December 2014 Moms
Options

Boyfriend living in a separate house when baby comes??

This is a weird scenario, but here it is in a nutshell:

-Baby daddy has broken up with me six times since I got pregnant. 
-We are now engaged and sorting through a prenup and having difficulty coming to an agreement. 
-He was supposed to have the prenup to me on Thursday, when I had an appointment with my lawyer schedule but I didnt get it until Friday and now I have to wait until next Friday to meet with my lawyer (no appointments available sooner).

Our wedding is September 19th and he is supposed to be moving in with me this coming Friday, the day I have the appointment scheduled with my lawyer.  He is now saying he doesn't want to move in until I can give him a guarantee that I am going to agree to the prenup and say that we will be able to stay together.  I cannot provide him with any guarantees because I havent even talked with a lawyer yet. 

So he wants to go sign a one year lease some place so that he is not inconvenienced if he moves in with me and then has to move out again shortly after if we do not come to an agreement about the prenup (his house is already rented out and he is obligated to move).  

Here is where I need some feedback.  In my mind, if he runs out and signs a one year lease, the relationship is over in my mind.  If he isnt here helping with the baby in the middle of the night and he is off living some place else, I don't see that as a relationship.  

He keeps asking me to give him some reassurance/guarantee that I'm going to agree to the prenup or else he might go sign a one year lease somewhere, precluding him from moving in with me for at least one year.     I don't want to lie to him and offer him assurance that wouldnt' be genuine.  I am trying to be honest and say that I really need to think it through and talk with a lawyer first, which I would have done had his lawyer had the prenup to me in time for my scheduled appointment with the lawyer. 

So, am I crazy to think that it would be totally ridiculous to still be in a relationship with him while we have a baby but live in separate houses? What would you do??  Would you keep dating him if he rented an apartment/house for one year while you had a baby?  Would you marry him if he lived in another house?   

OH, and moving in with him is not an option. 

Re: Boyfriend living in a separate house when baby comes??

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with others this seems like more of a controlling business deal

Is he worth millions? Why do you need a prenup in the 1st place?

What's in the prenup that he can't wait another 5 days to sign a lease? Seems extremely shady to me.
  • Options
    Not saying this is your scenario, but this is my current family drama. My cousin's husband left her a year ago admitted there was another woman, they went to counseling and got back together for 9 months. He dropped the bomb shell last week, yet again he is leaving her for yet again another woman but this time her best friend. He served her with divorce papers a few days later. I got her in with a lawyer but the appointment is a few weeks off. He is pressuring her to sign, but in the papers custody is 50/50. She doesn't want that, but she has been trying to please him for 11 years. He is trying to get out of paying child support and spousal support with a "no fault divorce". A lot of loopholes and benefits in those papers for him that leave her with nothing. Their boys are 6 & 3. The whole thing is devastating to the 6 year old on top of seeing his mother a wreck. He actually told me, His heart hurts because his mommy is so upset and Daddy hurt her heart. Unfortunately she would want to make things easier on her boys and would stay married to him for them. It isn't healthy for her or the boys for the constant abandonment and conflict. She isn't signing anything without speaking to her lawyer and he is pissed. Let him be pissed because her and her children need to come first over his selfish needs and wants.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    This whole scenario is very confusing. Sounds like it would be a better situation for your child not be involved with...
  • Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. Please don't be afraid of being a single mom. It is hard, yes, but it is much more difficult having a horrible relationship that adds to your stress. You need to be able to focus on your baby, not worry about if your husband is going to leave you again. Also, why does he need a second house? The only reason I can think of is that he wants a place that he can go to when he wants to pretend to be single, ie, take other women to. Don't be fooled by him.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You don't have to get married. Breaking up six times in less than a year... I would not be getting married prenup or not! Raise the baby as boyfriend and girlfriend and see how it goes. You will enjoy your wedding much more of you are head over heals in love and know that he is your forever.
  • Options
    I would work on your relationship before getting married. You should not be forced to live together if you can't depend on him. I would tell him go ahead sign the lease and we can live separately. Once he has proven he wants to be in his child's life you can work on living together. Marriage will come when you are both ready for it. Things change when you sign that marriage certificate and it is much more difficult to get out of the situation. You don't have to marry someone or live with him to have a child. Do what is best for your sanity and the child's upbringing. Good luck on your decision.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Things change when you sign that certificate, but the relationship won't.

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    I have nothing new to add, just want to urge you to follow the advice of pp- don't rush into anything with this guy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    From my perspective.... When my husband proposed and I accepted we had a two year engagement. I told him that if he ever had any doubts or fears to let me know in that period because once we were married I planned to stay that way. Now I get that you can't predict the future and there is no way to guarantee that we will always be happy. But I would never go into a marriage with half of my brain thinking this relationship was already over. You said yourself that if he moves into the house you consider the relationship over, you don't consider it secure. Marriage isn't going to help these things. Please reconsider your wedding next month. Concentrate on your pregnancy and baby. See what he is like when you have even more responsibilities together as parents. If everything works out somehow, that's great! But if it doesn't then you won't have tied yourself to this guy. Good luck!!
  • Options
    I'm sorry that you are dealing with this and I'm sure it is all incredibly stressful and probably very scary.

I have to agree with the rest. I think the relationship and marriage are a bad idea that will cause you more heart ache in future.

I think this relationship will give your child a poor model on what love should look like.

I'm not sure what your reasons are for wanting to stay, but I'm willing to bet that if you stepped away, worked through the pain of the break up and let the smoke clear you would be far happier in the long term. Unfortunately I know this is very hard to see from where you are standing.

As someone else said, don't be afraid to tackle this new journey as a single parent. I was on my own with my son, and it was tough but amazing and I would do it again.

Good luck!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Keep telling yourself this phrase, " Actions speak louder than words."  Begging and pleading are relatively easy.  They are just words after all.  Real action is much more difficult.  

It seems you BF has figured out that you will believe whatever he says.  But again actions speak louder than words.  

By the way he is acting with this prenup ordeal, it is obvious he hasn't changed or made any progress.  If he was, then he would have respected your right to talk to your lawyer first.  Hell, he would have made sure that prenup was at your lawyer's office in time for the meeting.  But he didn't, again, because counseling and therapy has done nothing at all for him.  Nothing.  

Tell him you won't sign the prenup until you talk to the lawyer and that you respect his decision to find another place.  I guarantee he will tell you he wants to break up AGAIN because his idle threat didn't work on you.

• Options
    You're not an idiot and you're not pathetic- you're in a shitty spot with a dude who is manipulating the ever lovin shit out of you. Don't let him continue to do that. At this point there is more riding on it than just your feelings- what if you have this baby and dude keeps coming in and out of it's life like he is doing with yours? He's a pathetic asshole and you and your baby deserve better than that. I understand your wanting to think that people change and can be better, but in this case- I'd need to see A LOT of these changes in action over a long period of time in order to believe them. Talk is cheap, and even his talk isn't that great what with the rushing you to sign a prenup and threatening that he will sign a lease without you. Good luck OP- I know it's hard, but stand up for yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @RaeChay ,My therapist doesn't say much about his behavior , but focuses mainly on how I am coping and responding to it.  She does think he is very unhealthy and manipulative, but she hasn't told me to leave him.    She doesn't work that way. Instead she guides me to come to my own conclusions.    She knows that I love him. She did say that she thinks he may need about five years of therapy to get to a point where he can get through life without running every time he doesn't get his way, but she has never met him and is only going off of what I've told her about the relationship.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"