March 2014 Moms
Options

The new newborn questions thread for the end of the monthers - but everyone come share your advice!

Re: The new newborn questions thread for the end of the monthers - but everyone come share your advice!

• Options
    lnvane00 said:
    Jaxon is 5 weeks. And I've noticed that he gets hot and will feel sweat on him when he is covered up and napping. I thought little babys didn't sweat. Anyone know anything about this?

I think he's dressed too warm? But they definitely do sweat when too warm- mine certainly does.
    imageimage
  • Options
    lalaith50 said:

lnvane00 said:

Jaxon is 5 weeks. And I've noticed that he gets hot and will feel sweat on him when he is covered up and napping. I thought little babys didn't sweat. Anyone know anything about this?

I think he's dressed too warm? But they definitely do sweat when too warm- mine certainly does.

Yep, they sweat when overheated just like adults!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ah crap ok. Just have a sleeper on him and a blanket. I'll use a lighter blanket. Thanks!!

Engaged 12-12-10 Married 5-12-12 Baby Jaxon 3-23-14 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

• Options
    My 8 week old is having a hard time napping. Is it bad if I swaddle him for naps? I feel like he's always flailing his arms and wakes himself up. As of right now, we've only been swaddling at night. What's everyone else doing?
  • Options
    @akb1125‌ we swaddle for naps...no reasons not too that I'm aware of

@addisonsmom22‌ one way that I'm aware of is to put olive oil on their hair, let set for 10 mins and then wash out during bathtime.
  • Options
    Anyone know a good way to deal with cradle cap?
    We've just been using a soft brush with shampoo and brushing over it in circular motions. I believe they also still recommend doing the brush in circular motions after putting baby oil on it for awhile but
    I haven't had to do that. And just make sure you don't get the oil in the eyes. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone! Tomorrow I will try swaddling him when I see that he's starting to doze.
  • Options

Anyone know a good way to deal with cradle cap?

My LO had a little bit. I smothered her in olive oil, and anti fungal essential oil, shampoo'd with the soft brush and it think what REALLY kicked it for us was coconut oil. That stuff is magic! I would just dab some into her scalp & brush it through a couple of times a day.

Good luck!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I know it's been asked about LO prefers one side over the other. DS prefers turning and laying his head to the right. I can turn his head to the left, but he fights me. When he tenses, I wait for him to relax and do it again. During tummy time he moves it to both sides. When he's sleeping I'll turn his head to the left a few times and it moves easily. Sometimes I'll put his bottle to the left of his mouth, so he has to turn it to get the bottle. It's just when he's awake and on his back he fights it if I try. Anyone else's fight it?
  • Options
    For cradle cap we've been making good progress with baby oil. I need to remember to pick up coconut oil. At least it smells better.

My question: When LO is drinking (bottle fed with Dr. Browns) he is making a clicking noise. I'm thinking he is just sucking really hard. He doesn't seem frustrated by the flow. But he does take a good 20 ish mins to get through 3-4oz and it isn't uncommon for him to fall asleep halfway through. Should I bump him up a level on the nipples? I'm caucious because we finally got his spitting/choking to a minimum. So if I bump him to a faster flow I feel like we're going to go back to dealing with that again.
    I've heard clicking can be air getting in/latch slipping. 
    Side question, how did you get spitting/choking to a minimum? I'm at the end of my rope and the choking freaks me out!

• Options
    I <3 this thread

• Options
    @addisonsmom22 EBF, I do have a hard time burping her though. Any burps I do get have spit up with them. 

• Options
    lnvane00 said:

Ah crap ok. Just have a sleeper on him and a blanket. I'll use a lighter blanket. Thanks!!

I didn't know babies swear either. I was surprised the first time I realized she was sweating.

imageimage

• Options
    Sanibel21 said:
    @addisonsmom22 EBF, I do have a hard time burping her though. Any burps I do get have spit up with them. 
    hmmm maybe your let down is too much? I've read you can pump a little first or hand express a little before giving her your breast. Addison does the whole choking thing right before she finishes for some reason. I know it's scary... try calling your pedi.

@jt7dreamz... I am going to try that next time! Thanks for the advice! 

If your letdown is really forceful you can also lean back while nursing, gravity helps slow the flow. I do this at the beginning of feeds to help.
  • Options
    So I'm only asking here since it's the middle of the night—once it's morning I'll call my mom/midwife for her opinion.

Yesterday my LO got diagnosed with thrush & we started her & I on meds. Of course I've heard that thrush can cause mastitis, so now I'm paranoid that righty is rock hard and full even though I haven't nursed from it since our last feeding of the night. (We nurse 1 side each feeding.) So I'm wondering if I should pump/express some milk outta here to keep my ducts clear while it's just full and not feeling infected? Or wait it out until my LO's next feeding?—another 3ish hours?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    If you're uncomfortable, I vote for pumping.
  • Options
    Thanks @pepperedmoth‌ and @Jt7dreamz‌ I did end up pumping. Hopefully if it is mastitis I can nip it in the bud before it hurts too bad!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Hypothetical question. This morning lo got up at 520 to eat. Went back down right after feed. I go back to work in 2 weeks. So when that happens and a morning like this morning happens, should I put her back down and just wait until the last possible minute to wake her/change her...to go to daycare? I HATE waking a sleeping baby, just feel like that's how it'll have to be for a while.
  • Options

Hypothetical question. This morning lo got up at 520 to eat. Went back down right after feed. I go back to work in 2 weeks. So when that happens and a morning like this morning happens, should I put her back down and just wait until the last possible minute to wake her/change her...to go to daycare? I HATE waking a sleeping baby, just feel like that's how it'll have to be for a while.

Im a FTM and will be having this issue too. So I don't the RIGHT answer... but I would probably let her go back down. I feel like she might be fussier during the day if she's not getting sleep that she might need? I dunno. It'll probably be trial and error.

• Options

Does anyone else's LO cough/choke right before they are finished eating? I'm BF and giving her BM in a bottle at night.

Mine coughs/chokes often. Usually it's when I sit her up to burp but it can be during a feed or even later on. Pedi said it's actually a good sign because LO is protecting her airway from spit up/reflux? I dunno. I don't like it.

• Options
    @addisonsmom22‌ I'm sorry she's having a rough day. My prescription for you is to take a relaxing bath & pop that baby in there with you! It won't help you get anything done around the house...but hopefully it can help both of you feel better! **internet hugs**
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    MafernjMafernj member
    @addisonsmom22‌ it's probably a growth spur... Is Addison colicky at night? My kid does what Addison does but at night every night plus screaming. During the day she rather be held by me so it's hard to get anything done. Only sometimes she is happy her her swing or pnp during the day . Hope it gets better for you
  • Options
    MafernjMafernj member
    Bath? Massage ? Oils? Question for you , I know you EBF and your LO is just a week older thn mine . Do you wake her up to eat ? How many times. Day you feed her?
  • Options
    How much do you guys obsess about bath water temp? I have a floating thermometer but it's so tricky because when I run the tap the temp fluctuates as it comes out. Ugh.
  • Options
    @Jt7dreamz‌ We didn't stay in very long together. I had made my bath hot & then once she woke up I just got her naked & sat her on my lap. Turns out my tub isn't the right shape for 2. So she wasn't staying as warm as I wanted her to...another reason we didn't stay in long.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    MafernjMafernj member
    edited May 2014
    I obsess about it. I take forever to fill up a little bit of her tub and leave it running and keep adjusting and have the floaty and touch /test it w my forearm and if DH is around ask him to touch it too
  • Options
    @SomersIsles‌ I don't obsess at all. We bathe him in the kitchen sink and don't use a thermometer or anything. I fill it up just mixing the hot and cold in the basin until the water feels warm to the inside of my wrist but not hot. About the temperature I proof yeast in. Haven't burned him yet! ;-)
  • Options
    We were told to test with your elbow - so we use the octopus temp thing & then test with elbow. I haven't bathe with LO yet - I'm nervous to do it before he can sit up on his own?
    I just bathed with LO for the first time this week! It was actually really fun! (He knew exactly when a boobie was anywhere near him! haha..)
    Yes, you can do it before he can sit up, obviously just make sure to be holding him really carefuly all the time.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Aww I love the bathing together idea! I gotta clean my tub and put up new shower curtains this weekend.
    I don't obsess about water temps at all. Although I'm still doing sponge baths because we didn't get a baby tub that props LO up. I didn't realize that until her cord fell off. I mean I feel the water but I don't temp it.
    Question for congested LOs. Are you bulb syringing boogies? LO sounds like she has a flappy trap door booger back there and I'm wondering if it's sitting on her gag reflex because she had three huge puddles of spit, practically vomit, this am. It could also just have been her getting worked up about a wet diaper and/or gas. Or it could just be three huge puddles of spit for no reason.

• Options
    Aww I love the bathing together idea! I gotta clean my tub and put up new shower curtains this weekend. I don't obsess about water temps at all. Although I'm still doing sponge baths because we didn't get a baby tub that props LO up. I didn't realize that until her cord fell off. I mean I feel the water but I don't temp it. Question for congested LOs. Are you bulb syringing boogies? LO sounds like she has a flappy trap door booger back there and I'm wondering if it's sitting on her gag reflex because she had three huge puddles of spit, practically vomit, this am. It could also just have been her getting worked up about a wet diaper and/or gas. Or it could just be three huge puddles of spit for no reason.
    Our bulb syringe produced no results so I bought the nosefrieda earlier this week. Best $15 I've spent in a long time. It works so well and LO can breathe much easier.
    How gross is the Nose Frieda really? I can only get a lot of goods out with the bulb syringe if LO just spit up through her nose... 

• Options
    MK1550MK1550 member
    I really thought the Nose Frieda was going to totally gross me out & make me gag, but it doesn't in the slightest. Every time I've used it the snot has only really gone right into the little tip of the blue tube part- it can't go into the part you're sucking anyway. It has worked really well for us!
  • Options

Addison is still so cranky/fussy. I've had her in the moby wrap for over an hour. She is sleeping but she won't let me put her down. I really need to pump and DH doesn't come home for another hour. I'm also sweating my ass off. Will this end!?!?!? I am PRAYING she doesn't become colicky!!!!! I want to cry!!! 

This is what my evenings have been like for the past three weeks,

Welcome to the madhouse.

• Options
    I

Addison is still so cranky/fussy. I've had her in the moby wrap for over an hour. She is sleeping but she won't let me put her down. I really need to pump and DH doesn't come home for another hour. I'm also sweating my ass off. Will this end!?!?!? I am PRAYING she doesn't become colicky!!!!! I want to cry!!! 

I'm sorry! LO has been pretty fussy today too. Gas is playing a part but I think she's just tired too because everytime I've done the 5 S's she's passed out pretty quickly. But like you, I can't put her down to save my life today! MIL is coming tonight to "drop something off" but I just want to spend time with DH after he's worked all week. But tonight is better than Saturday or Sunday because they can only stay for so long at night. I just don't know what we're going to do about dinner. Ok that turned into a vent, hah!

• Options
    NanaCook said:

My baby needed to nurse as I was getting dressed. ...so I nursed her instead of putting on pants. But now she's asleep on my lap and I don't dare move her for fear of waking the beast. I'm praying my MIL doesn't stop by unexpectedly!

It's amazing the predicaments that breast feeding and/or getting LOs to sleep can get us into. This is a new one to me!!

• Options
    Mamas with video monitors, do you sleep with the sound on or off? I put lo in her crib for the first time tonight for nighttime sleep. Her room is right next to mine. I'm really thinking of sleeping with the sound off, but don't want to sleep too deeply that she's screaming by the time I hear her.
  • Options
    PankersPankers member
    Has anyone's LO cried real tears yet? Eva just had a crying session (she as terrible gas) and I swear there were tears!

• Options
    Pankers said:

Has anyone's LO cried real tears yet? Eva just had a crying session (she as terrible gas) and I swear there were tears!

Oh yeah, definitely and it's the worst. DD is almost seven weeks old and she's been doing this for at least two weeks now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"