May 2014 Moms
Options

The Food (for babies) Thread

Re: The Food (for babies) Thread

• Options
    I gave LO scrambled eggs three times, and the third time he vomited off and on over a period of two hours. That's the only time he's shown any reaction to a food, so needless to say we'll wait another month or two before trying again. His tummy isn't ready!
  • Options
    Mom fail - I make her baby carrots all the time - why can't she have them?

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Mom fail - I make her baby carrots all the time - why can't she have them?

There is nitrates in the carrots that come out when boiling for example. If you use fresh water to puree then it's fine. Just don't reuse the water. I mashed instead of pureed and now I steam.

It's honestly very very minimal. I think beets and spinach are on the list too.
  • Options
    I steam the carrots and give them to her whole - BLW. That's fine, right?

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    Ok so question cuz I'm a little freaked out. So DS has only been taking in about 21-24 oz of formula since we started solids. He would usually take about 28-30 on a good day. Is this normal to drop a bottle at this age?
  • Options

I steam the carrots and give them to her whole - BLW. That's fine, right?

Yep :)
  • Options

THD7580 said:

Ok so question cuz I'm a little freaked out. So DS has only been taking in about 21-24 oz of formula since we started solids. He would usually take about 28-30 on a good day. Is this normal to drop a bottle at this age?

Normal. DS used to take about 36 oz in a 24 hr. period. Now he's doing 24 oz. The pedi is fine with it as long as we stay around 24 oz, since most of his nutrition should still be coming from formula or BM.
    Good to know! Thanks girly!
  • Options
    Anyone doing BLW done blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.? 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options

I'd assume berries are similar to grapes in the whole cut them in half rule. Probably also need to wait until the pincer grip is there. Otherwise you could smoosh them down and put on toast.
  • Options
    Normal. DS used to take about 36 oz in a 24 hr. period. Now he's doing 24 oz. The pedi is fine with it as long as we stay around 24 oz, since most of his nutrition should still be coming from formula or BM.
    Oops.  Should have read this before creating a new post.  My production seems to be down and I was wondering if it was due to solids.  I guess my body is regulating itself to his decreased demand?
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    DD picks up the puffs and black beans so I think she'd probably be able to pick up a blackberry, strawberry - I was just trying to figure out to cut them. 

She swallows clementine pieces whole at this point - yeah....that's my DD. No chewing necessary. She used to nurse the juice out of the clementine - she's over that. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options

I mash them with yogurt
  • Options
    @Emmagk‌ I know the baby food companies are able to test for nitrates. So I guess they are able to get the lowest amount possible.
  • Options
    Non BLW mom's with LO's with no teeth yet - are you giving only purees?

DS loves to eat and I can hardly keep up with him.

Can I start trying to giving him the puffs of mum mums or should I wait until he has teeth?

He has one tooth coming in but very slowly and it's not one of the bottom front... it's one just to the left of those... my little weirdo :)
    They don't have to have teeth to have food other than purees.  DD didn't get teeth until 14.5 months and had plenty of non-pureed food before then.  (We haven't given DS anything but purees yet, but that's only because I'm lazy!)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They definitely don't have to have teeth to eat things other than purees. The front teeth are for biting but not really for chewing.

DD is still a toothless wonder but has had mum mums, toast, rice, pasta (spirals are easy to grip), tofu, slices of avocado, banana, bell pepper, chicken, and a lots of other things from our meals, finely diced. It's supposed to be a good idea to introduce textures sooner rather than later (I think before 9 months).
  • Options
    becole42 said:

Gums are hard. Ask my nipples.

This. Ouch.
  • Options

Good to know... I'm just super paranoid that he'll choke.

So, here's another question... what do you all recommend starting him on as far as textured foods?  Right now it's been only purees.  DH tried giving him a tiny piece of bread and DS had trouble with it and ended up gagging/throwing it up.
    Just mash instead of puree.

I hear you on the choking. That was me a couple weeks ago. But I took a breath and watched and trusted my child. He demolished half a banana tonight within minutes but choked on his water. Go figure.

No 4 day rule here. More because it was boring. Reactions happen within an hour or two, 8 at most.
  • Options
    Yeah we tried a few bites of a french fry today at lunch and nope DS choked and gagged like 4 times. Sometimes he will do ok and others not so much. I guess we need to work on texture more than purées at this point.
  • Options
    DS has Thai fish cakes for lunch today and the last 2 nights has had lamb tikka masala for dinner. Lentil dahl has also been a favorite so far, this kid has exotic taste
  • Options
    kittyriot said:

@Emmagk you're making me want Indian! Lentil Dahl.....mmmmm!

It was super easy to make at home. I followed this recipe
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/lentils-and-basic-tarka-dhal-recipe/
  • Options
    KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited December 2014
    Emmagk said:

kittyriot said:

@Emmagk you're making me want Indian! Lentil Dahl.....mmmmm!

It was super easy to make at home. I followed this recipe
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/lentils-and-basic-tarka-dhal-recipe/
    That sounds delicious! Will have to try that out. LO loves lentils and spices.

Eta posted too soon.
  • Options
    We tried mum mums today. DS liked chewing on them but didn't really get he was supposed to swallow it so he ended up spitting some out and choking a bit on the rest.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My step mom gave DS passion fruit sorbet to see what he'd do and he liked it. The kid that hates all solids we tried will eat sorbet! Why am I not surprised?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS also likes pizza crust! I was eating pizza while playing with him and he tried to grab it so I gave him a piece of crust. He gummed it more than ate it but when I tried to take it away he got upset! Maybe we should just skip purees and go right to finger foods? He seems to like those better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Question for the BLWers...have you done meatballs? How big are you making them? Do you cut or give whole?
    I want to make turkey and peach balls.

I make them into patties so DS can hold them better
  • Options
    Question for the BLWers...have you done meatballs? How big are you making them? Do you cut or give whole? I want to make turkey and peach balls.
    Yes - I made turkey meatballs with chopped mushroom in it - they were probably 2 inches in diameter and I cut it in half. She loved it! I also gave her the spiral noodles with tomato sauce - huge, albeit messy hit! 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    Side note on the Blueberry Banana Buckle---results in scary black colored BM's. 

• Options
    I'm fascinated by the way blueberries come out the other end. All the little bits of blueberry skin sticking to her bum....fun fun fun!
  • Options
    KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited December 2014
    Also -- DD has had raspberries twice, once fresh (loved them) and once frozen, heated and mashed (didn't really like). Anyone else experienced something like this?
  • Options

@Katzalia‌ were trying raspberries this week.
    My 4 year old only liked fresh.

Hmm, that's kind of what I was suspecting. Too bad my MIL just bought a costco sized bag of frozen berries for while we're visiting.
  • Options
    I wish I could post a video - I did on Instagram of E eating raspberries for the first time. Apparently she thought they were tart. She LOVES blackberries though and the poop actually smells like blackberries too - wtf? 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options
    I wish I could post a video - I did on Instagram of E eating raspberries for the first time. Apparently she thought they were tart. She LOVES blackberries though and the poop actually smells like blackberries too - wtf? 
    Did you just cut the raspberries in half or give them whole? 
  • Options
    Emmagk said:
    I cut the raspberries and blackberries in half. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Options

Emmagk said:

I cut the raspberries and blackberries in half. 

Thanks. I was giving DS dinner and happened to have some in the fridge. I finally found something he doesn't like!
  • Options
    Katzalia said:

Also -- DD has had raspberries twice, once fresh (loved them) and once frozen, heated and mashed (didn't really like). Anyone else experienced something like this?

My LO is like this too. She likes some things warm and not cold. Squash for example. If I hear it a little she will eat the whole serving but if it's just room temp she's not a huge fan. Weird!

• Options
    comicsans said:

Hmm I need to get some berries. The poop around here just stinks. Solids poo is no joke.

Also the gas! Oh my last night she stunk so bad. I don't think she's ever really smelled before when passing gas but recently wow! We've been adding more solids so that's probably why. She at least didn't seem too bothered by it.

• Options
    D'S gagged so bad today he threw up. In front of the grandparents. Guess I'll mash it for the next while. It was carrot.
  • Options
    KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited December 2014
    The ILs (whom I adore) are fascinated with watching DD eat, especially her self-feeding. Charming. What's not charming? The running commentary/sideline coaching that's like over-involved parents at a kids soccer game.

Somehow I don't think the part about solid food (eta: at this age) being for exposure, exploration, and socialization at family mealtimes has really gotten through.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"