

3.  See other responses re: "the Huffington."
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:
    ::standing off to the side:: I'm loving sassy @capulet‌.
    Aww, I love you too!
  • Options
    Kill the quote trees!!!
  • Options
    janda426 said:
    Kill the quote trees!!!
    Oops, sorry about that!  I meant to edit it out of my post when I wrote it but forgot.  Just did it in case bettywhatshertits comes back.
  • Options
    I never claimed it to be reliable
  • Options
    wabushmawabushma member
    edited October 2014

wabushma said:
    https://www.realfarmacy.com/johns-hopkins-scientist-reveals-shocking-report-flu-vaccines/?fb_ref=widget
    Interesting article with some interesting comments. May not help you make a decision but it is interesting to hear what some people have to say. I, myself, am not getting one. 

Yeah that looks like a real reliable source you've got there.
    I never claimed it reliable.
  • Options
    wabushma said:

wabushma said:
    https://www.realfarmacy.com/johns-hopkins-scientist-reveals-shocking-report-flu-vaccines/?fb_ref=widget
    Interesting article with some interesting comments. May not help you make a decision but it is interesting to hear what some people have to say. I, myself, am not getting one. 

Yeah that looks like a real reliable source you've got there.
    I never claimed it reliable.

Than why post it? Because you can? [-(
  • Options
    For me it's about personal risk. I work in an office with only 4 other people. I have a separate office, run an air purifier, and as the only woman have my own bathroom. I mostly am at home when not at work. I wash my hands and do things to support my immune system (healthy diet, herbal teas, zinc, vitamin c, etc.) and my midwives do not recommend the flu vaccine for pregnant women unless there are heightened risk factors (teacher, nurse, gets sick often, etc.) I've never had the flu that I know of, unless it just seemed like a cold and I got over it on my own.

I'm not getting the flu shot, and I have never gotten the flu shot. My husband usually doesn't get one either but this year we are taking extra precautions since he is working in a large office and he is going to get the nasal spray sometime soon

If I start to show any signs of a cold, I will go to my doctor at the first signs. I'm not going to dumb and wait a week or two until it gets bad. Too much is at risk when there is someone else relying on my immune system too. 

Does this mean you're going to wear a mask during flu season when you are at the grocery store or the gas station or anywhere out?

Otherwise healthy patients with influenza shed the virus for 24 to 48 hours (ARE CONTAGIOUS) before they show any clinical symptoms. So all those people around you everywhere in everyday life? Potentially contagious to you.

THIS IS ALSO NOT A NEW IDEA! Everyone's accredited providers should be giving the same EVIDENCE BASED RECOMMENDATION. Vaccination with influenza vaccine has been recommended for pregnant women since the 1960s. Since 2004, the US Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has recommended that all women who are pregnant or will be pregnant during influenza season receive inactivated vaccine (NOT THE NASAL SPRAY), regardless of trimester.

In addition to protecting mama, influenza vaccination during pregnancy provides protection to her infant for up to six months after birth.

There are multiple studies backing up the efficacy and safety of the influenza vaccine in pregnancy, therefore explaining the recommendation of ACOG (The American College of OB/Gyns), The British/Royal college of OB/Gyns, and the American Board of Certified Midwives that pregnant women receive the vaccine for the protection of themselves and their babies.

Here are a few:
    Zaman K, et al. Effectiveness of maternal influenza immunization in mothers and infants. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(15):1555. 

Madhi SA et al for the Maternal Flu Trial (Matflu) Team. Influenza vaccination of pregnant women and protection of their infants. N Engl J Med. 2014 Sep;371(10):918-31.

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options
    For me it's about personal risk. I work in an office with only 4 other people. I have a separate office, run an air purifier, and as the only woman have my own bathroom. I mostly am at home when not at work. I wash my hands and do things to support my immune system (healthy diet, herbal teas, zinc, vitamin c, etc.) and my midwives do not recommend the flu vaccine for pregnant women unless there are heightened risk factors (teacher, nurse, gets sick often, etc.) I've never had the flu that I know of, unless it just seemed like a cold and I got over it on my own.

I'm not getting the flu shot, and I have never gotten the flu shot. My husband usually doesn't get one either but this year we are taking extra precautions since he is working in a large office and he is going to get the nasal spray sometime soon

If I start to show any signs of a cold, I will go to my doctor at the first signs. I'm not going to dumb and wait a week or two until it gets bad. Too much is at risk when there is someone else relying on my immune system too. 

This is silly logic.  I worked in a small real estate/ bond office.  There were a total of four employees including myself.  There were three of us working one day.  In the time it took me to drive up the block to pick up my lunch order.  My sick boss came in, sat at my desk, used my phone and computer and gave me the flu.  What followed were the worst 7 days of my life. 

THE! FUCKING! WORST! 

It only takes one person.  Unless you're an office of one, you run the risk of getting the flu.  
  • Options
    I never got the flu shot before I was pregnant and never did when I was. Not because I didn't want to, I literally forgot to ask at every appointment and just didn't think about it. Now that I have my daughter, I got the flu shot for the first time ever, my husband had his and she also got hers at 6 months. Why not just get it? I would recommend it to every pregnant woman

It's a BOY

• Options
    So I have NEVER gotten a flu shot...however my OB talked me into it at my 14 week appointment. His selling point was that after I have my baby, and begin nursing, that immunization will be passed onto the baby.  I felt that was reason enough to get the flu shot....knowing that my baby who won't have any immunizations for 8 weeks of their life, will have a little something from for a while.

***SIGGY WARNING***

me: 28 - all test normal
    DH: 33 - SA normal

*unexplained*

TTC since September 2011
    2011-Oct.2013 - trying off and on, ob/gyn, no meds
    November 2013-December-EOD, ob/gyn, no meds

January 2014- ob/gyn ordered Clomid (50 mg) unmonitored, EOD-BFN
    February-Clomid 50 mg. unmontiored, EOD - BFN
    March-Switched to RE
    April- 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    May - 100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel-BFN
    June-*BREAK/Switch RE*
    July- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #1- BFN
    August- 5 mg Femara/Ovidrel + IUI #2 - BFP!!!!

EDD: May 7th, 2015: Team PINK

• Options
    I was strongly advised by my ob/gyn to get it asap.
  • Options
    Flu is on the rise after the holiday. My OB & GP have advised all at-risk populations be vaccinated. It's serious business.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Let me continue. The Who went on to say this 
    "Antiviral drugs are available for treatment, however influenza viruses can develop resistance to the drugs.

So now, you who take this vaccine are at greater risk of causing this virus to build an immunity to the vaccine. Thus, creating a greater, stronger, potentially more deadly virus. This country is constantly over vaccinating creating extremely deadly super viruses such as, CRE and MRSA. These superbugs are born in hospitals and clinics and are extremely deadly. CRE has a 50% mortality rate. As apposed to the flu's 5-10% in adults and 20-30% in elderly 65 and above. As reported by WHO. 

Vaccine =/= antiviral drug.

MRSA is not the result of vaccinations. What vaccine do you think caused that one? Polio? MMR?

Good God. Get your shit straight.

Thank you for that lovely insight. I am well aware of MRSA not being a vaccine induced superbug. Never the less it is a superbug that originated from the confines of our lovely places of medical treatment. And I am not sure where you got that I said polio was a super bug created by over vaccination. 

Vaccines cause viruses, over time, to genetically mutate. Thus, leaving vaccinated peoples unvaccinated to the mutated strain. This happened in America in 2006 and 2010 with the mumps. The specific genotype that is vaccinated for the mumps is type A. The one that infected so many was of a mutated  strain, genotype G. The outbreak was, for the most part, kept hush hush by the CDC. 

Good god. I have my shit straight. 

If need be I can make you a wonderful list of every website link to every drug induced superbug, cover up, lie, horror stories of vaccinations. I have an arsenal at my disposal. For every Fox, ABC, CNN, CDC, and presidential report I can find a dozen more supporting my stance on the medical field. 

I feel like you would benefit from a basic microbiology course. You would learn that that's not how any of this works.
  • Options
    I have a severe neomycin allergy which is an ingredient in the flu shot so I can't get one, but even if I could I would probably pass. Even the preservative-free ones still contain aluminum and this year's shot missed the mark so to me it wouldn't be worth the potential risks for a shot that probably won't actually protect you from the flu.
  • Options
    janda426 said:
    Umm, no it didn't "miss the mark" it's still at least 50% effective which is a 50% higher chance of protection than not getting it. I swear people don't read those articles when they come out, only the headlines. Also not sure why this needed to be bumped for this oh so wise contribution
    Do you actually understand what 50% effective means? It does NOT mean that 50% of people who get the flu shot will be protected from the flu. Those statistics are based on "relative risk" which means that, for example, if they studied 200 people, half of whom got the flu shot, and 2 people in the non-flu shot group got the flu and only 1 person in the flu shot group got the flu then it was "50% effective" based on the relative risk of getting the flu in the first place even though it only prevented one instance of the flu and basically only 1% of people who got the shot saw any actual benefit from it. So really we don't know how many people might actually benefit from the shot unless they share the actual numbers from the efficacy study. Just to clarify because I think when a lot of people hear 50% effective they think it means you're actually cutting your risk in half and you're not.
  • Options
    Gosh, excuse me for responding to a post that was on the front page of the section without carefully paying attention to when it was originally posted. Maybe in the future you should post an expiration date or mods should lock the thread so people know at what point they are no longer welcome to comment on a topic that's still relevant.

• Options
    VerdahekawiVerdahekawi member
    edited December 2014
    I was not deliberately bumping a specific post. I saw a thread on the first page and I commented on it. For all the bitchy pushback that happens when somebody starts a post with a caveat that they don't want to hear certain responses you people sure think it's ok to tell certain people not to respond to someone else's post if you don't like what they have to say. And sorry, I base my decisions on facts and statistics even if you don't like them. I don't have an agenda. People can vaccinate if they want and I don't get offended but the question was what are YOU doing and that's the question I answered.

For the record I use aluminum-free deodorant...
  • Options
    Even the EPA classifies it as a neurotoxin. 
  • Options
    VerdahekawiVerdahekawi member
    edited December 2014
    (Who's bumping now? lol) Also AFwifelife, I can't see a thing you post unless someone else quotes you because I have you ignored for being horrid on another thread.
  • Options
    Some truth bombs up in here!

+1 for Anti-Vax Island.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Every time I see a crazy anti vaxxer post I wonder if that person has ever drank diet soda. Or eaten any food that wasn't fully prepared from raw ingredients by their own hand. It drives me crazy thinking that there are people out there that think flu shots are poison but then go to Starbucks for some fancy coffee drink made with chemical flavor syrup. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    janda426 said:
    Umm, no it didn't "miss the mark" it's still at least 50% effective which is a 50% higher chance of protection than not getting it. I swear people don't read those articles when they come out, only the headlines. Also not sure why this needed to be bumped for this oh so wise contribution
    Do you actually understand what 50% effective means? It does NOT mean that 50% of people who get the flu shot will be protected from the flu. Those statistics are based on "relative risk" which means that, for example, if they studied 200 people, half of whom got the flu shot, and 2 people in the non-flu shot group got the flu and only 1 person in the flu shot group got the flu then it was "50% effective" based on the relative risk of getting the flu in the first place even though it only prevented one instance of the flu and basically only 1% of people who got the shot saw any actual benefit from it. So really we don't know how many people might actually benefit from the shot unless they share the actual numbers from the efficacy study. Just to clarify because I think when a lot of people hear 50% effective they think it means you're actually cutting your risk in half and you're not.
    Well, actually, to be more accurate, the fact is that more than 50% of the strains of influenza identified to date this year are not included in the current flu vaccine.  So, if a person is exposed to a strain that is not included in the vaccine, then obviously the protection offered by the vaccine would be minimal.  Meanwhile, if the individual is exposed to one of the strains of influenza included in the vaccine, they would have some degree of protection.  So the vaccine effectiveness would depend on which influenza strain you happen to encounter, which of course, you would have no way of knowing.  

The most important measures you can take to avoid infection would be to practice good hand hygiene (including carrying hand sanitizer), avoid extremely crowded locations, avoid sick contacts, avoid touching your face excessively.  
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Never had a flu shot and I don't think I've ever had a case of the flu when I was little that didn't pass within a few days and haven't had it since and I'm 42. Dr Sears Vaccine Book (and this is not all I've read nor will it be my last source of info) but prior to 2010 flu vax was not considered safe for pregnant women as it was labeled as a class C risk category and even now it's only a B category. Why? Because there are not enough actual human studies to prove its safety. And if you read the actual PI on a flu vaccine it says "it is also not known whether the flu vaccine can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman". It is a valid opinion that animal research alone is not enough to verify the safety of the flu vax for pregnant women. I'm not an anti vaxxer per se but the flu vax especially, is questionable and seems to be the least effective. And if you're a family that eats a lot of GMO laden foods, which can cause leaky gut, then that's when some real problems can arise from the toxins from the vaccines leaking into your brain and other organs to cause real damage. If I get a bfp I won't be running to get a flu vaccine. My choice. My decision. And people shouldn't be berating other people on here for their choices.
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• Options
    vballbaby said:

Never had a flu shot and I don't think I've ever had a case of the flu when I was little that didn't pass within a few days and haven't had it since and I'm 42. Dr Sears Vaccine Book (and this is not all I've read nor will it be my last source of info) but prior to 2010 flu vax was not considered safe for pregnant women as it was labeled as a class C risk category and even now it's only a B category. Why? Because there are not enough actual human studies to prove its safety. And if you read the actual PI on a flu vaccine it says "it is also not known whether the flu vaccine can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman". It is a valid opinion that animal research alone is not enough to verify the safety of the flu vax for pregnant women. I'm not an anti vaxxer per se but the flu vax especially, is questionable and seems to be the least effective. And if you're a family that eats a lot of GMO laden foods, which can cause leaky gut, then that's when some real problems can arise from the toxins from the vaccines leaking into your brain and other organs to cause real damage. If I get a bfp I won't be running to get a flu vaccine. My choice. My decision. And people shouldn't be berating other people on here for their choices.

Do you take prenatal vitamins? Because those are also category B. Yet I'm almost certain you would take those without thinking twice about it. Weird.

Also category B: Zofran and just about every other common prescription morning sickness medication. The more you know...The stupider anti-vaxxers sound.
  • Options
    @delujm0 I actually take food based prenatal vitamins, not synthetics that would be classified as such. @ettoile you should do some more research on GMO foods and get back to me on what you find about leaky gut. Is it so surprising that foods (i.e. corn etc with bt toxins built right in) could cause detrimental harm to your gut that would allow things that shouldn't pass through the gut to find it's way to other organs? Why do you think this country has become so sick in the past 10 years? It's not a coincidence. Anyhoo I'm getting off topic. I would pass on the flu vaccine for reasons simply that there is not enough research to its safety to a fetus, and the research that's out there that actually proves how little it actually protects you. @redheadbaker, I can recommend some new movies for you if you need some better come backs.
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• Options
    So... I got a flu shot about a week ago. My arm hurt like a bitch for a few days, so that sucked. Obviously, I have nothing of value to add to this thread...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"