Baby Names
Options

Bump names you hate?

What are some well liked names on thebump name forum that you just can't get on board with. I'm sure I have a few more but a few that come to mind now:

Declan
Amelia
Bianca
Persephone
Cora

Re: Bump names you hate?

• Options
    Declan

Hazel
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Natalie is just not my cup of tea.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It's been a lot longer than I thought, but I found the thread. It might be useful to you, OP. :)
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12373603/names-you-hate-that-everyone-else-loves/p1
  • Options
    Declan
  • Options
    Linus
    Isla
    George
    Henry
    Evangeline
    Coraline (is this even a real name?)
    Oliver
    Holden
    Fiona
    Aurora
    Lily

Love: 5/2004
    Marriage: 4/2008
    Baby Carriage #1: 5/2012
    Baby Carriage #2: 1/2016

• Options
    Evelyn
    Alice
    Daphne
    Isla
  • Options
    allthecheeseallthecheese member
    edited August 2014

Also names from other cultures with a million vowels that almost no one outside of that culture (let alone across the ocean) will have any clue how to pronounce. Just, why?

This! =) I'm new here but I've read the why showing matters post and agree so dint need to mention those type of names, but I keep wondering why bromios is so high and mighty about no names that aren't original and are hard to spell and yet the lists she/he posts lists of names that I could never fathom the pronunciation of!

Also "old lady names" are soooo popular and I just don't understand :) they're too common for me :)

ETA - I was going to mention Charlotte in particular because yesterday it seemed like so many people either had Charlotte in their options or lots of people were suggesting it to them. And I just can't see the attraction. Also Eleanor, Evelyn, Caroline... But everyone is dif and that's great! I wouldn't want everyone to start using the names I want to use! :-)

And Scarlett? Is it connected to someone great? Cause all up can think is gypsy/palm reader! :0
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Madison and Taylor... it's not that I hate them, they just need to be retired....
    October TTGP Challenge- Villains
    Samara- The Ring
    *I may not be able to keep this all month
     the ring animated GIF
  • Options
    Willow. Don't understand the appeal at all. Yuck all around.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    IrishTravelerIrishTraveler member
    edited August 2014
    August/Augusta
    Wyatt
    Bianca
    Penelope
    Daphne
    Walter
    Ruby
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't get the appeal of Eleanore, Caroline, Charlotte. They are nice names for sure, just not my cup of tea.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    Mason

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Options
    DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    edited August 2014
    j&jNY said:

Also names from other cultures with a million vowels that almost no one outside of that culture (let alone across the ocean) will have any clue how to pronounce. Just, why?
    This! =) I'm new here but I've read the why showing matters post and agree so dint need to mention those type of names, but I keep wondering why bromios is so high and mighty about no names that aren't original and are hard to spell and yet the lists she/he posts lists of names that I could never fathom the pronunciation of! Also "old lady names" are soooo popular and I just don't understand :) they're too common for me :) ETA - I was going to mention Charlotte in particular because yesterday it seemed like so many people either had Charlotte in their options or lots of people were suggesting it to them. And I just can't see the attraction. Also Eleanor, Evelyn, Caroline... But everyone is dif and that's great! I wouldn't want everyone to start using the names I want to use! :-) And Scarlett? Is it connected to someone great? Cause all up can think is gypsy/palm reader! :0 

ETA: I'm trying to quote the above, it's not in a box for some reason   

The names that bromios posts are not made up (I'm guessing that's what you mean by original) they're just from other cultures/mythology.  One thing I love about this board is the variety of names that different people like, I'm not familiar at all with Irish names and their pronunciation for example but it's really interesting to see how they are pronounced and why they mean so much to people.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    August
    Winter
    Bianca
    Declan
    Aurora
    Archer
    Victoria
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Declan, by far my least favorite.
  • Options
    The only names I hate are made up, youneek, misspelled, or boy names on girls. There are a few real names that just don't appeal to me, though I would still suggest them to another poster if they fit that person's style. Jocelyn Matilda Cora Natalie Agnes Millicent Blake Lucas Wyatt
    100% agree :)
    Definitely!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't get Declan - for some reason it reminds me of an eclair (like, the cream puff thing). I don't know why, but that's what I get. 

I also don't get Isla - it's just... blah. 
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    DaisyZH said:

j&jNY said:

This! =) I'm new here but I've read the why showing matters post and agree so dint need to mention those type of names, but I keep wondering why bromios is so high and mighty about no names that aren't original and are hard to spell and yet the lists she/he posts lists of names that I could never fathom the pronunciation of!

Also "old lady names" are soooo popular and I just don't understand :) they're too common for me :)

ETA - I was going to mention Charlotte in particular because yesterday it seemed like so many people either had Charlotte in their options or lots of people were suggesting it to them. And I just can't see the attraction. Also Eleanor, Evelyn, Caroline... But everyone is dif and that's great! I wouldn't want everyone to start using the names I want to use! :-)

And Scarlett? Is it connected to someone great? Cause all up can think is gypsy/palm reader! :0 

ETA: I'm trying to quote the above, it's not in a box for some reason   

The names that bromios posts are not made up (I'm guessing that's what you mean by original) they're just from other cultures/mythology.  One thing I love about this board is the variety of names that different people like, I'm not familiar at all with Irish names and their pronunciation for example but it's really interesting to see how they are pronounced and why they mean so much to people.

No I meant original spelling I think. Or else or was a typo. I know the names are real I just can't imagine them on American people :-) and I actually wish I could pronounce them and find all the "ethnic"? Names and meanings interesting :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    j&jNY said:
    Also "old lady names" are soooo and I just don't understand :) they're too for me :)  
    FTFY
    My aversion has to do with that I have about 50 great aunts and all those names are just blah great aunt to me. Not that my great aunts are blah lol

ETA actually in thinking a little more it has a lot to do with that i grew up in and live in a rather unique culture that never stopped using some of these names. I work with Violet, Julia, Verna, Lucy, Eileene, Rozelle, Louella, Mary, Mary, Martha, Christina, and their boyfriends have names like Chester, Stanley, Idk... it's just so many common names are used and reused and recycled and juniored etc. 
  • Options
    Beevol said:
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't get Declan - for some reason it reminds me of an eclair (like, the cream puff thing). I don't know why, but that's what I get. 

I also don't get Isla - it's just... blah. 
    I think of of a clan breaking up, like instead of de-cluttering they are de-clanning LOL. I know it makes no sense but the first time I saw that I am like what the eff....
  • Options

Isla

Harper

Piper

Scarlett

August

Declan

TB is dead.

|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url]
    || <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Cha
  • Options
    mjreilly2 said:

the mass posting of blinking smiley faces

SORRY! Who knew smile faces would be offensive?! Honestly not sure what's up with them. I just typed in a smile and then I hit post reply. And when I see my post I'm like where did those come from. Is it cause I'm on mobile and it changes it?
  • Options
    Gideon
    Maeve
    Laurel
    Isaac
    BabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Hate is a bit strong, but I do not like, would never use, and cannot fathom why anyone in their right minds would ever use names like:

Isla
    Hazel
    Finley/Finaly (on either a boy or a girl)
    Persephone

And I don't understand the love for Gaelic spellings.  I know Gaelic uses variations on the Roman alphabet, but letters do not necessarily make the sounds most English speakers know.  Unless you are a speaker of Gaelic, or any other language that does not use the Roman alphabet, familiar sounds, I say go with the Anglicized spelling of any name.
    Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    They are more just names that get mad props here that are NMS. I get it if other people like them though

Josephine
    Greta/Margaret
    Poppy
    Piper
    Louis

Names I hate are made up or misspelled names.
  • Options

In the minority on this one... and looking at my list of names I love... it definitily leans more towards the trendy side (Sawyer, Carter, Evelyn, Avery) but I have a few classics as well (Benjamin, Samuel, Caroline) but I just cringe when someone says theyre using anything along the lines of Elizabeth, Ruth, Ann, Agnes, Megan, etc... ahhh why?? Aren't there enough Beths and Megans out there??? there are sooooooooo many gloriously beautiful names and these are just so meh!

Samara- The Ring
     the ring animated GIF
  • Options
    • Freya
    • Cora
    • Stella
    • Belle/a
    • Sawyer
    • Carter
    • Finn
    • obscure Gaelic names
    • Poppy as a full name
    • Harper
    • Piper
    • Aubrey
    IVF #1 - DD born 2011 FET #1-3 all BFN IVF#2- BFP! EDD Nov. 3, 2014 1st US - March 28
  • Options
    I don't actually hate them, and would suggest them to others if they fit, but nms:

Maeve
    Beatrice
    Isla
    Josephine

And for some reason almost all V names like Victoria, Veronica, etc. I honestly don't know why I just really don't like them.

Also, Desmond. But I can't say that out loud because my best friend is name her son that.

(Meanwhile, despite my attempts to change it, were naming DD a name that every one of you would crucify me for... *buries face in shame*)

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    kdr1710 said:

In the minority on this one... and looking at my list of names I love... it definitily leans more towards the trendy side (Sawyer, Carter, Evelyn, Avery) but I have a few classics as well (Benjamin, Samuel, Caroline) but I just cringe when someone says theyre using anything along the lines of Elizabeth, Ruth, Ann, Agnes, Megan, etc... ahhh why?? Aren't there enough Beths and Megans Sawyers and Averys out there??? there are sooooooooo many gloriously beautiful names and these are just so meh!

See I have the exact same reaction - but about names like those
    Ditto. haha. I have never seen the appeal of Avery, especially for a girl.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    bromios said:

I don't actually hate them, and would suggest them to others if they fit, but nms:

Maeve
    Beatrice
    Isla
    Josephine

And for some reason almost all V names like Victoria, Veronica, etc. I honestly don't know why I just really don't like them.

Also, Desmond. But I can't say that out loud because my best friend is name her son that.

(Meanwhile, despite my attempts to change it, were naming DD a name that every one of you would crucify me for... *buries face in shame*)

Are you burying your face in shame because you think we won't like it or because you dislike the name and aren't proud to use it? If it is the former, it's your kid, we'll get over it. If it's the latter, then ffs just don't use it! Never use a name you don't really like, even if it's the name of your SO's recently deceased grandma who raised him and saved his life in combat after eliminating hunger in a small third world country!

Oh I like the name. I used to love it more, and thus have considered other options since, but H is so in love with it now that I can't bring myself to change it. But I know how TB feels about it, and it's not good hahah.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options

Sloan/Sloane. I seriously loathe it. It doesn't sound remotely feminine to me.

I hate it as a name too but have to admit that what makes it badass is that it's Ferris Bueller's girlfriend's name.

This signature is all for YOU. I'm on mobile and can't see crap.
    MMC EDD: 1/5/2015  D&C: 5/31/14
    MC    EDD: 4/21/15 Lost: 8/24/14
    BFP for my Rainbow!! 11/6/14
    EDD: 7/20/15

• Options

There's never enough Avery's!

Samara- The Ring
     the ring animated GIF
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board