July 2014 Moms
Options

The Great Formula Feeding Thread

Re: The Great Formula Feeding Thread

• Options
    I exclusively FF DD1, and we're doing the same with DD2. She's taking 2 oz of Similac sensitive every 3-4 hours. This amount/time period is what was recommended by the hospital pediatrician, and she's been doing great!! She only lost 2 ounces before we were discharged yesterday. Her first appointment with her pedi is on Monday...so I'm curious to see what he recommends :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I went out and got the baby brezza formula pro today. I've only used it twice but it is awesome!! It's like a keurig for formula. I can finally make a bottle while holding my LO without making a mess.
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ^^ I've been eyeing the Brezza formula pro for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Looks awesome!

• Options
    emy730emy730 member
    Tell me more about this Brezza thing. Sounds awesome!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @emy730‌ it's pretty much a keurig for formula! You have the water and formula housed separately and then when you need to make formula you just press a few buttons! The machine automatically makes the temperature 98 degrees ( supposedly the ideal temperature to feed baby formula) and you can choose to make 2,4,6,8, or 10 ounce bottles. Pretty neat. It's like $150 bucks though :(

imageimage

• Options
    CsltdkCsltdk member
    This baby brezza sounds amazing. I won't shell out the money to buy it but it does look enticing.
  • Options
    Csltdk said:

This baby brezza sounds amazing. I won't shell out the money to buy it but it does look enticing.

I agree. Also, I feed him room temperature formula and he doesn't seem to mind it... But that's because I make the bottle as needed. I don't prepare a large batch ahead of time. Am I crazy for this? Lol

imageimage

• Options
    Thanks guys- I hope I can come to terms with it. After counseling. Lots and lots of counseling.

That baby Keurig is totally awesome looking! I'm gonna cry until my mommy gets it for me!! :p I wish that would work...
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Just curious - how many bottles do you all keep in the house? We are EP, so using bottles and feeling like I'm constantly doing dishes (no dish washer). How many makes you feel satisfied?
  • Options
    We have at least a dozen bottles. We wash every day, but it feels like a good number to rotate through.
    (A benefit of STM, already have the supplies)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    hgtvmomhgtvmom member
    edited July 2014
    ksspiff said:

We have at least a dozen bottles. We wash every day, but it feels like a good number to rotate through.
    (A benefit of STM, already have the supplies)

Good to know - I have that many, plus more, as I had to go through multiple brands/styles before finding one that she will take and that doesn't make her super gassy. Thank goodness for Nuks! For the first 4 weeks, she would only take the little madela bottles that you pump in to. Now that I have a bottle she is successful with, I feel like I can build a stash.

ETA: finish my thought. Baby brain
  • Options
    We have 14 4-oz bottles. Forget how many 8-oz but probably not quite as many.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pup4gdb said:
    Just curious - how many bottles do you all keep in the house? We are EP, so using bottles and feeling like I'm constantly doing dishes (no dish washer). How many makes you feel satisfied?
    I EP, and have 6 bottles. I'm on the hunt for more though. Just not sure which ones to get. It's amazing how much bottles have changed in the past 3 years and I now regret throwing away my old ones. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    Pup4gdb said:

I just bought more 4oz bottles because the 10 I had were not enough for the twins. We now have 22 and I haven't learned to keep up with washing them!!!! Love the Dr Brown bottles but the 6 piece system is killing me right now lol!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker} image
  • Options
    CsltdkCsltdk member
    We have 6 4oz bottles. In a week she will move to the 1 month bottles which are 8 oz and a slow flow nipple instead of newborn. I will probably still use the newborn nipples at night as she is a chomper and gulps her bottles down.
  • Options

I wish we could use the Brezza but we have to use Enfamil Enfaport for Alex, which is already mixed to be 30 kcal and we have to water it down to 20 kcal. Two cans gets us the 8 feedings of the day at the moment, but that'll change soon probably. 

We've been using the Dr. Browns bottles, and they do a good job of keeping the bubbles away when he's eating. I don't know if it's something he does when he eats but sometimes there seems to be formula that gets into the vent system. Is that normal? 
    @milestrellas‌ The formula isn't getting into our vent system. Are you mixing the formula in the bottles? We don't do that. I actually make 20oz of formula at a time in a container and pour as needed. We run hot water in our kurig and float the bottle in the hot water.

Formula is a bitch to mix. You really gotta shake it. We are using Gerber and it's not as bad as I remember Enfamil to be!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    We have the Brezza as well and love it. Middle of the night feedings don't seem as rough, it literally takes 7 seconds or so. DH bought it on a whim one day and I thought it was ridiculous but now I'm a believer!
  • Options
    BBColt78 said:
    I wish we could use the Brezza but we have to use Enfamil Enfaport for Alex, which is already mixed to be 30 kcal and we have to water it down to 20 kcal. Two cans gets us the 8 feedings of the day at the moment, but that'll change soon probably. 

We've been using the Dr. Browns bottles, and they do a good job of keeping the bubbles away when he's eating. I don't know if it's something he does when he eats but sometimes there seems to be formula that gets into the vent system. Is that normal? 
    @milestrellas‌ The formula isn't getting into our vent system. Are you mixing the formula in the bottles? We don't do that. I actually make 20oz of formula at a time in a container and pour as needed. We run hot water in our kurig and float the bottle in the hot water. Formula is a bitch to mix. You really gotta shake it. We are using Gerber and it's not as bad as I remember Enfamil to be!
    Our formula only comes in liquid form in 8 oz cans, so we make the mix ahead of time and pour it into the bottles. It seems like the formula gets in the vent when he's eating somehow. It's not a lot, and it doesn't happen every time though. 
    Hmmmm. Now I'm going to experiment tomorrow and see what's happening.

My gosh that has to be expensive!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Options
    We use the playtex nurser drop-ins. I have 4 of the bottles. They're amazing. It takes just seconds to clean the nipple, chuck the liner and we're done. Idk why we didn't use them the first time around. LO has really taken to them.

That baby brezza sounds amazing!! A total luxury we'll never budget for...but it sure sounds nice!
  • Options
    tourqeyes said:

I have a crap ton of bottles and I still feel like I am always doing dishes.

Yes! Us too. I'm going to buy three more today and then we will have 6. We only hand wash then so it's an all day gig!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Options
    abundancenowabundancenow member
    edited July 2014
    The hospital had me supplement with formula in addition to bf since DD was 36 weeks. I've enjoyed the break formula bottles have allowed me, and I have not switched to exclusively bf. We are working on finding the right bottles and nipples, but have just used the nipples that come with the 2oz liquid Similar bottles. It says for newborns, but often she's sucking it down fast and she gets wet from leaking around her neck and chest, even with 2 bibs. She has a rash now from the formula around her neck. Does anyone know what I could put on the rash? I'm working to keep her more dry, but this often happens during dh's shifts.
  • Options
    The hospital had my supplement with formula in addition to bf since DD was 36 weeks. I've enjoyed the break formula bottles have allowed me, and I have not switched to exclusively bf. We are working on finding the right bottles and nipples, but have just used the nipples that come with the 2oz liquid Similar bottles. It says for newborns, but often she's sucking it down fast and she gets wet from leaking around her neck and chest, even with 2 bibs. She has a rah now from the formula around her neck. Does anyone know what I could put on the rash? I'm working to keep her more dry, but this often happens during dh's shifts.

Sounds like switching to a slower flowing nipple would help keep her neck dry as it wouldn't leak out while she is trying to eat. Keep the rash clean and dry and try putting some aquaphor on it until it heals to protect it.
  • Options
    CsltdkCsltdk member
    @abundancenow‌ those nipples are crazy fast! They say for newborns but when my LO was on them in the hospital she sucked them down so fast and got so gassy and leaked like you said. I would go buy bottles today so she gets used to a slower flow, she will have to work for it a little harder so it will also tire her out a bit. I'm not sure what to do for the rash just try to keep dry. I use a burp cloth under her chin they catch better than bibs
  • Options
    I need more bottles... We only had three until yesterday, but now we have about 8 or 9... I bought some dr browns and was excited to use them, and my daughter responded well- but she is used to cheap bottles that get air, so she wasn't used to it and whined at first.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Formula neck sucks! Make sure to clean under the neck often. We use a wipe and really get the neck at bath time.

@abundancenow‌ I agree with PP, those nipples are crazy. We too switched to dr. Browns!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

• Options
    FTM here...were having to supplement with formula at night due to gas issues...how much formula are you giving LO in a feeding...2 oz?
    What do you do if LO wants more?
    I'm of course taking burp breaks to stretch it out but advice would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    jennp1979 said:
    FTM here...were having to supplement with formula at night due to gas issues...how much formula are you giving LO in a feeding...2 oz? What do you do if LO wants more? I'm of course taking burp breaks to stretch it out but advice would be greatly appreciated

@jennp1979

You will learn your baby & the cues s/he gives to you. It can be tough at first, but your baby will begin to show you a pattern. For instance my DD will sleep a long stretch (about 4+ hrs) & will drink about 2-3 ounces when she wakes up. She often stays up for an hour or so, drinks another ounce & knocks out for a while.

What is your baby doing that makes you think she or he wants more formula in a feeding? If DD is gnawing at her hand, moving her head around or trying to mouth at my face when I kiss her I take that as cues that she wants more to eat. I try to give her some time so I don't over feed her & make her stomach ache worse.

You're doing good by trying to extend the feeding. That way your baby's belly & brain can catch up with each other & s/he will know they are full. If your baby is only sleeping a couple of hours at a time it is probably eating smaller portions. Like if you slept 10 hours & woke up you might want a much bigger breakfast than only sleeping 6 hours. I hope all this makes sense. I'm exhausted. :)

• Options
    BBColt78 said:
    Formula neck sucks! Make sure to clean under the neck often. We use a wipe and really get the neck at bath time.

*snipped*

DH swears he found a whole family of cats under DS's neck when he was an infant. Lol. DS's neck stayed so gross. We wiped him down 1,000 times a day it seemed like.

• Options
    I always try to put a receiving blanket between the chin and neck to prevent the overflow from seeping into the neck. Works for the most part, but I try to stay vigilant in keeping that area clean and dry.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    These bibs are awesome for keeping milk out of the neck! They have a little absorbant collar that's soaks it up!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00081H75M?pc_redir=1405972555&robot_redir=1
  • Options
    Sweet my friend bought me those bibs and they are sitting unopened. Now if I can find the energy and will to want to put them on before feedings.

• Options
    For those using powder:
    2oz water +scoop = more than 2 oz of mixed formula.
    Do you still count it as 2 oz? 2.2 oz? If you prep before hand and then fill bottles throughout the day, how do you measure?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Just experienced the nastiest lactation consultant at the hospital who basically tried to make me feel like shit for giving formula after the nurse just told me to leave LO on my breast, when she wasn't latched or even help me to get her latched .. And it had been 5 hours since she ate... Grrrr can they not be so judgey or how about wait for me to call you,
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    ksspiff said:
    For those using powder: 2oz water +scoop = more than 2 oz of mixed formula. Do you still count it as 2 oz? 2.2 oz? If you prep before hand and then fill bottles throughout the day, how do you measure?

We don't stress too much over being exact and would count it as a 2 oz bottle; we would also count pouring 2 oz of formula prepped earlier in the day as a 2 oz bottle, knowing full well they are not the same. We aren't at a point where .2 oz is making much difference,
  • Options

Just experienced the nastiest lactation consultant at the hospital who basically tried to make me feel like shit for giving formula after the nurse just told me to leave LO on my breast, when she wasn't latched or even help me to get her latched .. And it had been 5 hours since she ate... Grrrr can they not be so judgey or how about wait for me to call you,

I don't understand how LC's can be such twats to new moms. It just boggles my mind. 

Congrats on having your squish @littlemissmarla‌! And fuck that LC. You make the decisions for your baby.
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • Options
    emy730emy730 member

I don't understand how LC's can be such twats to new moms. It just boggles my mind. 

Yeah I don't get that either. Most of the ones here have children, so they understand how overwhelming and stressful it is. It's like they get off on being huge bitches!

We had one come into our room unannounced and basically shame me for using formula. I cried and felt terribly guilty and DH wanted to wring her neck.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I never had an LC come into my room. I was never even offered one (some hospitals do, because they think you're "afraid" to try BF). If they had, and tried to shame me, I can't imagine it would have gone over well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"