October 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Links & Talk

Re: Breastfeeding Links & Talk

• Options
    I tried searching. Didn't find the answer to this question. So if I have pumped 2 Oz bottles at different times of the day, but on the same day, can I add them together after they have both been in the fridge and are the same temp. Or do I need to feed them separately?
  • Options
    @suncake‌ yes you can mix
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married 11/5/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First of all, I just want to thank everyone for this thread! The questions and advice are so helpful. You are all the best.

Secondly, I have a question about the nipple shield. DD has been latching without it about half of the time, but I notice that she falls off much more quickly and then gets fussy. Do your babies fall off quickly if not using the shield? Should I just keep trying to get her to re-latch if she is fussy? And will this get better with time, as in will she stay latched for longer as she gets used to not using the shield? I think she is just able to be lazier when latching with the shield as opposed to without it. I would prefer to not use the shield primarily because of the mess involved with the shield, but I admit that I haven't been prompting her to latch without it as much as I should because she doesn't seem to eat as much (or for as long) without it.
    TIA!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Baby is latching without the shield :)

\:D/
    imageimage
  • Options
    rosalie12 said:

First of all, I just want to thank everyone for this thread! The questions and advice are so helpful. You are all the best.

Secondly, I have a question about the nipple shield. DD has been latching without it about half of the time, but I notice that she falls off much more quickly and then gets fussy. Do your babies fall off quickly if not using the shield? Should I just keep trying to get her to re-latch if she is fussy? And will this get better with time, as in will she stay latched for longer as she gets used to not using the shield? I think she is just able to be lazier when latching with the shield as opposed to without it. I would prefer to not use the shield primarily because of the mess involved with the shield, but I admit that I haven't been prompting her to latch without it as much as I should because she doesn't seem to eat as much (or for as long) without it.
    TIA!!

Have you had LO evaluated for tongue and/or lip ties? Sometimes babies with ties have a difficult time maintaining a latch for very long. It might be something worth looking into.

I would offer the breast again, perhaps after burping her, and only end the session if she doesn't want to nurse more. She won't overeat. :) When she's full, she will stop showing interest in nursing. You could also offer the other side if she's been nursing for a while already.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

rosalie12 said:

TIA!!

Have you had LO evaluated for tongue and/or lip ties? Sometimes babies with ties have a difficult time maintaining a latch for very long. It might be something worth looking into.

I would offer the breast again, perhaps after burping her, and only end the session if she doesn't want to nurse more. She won't overeat. :) When she's full, she will stop showing interest in nursing. You could also offer the other side if she's been nursing for a while already.
    Yes, I had her evaluated by a LC and she said everything in her mouth was normal. I will try to keep offering the breast! Thanks!

• Options
    Dull ache. On the surface. Nursing makes it a bit worse. 

Eta: *Sometimes* nursing makes it a bit worse. Other times it has no effect.

@Emerald27‌

I'm not sure if you saw my reply to your questions or not, so I'm reposting it.

• Options
    narabug said:

@Emerald27‌

Hey! Sorry, I missed it. For some reason TB mobile has been loading weird lately and skipping down past comments I haven't read.

Sounds like it could be soreness from a shallow latch, especially if he has a good latch most of the time and only occasionally latches poorly, so that you're not sore all the time, just after those feedings. Maybe encourage him to open very wide when you latch him on, and pay attention to the shape of your nipple after feedings. If it's pointed like a pencil or on one side like a lipstick, that typically indicates a shallow latch. If you see that and experience soreness, you'll know to try next time for a better latch.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

narabug said:

@Emerald27‌

Hey! Sorry, I missed it. For some reason TB mobile has been loading weird lately and skipping down past comments I haven't read.

Sounds like it could be soreness from a shallow latch, especially if he has a good latch most of the time and only occasionally latches poorly, so that you're not sore all the time, just after those feedings. Maybe encourage him to open very wide when you latch him on, and pay attention to the shape of your nipple after feedings. If it's pointed like a pencil or on one side like a lipstick, that typically indicates a shallow latch. If you see that and experience soreness, you'll know to try next time for a better latch.
    Thanks! I'll be sure to keep an eye on that and pay more attention to how he latches.

It's been skipping posts for me too.
  • Options

I only nurse one breast at a time. When I pump for my freezer stash after a morning feed, should I pump both sides or just one? And if just one, which one?

That's up to you. My inclination would be to pump the breast you did not nurse with, and begin the next feeding with that breast. Have you tried pumping while nursing? It can be a bit tricky to figure out how to handle baby and pump, but some moms say they get a higher pump yield when they nurse at the same time. Just a thought. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited November 2014

Emerald27 said:

I only nurse one breast at a time. When I pump for my freezer stash after a morning feed, should I pump both sides or just one? And if just one, which one?

That's up to you. My inclination would be to pump the breast you did not nurse with, and begin the next feeding with that breast. Have you tried pumping while nursing? It can be a bit tricky to figure out how to handle baby and pump, but some moms say they get a higher pump yield when they nurse at the same time. Just a thought. :)
    I have been pumping both and I actually get a ton of milk. I usually get 2 oz on the side she eats from and 3.5 on the other side! I am more concerned about overstimulating. I just didn't know what people normally did.
    That's quite a lot! :-bd

ETA: If you want to let your supply adjust down a bit, you could just pump the one unused side. Are you returning to work in a couple weeks? If LO doesn't have reflux like symptoms and you're not frequently engorged, you can keep up the pumping in preparation for going back to work.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Cantisa said:

Why is hand pumping so much faster/efficient for me than double electric?!

This is true for me too! Wtf?
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • Options
    Cantisa said:

Why is hand pumping so much faster/efficient for me than double electric?!

Your hand is more like the massaging action of baby's jaw than the pump suction is. Lots of moms find that once they get the hang of hand expression, it's much better/easier/faster than pumping. :) Congrats!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ok, so dd is doing much better with latching without the nipple shield but I think she has a shallow latch (lipstick shaped nipples, pain, pinched with white line occasionally). I've been trying to relatch with little success. I know laid back position can help this but I can't seem to get it to work.

Any tips on doing this? I looked at the previously posted links but I'm looking for any tricks you guys might have found.

I'm willing to do a little work before I call the LC again because when I notice weird shape or pain and dd won't latch correctly I have just been using the shield again.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @sabby2 When you recline for laid-back breastfeeding, sit as though you were on a sofa, planning to watch tv for an hour. You wouldn't sit up straight, feet flat on the floor...nor would you lay flat on the sofa. You might recline a bit turned sideways, pillow behind you, with your feet up. That's the proper angle for this breastfeeding position.

The main idea is to get comfortable and snugly with LO. Place her skin-to-skin up on your chest between your breasts. She should start bobbing her head, rooting, or even kind of lunging in the direction of the breast. Guide her toward whichever she chooses with your hands, and then extend the arm on that side to provide support along her body. Most of her weight will be supported by your body, but this arm will help support her and keep her from rolling off you too.

You can help her latch (some sources say to let baby do it herself, but I've always found that this involves a fair bit of trial and error and occasional bruises and hickeys from mistakes...not cool). Her head should be positioned such that she is slightly above the nipple, so that gravity can help her latch while at the same time her nose remains clear.

An alternative to this method is to latch baby in cradle hold, lean back and gently lift baby to reposition her slightly above the breast. This works well doing laid-back with baby across your abdomen instead of parallel to your body.

Here are some great photos that illustrate laid-back breastfeeding...

Note how the moms in these photos use their arm to help support baby, and how it's just a slight variation from cradle hold (baby is slightly above the breast and mom is reclined so that baby's weight is supported by her body):
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby can either lay parallel to your body or across your body, like in this photo:

Good luck! Maybe a call to the LC would be helpful, because she could help you get the position right. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    At wits end - my 1w old won't stop feeding. She cries bloody murder if we try to get her to sleep and acts like she is starving immediately following a feed (sucking hands, rooting, etc.). I know it could be a latch issue but it doesn't feel that way. She has had at least 5 poopy diapers today, peeing fine and spitting up. In fact last night I did back to back feedings and she basically threw up what I gave her because of that tiny tummy.
    I don't know what to do, I have a breastfeeding support group on Tuesday but feel at a loss until then..
    I also pumped to make sure I am making enough - got 2 Oz on one side, 1.5 on the other. Hubby Tried giving her a bottle tonight to see if that would help, she won't take it. I wasn't in room.
    Any advice?? And thank you guys for all the help so far, this is my life-saving thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @applebottomgenes‌ What are you considering a "feeding"? If she roots and shows hunger cues immediately after a feeding, perhaps she isn't done yet?

Will she fall asleep nursing? Sometimes with teeny babies it can help to let them nurse to sleep and either unlatch themselves or you gently unlatch them once they're deeply asleep.

What does LO do between feedings when you do skin-to-skin?

Best of luck! It's normal to feel like LO is latched on nonstop in the early weeks. Their tummies are so tiny and they metabolize breastmilk so quickly. They nurse and nurse and grow and grow (and sleep some too), but that's it! It does get better and easier.

((Hugs)) Hang in there! It really does sound like your supply is good and this is normal newborn nursing behavior.

ETA: it's not possible to overfeed a breastfed baby. She's not spitting up because she's eating too much. Sometimes they spit up because they eat too fast, but mostly its just because their digestive systems are immature. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here's a dumb question. Is the peppermint in my Burts bees chapstick enough to effect my supply? My lips are super dry...
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sabby2 said:

Here's a dumb question. Is the peppermint in my Burts bees chapstick enough to effect my supply? My lips are super dry...

Nope! You're good. Like Amy said, topical use on your lips won't affect your supply. Even eating a small amount shouldn't, unless your supply is sensitive to foods. It's just one of those things to limit when you can.

Also, maybe drink some more water. Chapped lips can mean you're dehydrated. ;)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

@applebottomgenes‌ What are you considering a "feeding"? If she roots and shows hunger cues immediately after a feeding, perhaps she isn't done yet?

Will she fall asleep nursing? Sometimes with teeny babies it can help to let them nurse to sleep and either unlatch themselves or you gently unlatch them once they're deeply asleep.

What does LO do between feedings when you do skin-to-skin?

Best of luck! It's normal to feel like LO is latched on nonstop in the early weeks. Their tummies are so tiny and they metabolize breastmilk so quickly. They nurse and nurse and grow and grow (and sleep some too), but that's it! It does get better and easier.

((Hugs)) Hang in there! It really does sound like your supply is good and this is normal newborn nursing behavior.

ETA: it's not possible to overfeed a breastfed baby. She's not spitting up because she's eating too much. Sometimes they spit up because they eat too fast, but mostly its just because their digestive systems are immature. :)

Thank you!
    Feeding varies between one or both breasts but typically between 30-40minutes. Yesterday I did 38 minutes and directly after she was sucking her hand looking for more!

During our 3am feeding I kept her close to me and even when she unlatched from both, I stayed put and offered her breast again. She did about 4 min on one and fell asleep.

It's really good to know she can't overfeed, I was really nervous. I guess the silver lining on this is that by Monday she will probably be back up to her birth weight which was our goal from pediatrician. If not then we will know it's a bigger issue - this kid feeds.

Thank you again- just reading this at 3am made me feel better. You're awesome.
  • Options
    @applebottomgenes‌ Exactly what you said! If she's not gaining weight well, she may have a milk transfer issue, or difficulty expressing milk for some reason (weak suck, tongue/lip tie, etc.). There's NO cause for concern, though, unless she's not gaining weight, so don't worry about those things now. :) It's much more likely that she's just a hungry newborn! Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm starting to wonder if LO is having trouble transferring milk from my right breast. He nurses for longer on it time-wise than the left, sometimes as long as 35 minutes straight but it still feels full/firm afterward. He nurses in my left breast for 15-20 minutes on average, and this breast always feels softer.

My last nursing session LO just nursed on the right side for 20 minutes and fell asleep, could not be roused by burping to take the second breast. Still though, my left breast feels softer even though it hasn't been nursed on in almost 5 hours. The right breast which he just ate from still feels firm to the touch. What gives? Should I maybe start pumping this one? It's also got the extreme lipstick look that I can't correct no matter what I try. :-/

ETA: he seems satisfied after eating, doesn't fuss between feedings and his dirty diaper output is great, so I think he's getting enough. I just wonder if he's tiring himself out from sucking so hard at the right breast that he passes out and that's why he's not taking the left.
  • Options
    Just went through the 200+ posts that I was behind on and I agree with everyone else who has said it… I'm so grateful for this thread and all the knowledge and good advice found in it! I continue to learn so much!

Anyway, here's my question: When do cluster feedings (outside of a growth spurts) go away? Or at least when do babies become more efficient with them? LO has marathon sessions every single day… usually at least a couple that run as long as 1.5 hrs at a time. It's driving me insane and I'm afraid that once my mom leaves us in a couple of weeks, I won't be able to maintain those type of sessions since I also have a very active and demanding toddler at home. I want to EBF as long as possible but I am definitely considering supplementing with formula and/or bottles of expressed milk if we can't get our sessions to become more efficient more regularly. Any advice?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @vrj0522 These fussy times of day when baby wants to cluster feed are typically outgrown by 3-4 months. ((Hugs)) It's tough but it really doesn't last! And baby will become more and more efficient as you go along. Have you noticed feedings getting shorter at all already? Often by 2-3 months, baby starts feeding more quickly (when he's not cluster feeding). This really is normal behavior, and I would encourage you not to supplement, as doing so could impact your supply.

Some mothers find it really helpful to create a "nursing nest" for themselves, where they have a comfy place to nurse with water, snacks, a book/magazine/iPhone or iPad/TV remote, a blanket, etc., accessible. This way, when baby cluster feeds, other than the occasional trip to the bathroom, mom has plenty to entertain herself with and make the time pass more easily. It helps when they're happy feeders and not fussy...

Like Theresa suggested, some mothers also find that walking with baby in a carrier and nursing there makes them feel less tied down and passes the time more easily. Babies also often are soothed by the movement of the carrier - coupled with the comfort of the breast, some fall asleep more easily too!
    imageimage
  • Options
    We've had mostly green poops for almost a whole day now. DD is nursing about 20 minutes a side with a good suck and audible swallow for almost all 20 minutes. I let her finish and take herself off the nipple every time. What else can I do? I don't even know if I should be concerned.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sabby2 said:

We've had mostly green poops for almost a whole day now. DD is nursing about 20 minutes a side with a good suck and audible swallow for almost all 20 minutes. I let her finish and take herself off the nipple every time. What else can I do? I don't even know if I should be concerned.

You really don't need to worry. :) Here's a quote from Dr. Jack Newman on green poops:

"I was just asked by email to post about green bowel movements (stools, poops). My usual response to mothers is along following the following lines:

"Is the baby usually content? Is the baby drinking well from the breast (see the videos at our website that show babies drinking well from the breast or not)? Is the baby gaining weight well? If the answer to all these questions is "yes" then don't worry about the colour of the poops, don't go on any special diets, don't feed the baby on just one breast at a feeding. Feed the baby normally, that is "Finish one side and offer the second side". If the baby doesn't want the second breast, fine. But offer it. Do not do "block feeding"."

Note that keeping the baby on just one breast is not the answer. If the baby is not actually drinking at the breast, he is not getting hindmilk. I wish we had never heard of hindmilk. True, milk increases in fat as the baby continues to get milk from the breast (but not if he's sucking without drinking). Usually the notion of hindmilk causes confusion and results in mothers getting advice that doesn't make sense.

I am often tempted to say also, "put on sunglasses, so you don't see the colour of the bowel movements", but I don't.

If the baby is not usually content, if the baby is not drinking well, if the baby is not gaining weight well, then the problem is not the colour of the bowel movements.

What causes the bowel movements to be green? Rapid transit through the baby's gut. That's all!"
    imageimage
  • Options
    Kind of an expansion on what @Emerald27‌ posted above. At my hospitol, ;), we had to attend a little information session before discharge. The nurse told us that foremilk and hind milk isn't really a thing and it just matters that the baby is eating. Don't worry about how long he is at each breast.

I thought this was odd because it seems the fore/hind milk was definitely a thing when I had my first a couple years ago. Anyway, I looked into it more and found that the general feeling was what the nurse had said this time - just feed your baby and make sure they are gaining. Don't worry about what milk your kid is getting.

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/worries-about-foremilk-and-hindmilk

I wish this was communicated to more mothers because it was something I worried about unnecessarily with my first.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I still get the lipstick nip on one of my nipples, though. Nothing I've tried corrects this! If it no longer hurts, is it ok to just leave it as is? Or will the pinched shape restrict milk flow?

Sure! I would just keep it in the back of your mind in case you begin to exoerience some soreness. And encourage LO to open wide for every latch. It will likely get better and better with time and growth, since baby will get better and better at nursing.
    imageimage
  • Options
    One time of a longer than 6 hour stretch of sleep won't cause ovulation to return, right?
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sabby2sabby2 member
    edited November 2014
    Noted. I'm hoping not. I guess I will be setting an alarm.

Eta DD still has been eating 8 -10 times a day
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @crawford411 I find them unbelievable. She just started doing this otherwise was waking up every 3 to 4 hours from the start of one feeding to the next at night. Sunny will get there too. If it's any consolation I think I will be waking her up at 5 to 6 hours if she keeps this up. My engorgement can't handle those stretches.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sabby2sabby2 member
    edited November 2014
    @Emerald27 @amyg* Any insight about the sleep stretch and return of ovulation?
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yeah I love my hand pump. I get way more milk with it!

• Options

Is it normal to have your breast let down randomly throughout the day?  I only notice it occasionally when I'm actually feeding, but I get it about every 2 hours randomly.  It's actually pretty uncomfortable and I sometimes only feel it on one side, sometimes both.  It's like tingles and electric shocks shooting down my boobs.

ETA. I don't leak when they let down.  I never leak.  I just have that uncomfortable feeling for 5-10 seconds, then it goes away.

I get this too. I was wondering the same.
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @crawford411 I never leak either and I get that feeling too. Sometimes I just look at DS and feel the letdown.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"