May 2014 Moms
Options

The Food (for babies) Thread

Re: The Food (for babies) Thread

• Options
    I put some hummus on a mum mum for DS tonight, he downed the thing in under a minute!
  • Options
    Awesome! Thanks I'll pick some up tomorrow and see how it goes!

It's a BOY

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    JKBMA2014 said:

Ok, I tried to puree a combo of carrots and peas. It turned out OK bit definitely had way more texture than store bought Peas (which is practically like yogurt). I tried it myself and made sure I could swallow without chewing... but when I gave it to dd she started gagging really bad. I finally stuck my finger down her throat because I thought she was choking. My mom says it's from the different texture. To be honest, it would be nearly impossible for her to choke on it. So is it possible that it was just from the texture change? Is my cooking that bad? I gave her puffs too to try to see if she would enjoy the flavor more and the same thing happened. She figured it out the second time around but I still freaked out.

Eta: I notice this is a common question. I apologize for a repeat! But some insight would still be great :)

@JKBMA2014‌ It's pretty normal when transitioning from purees. With purees LO is used to slurping it straight to the back of the throat. Once you introduced mashed foods or finger food they have to learn to move it around the mouth and swallow. There will be gagging until she figures it out. The thing to remember is if she's coughing and making sound, she's not chocking. Chocking is silent.
  • Options
    Ok so how many "meals" is everyone doing now? We are doing 2 with an occasional little meal at dinner with us? Also mamas that are doing purées how many oz are you giving per meal? DS is only drinking about 20-24 oz a day so I'm trying to cut back on oz for food given. He can easliy put away 4-5 oz if I let him but then an hour later won't want a bottle. So we are down to 2-3 oz a meal.
  • Options
    THD7580 said:

Ok so how many "meals" is everyone doing now? We are doing 2 with an occasional little meal at dinner with us? Also mamas that are doing purées how many oz are you giving per meal? DS is only drinking about 20-24 oz a day so I'm trying to cut back on oz for food given. He can easliy put away 4-5 oz if I let him but then an hour later won't want a bottle. So we are down to 2-3 oz a meal.

I breastfeed 5-8 times a day (plus 2 MOTN). Then DD sits at the table with us breakfast, lunch and dinner. She wants all the food. I usually give her some finger food at breakfast and lunch, and DH gives her a puree at dinner. She eats about half a jar of stage 2 in a sitting, so roughly 2oz.
  • Options
    THD7580 said:

DD eats four 7-ounce bottles a day and 3 meals. Meals are probably 3 ounces? Breakfast is rice cereal with prunes, lunch is mashed squash or sweet potatoes or another veggie and dinner is more finger foods, toast, banana, etc with some purée to supplement since she the dog gets most of DDs dinner.
  • Options
    THD7580 said:

3 BLW meals and a pm snack, 20 oz at daycare and nurses once in the morning and once at night.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @THD7580‌ my dr told me at the 6mth visit that he should be up to 16 oz a day of baby food and to be at around 36 oz of formula. I'm sure it depends on whether you LO just started food and the size of your baby. I'm sure my 22 pounder requires more food than a 15 lb baby, for example.
    He eats three meals a day (about 13 oz total. Still working towards 16) and 6 oz bottles every 3 hours. Wish we could space out his feedings to 4 hours, but he won't let us. Lol

Now that I think about it I don't add puffs, Cheerios, mum-mums, the occasional pancake and etc to the 16 oz. Maybe I should be?! Oops!
  • Options

becole42 said:

I wouldn't worry about working to an "ounce" goal. I would follow your babys lead. They should be capable of eating what they need and letting you know if they need more.

This. Breast milk and formula are necessary and the primary source of nutrients up until they're a year old. So there shouldn't be a focus on getting a certain amount of ounces of solids in. Andplusalso, I think most of us have agreed that with the introduction of solids, all our babies began taking in less BM & / or formula. DS used to take in 36 oz of formula / day, & now he takes 24 oz.
    Yeah I know. I just wanted to see where everyone was at this point. No harm no foul.
  • Options
    @THD7580‌ @becole42‌ true. That is true. I don't force feed him. He gets what he wants and when he doesn't want anymore I don't give him anymore and assume he's full. I think the 16 oz is a guesstimate or what the average 6 mth old is working to. I should have explained that before, but I didn't think anyone would assume that all babies should be in the same amount. I'm sure you guys knew that they're all different, but just wanted to clarify.
  • Options
    I kind of go all around. Depending on her attitude and mine. Sometimes I can squeeze in a breakfast before the gym but if not, I usually do a lunch and dinner. I never sub for bottles. She still gets about 24-26 oz. of formula a day.

It's a BOY

• Options
    Ok, I tried to puree a combo of carrots and peas. It turned out OK bit definitely had way more texture than store bought Peas (which is practically like yogurt). I tried it myself and made sure I could swallow without chewing... but when I gave it to dd she started gagging really bad. I finally stuck my finger down her throat because I thought she was choking. My mom says it's from the different texture. To be honest, it would be nearly impossible for her to choke on it. So is it possible that it was just from the texture change? Is my cooking that bad? I gave her puffs too to try to see if she would enjoy the flavor more and the same thing happened. She figured it out the second time around but I still freaked out. Eta: I notice this is a common question. I apologize for a repeat! But some insight would still be great :)
    @JKBMA2014‌ It's pretty normal when transitioning from purees. With purees LO is used to slurping it straight to the back of the throat. Once you introduced mashed foods or finger food they have to learn to move it around the mouth and swallow. There will be gagging until she figures it out. The thing to remember is if she's coughing and making sound, she's not chocking. Chocking is silent.
    Since I gave her some puffs she has actually been doing much better! However, she still wasn't a fan of my peas/carrots. Tasted fine to me. I heard you can add a little lemon juice for flavor so I did that and it made it even made it better! But still no luck. Maybe it's still the texture things? Even though she isn't gagging anymore, maybe she is just still getting used to it.

It's a BOY

• Options
    And I found mums at target, but I thought these looked a bit tastier and she loves them. I also bought puff like things from the same brand. She likes them all!

It's a BOY

• Options
    @JKBMA2014‌ I saw them and was wondering what they were like. Great! I'll try them. Thanks
  • Options
    @JKBMA2014‌ I saw them and was wondering what they were like. Great! I'll try them. Thanks
    @deanna1313 I was confused about the mum mums because none of them said anything about flavor or anything. Just one with veggie and then one with rice. Although I hear they are great and went there strictly for them, I ended up being sold on these!

It's a BOY

• Options
    @becole42‌ everything you said! I agree and felt bad that I didn't clarify. I NEVER take the drs word on anything because every baby is different and I was annoyed with myself for not better explaining originally. She asked what everyone was doing and I just gave my thoughts and what we are doing. I know some worry about over/ under feeding and I should have taken that into account. Also, babies that didn't start solids until 6 mths would also not be ready for 16 oz. It takes a while to work up to more. I take my child's lead as I think most should.
  • Options
    @becole42‌ everything you said! I agree and felt bad that I didn't clarify. I NEVER take the drs word on anything because every baby is different and I was annoyed with myself for not better explaining originally. She asked what everyone was doing and I just gave my thoughts and what we are doing. I know some worry about over/ under feeding and I should have taken that into account. Also, babies that didn't start solids until 6 mths would also not be ready for 16 oz. It takes a while to work up to more. I take my child's lead as I think most should.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Just getting the hang of this parenting thing! Sometimes you think you've got it down then bam! Something new lol.
  • Options
    @comicsans - here are some examples. 

Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg with a pinch of cheese and a diced green pepper strip and a diced mushroom; 5 blackberries

Lunch: 3 cucumber slices; 3-4 oz of shredded chicken breast; slice of avocado

Snack: 1 package of the stonyfield baby yogurt

Dinner: baked sweet potato wedges (3); steamed broccoli crowns (3); steamed pear slices (2-3)

If she eats it all, I give her more. She stops eating when she's full and starts playing with it. Does that help?

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    @bunannie‌ - hummus is great on toast fingers too!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    @bunannie - DD is a huge fan of roasted sweet potato wedges. I sprinkle olive oil, chili powder and cinnamon and roast until fork easily goes through. Leave the peel on. DD uses the peel to get all the potato out and doesn't eat it.

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    haykay13 said:

@JCrew152‌ your baby girl is lucky! You come up with some good stuff to feed her! :)

Thanks! I read a book that encouraged a lot of different spices. DD will NOT be a pbj and chicken nuggets kid.

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    @Jcrewgirl85‌ , what books have you read? We have only really done puréed food but I've given her bread to chew on and things like that. I've been thinking about starting to introduce more normal food soon. Just a little nervous, so whatever good book you can recommend would be awesome :-)
  • Options
    In addition to the BLW cookbook, my two favorites were Bringing up BeBe (more on French parenting written by an American living in Paris) and Real Food for Mother and Baby.

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    bunannie said:

I have no idea what my mom fed us as babies, but I feel like there must be something to getting the babes used to regular food flavors early on. I was super picky, do not wish the sadness of a picky eater on my kids. 

I was doing purees, yogurt and some tastes of adult foods the past few months but the good purees are so expensive and I want him to start getting into the whole "meal" thing instead of different flavored smoothies on a spoon, sooo here we go! had some chicken for dinner :D 
    How did he do with the chicken?

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    We're not doing BLWing but lots of self-feeding. We did tofu in a Malaysian curry last night. DD is still not sure about food in bigger chunks, so I crumbled it and let her feed herself with a spoon. She loved it!
  • Options
    Scotty138 said:
    We BLW but lately DS has been throwing his food instead of eating it. He used to eat like a champ and now he isn't really getting anything. I thought maybe he just liked watching the dogs eat his food so we kennel them now when DS eats, but no change. Any advice?
    I could have written this @Scotty138. Up until last week, DD was awesome. Now, she just smashes her broccoli into a billion pieces, throws carrots at the dog, and finger paints with oatmeal. The only thing she will eat at all times is blueberries and puffs. Grrrr.

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    Scantron3000Scantron3000 member
    edited January 2015
    Our daughter eats 3 meals a day, but also drinks the same amount of breastmilk as before we started solids. For breakfast she'll have maybe two silver dollar pancakes, or a third of a slice of French toast, we've also done scrambled eggs which she inhales. I wouldn't be surprised if she could put away half a dozen eggs at one sitting. For lunch she'll have something more like a snack. 2oz of a fruit or vegetable purée and banana mum mums. She eats with us for dinner, and I make her a 2-4oz serving of whatever we're eating. She eats anything! I got so lucky with this one. She started out refusing to open her mouth, but now she's eating tilapia, butternut squash with nutmeg and sage, sautéed mushrooms, and last night an entire 2" diameter matzo ball! The only thing she didn't like so far was pasta with pesto. Probably too "herbal" tasting for her. She still ate it, but she made a face with every bite.
  • Options

Scotty138 said:

We BLW but lately DS has been throwing his food instead of eating it. He used to eat like a champ and now he isn't really getting anything. I thought maybe he just liked watching the dogs eat his food so we kennel them now when DS eats, but no change. Any advice?

I could have written this @Scotty138. Up until last week, DD was awesome. Now, she just smashes her broccoli into a billion pieces, throws carrots at the dog, and finger paints with oatmeal. The only thing she will eat at all times is blueberries and puffs. Grrrr.

We're just coming off a few weeks stretch of food-refusing. She's eating everything again as of yesterday. But during that time, pretty much the only things she would eat were blueberries and mum mums. Why, DD, do you have to love the best-staining food?
  • Options
    DS's solid foods consistent of cheese, pizza crust, mum mums and a spoonful here and there of a puree when we force it. I fear we have a picky eater...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Katzalia said:

Scotty138 said:

We're just coming off a few weeks stretch of food-refusing. She's eating everything again as of yesterday. But during that time, pretty much the only things she would eat were blueberries and mum mums. Why, DD, do you have to love the best-staining food?

This is us right now! Blueberries or mum mums and puffs. She smacks everything else away.

• Options
    Oh, and also because of the only eating blueberries thing - her poop is like grayish blue and resembles a black bear cub's poo. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    DS mainly chews on the pizza crust. He only swallows some crumbs once it turns to mush. He choked once on it but that doesn't discourage him. It's the one food he actively reaches for when we're eating.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    DD1 is going through a new phase. I give her her plate and she immediately screams "I want more" before even touching it. Then I tell her she needs to eat what's in her plate first, then she can have more. And she screams "no" pushes the plate away and throws a fit screaming "I want more". Joys of raising a 2yo!
  • Options
    Jakob has 2 new things he loves. Sunbutter on rice cakes and he likes salsa on eggs.
    Sunbutter! DD loves it too. And anything curry. 
  • Options
    Katzalia said:
    Jakob has 2 new things he loves. Sunbutter on rice cakes and he likes salsa on eggs.
    Sunbutter! DD loves it too. And anything curry. 

DS also loves anything with curry. Yesterday he had Japanese curry for lunch
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    @spinsoffresonance‌ DD (3) is a bear with food. She will love something one day and hate It the next. Feeding my May baby is a breeze compared to her!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ok--so a yogurt question. DH went grocery shopping and I put plain whole milk yogurt on the list. He couldn't find whole milk yogurt so he got low fat. Everything I found online says to give full fat dairy before age 2 because babies need the fats for brain development. But, since DS is still getting his nutrition from BM, is it ok for me to give him low fat yogurt? DS only eats maybe 1 oz of food 2x a day so it really wouldn't be what he gets nutrients from.

I don't see anything wrong with it. We haven't even started dairy here yet. It's more important once they're weaned off breastmilk/formula you want to make sure to give WCM and WCM yogurt. But switching to low fat for a week Isn't going to hurt anything.
  • Options
    becole42 said:

@Babybarlow2014‌ click on community, scroll down to "inbox"

Also if the community button at the button of the app doesn't work, scroll all the way at the top of this thread and click on the link to community above the food for babies thread title. Then scroll down to inbox.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"