June 2013 Moms
Options

UO

2»

Re: UO

• Options
    I feel like some of these American hospitals are vacation homes!!! If I had the same scenario I'd try to go back as often as I could.  Except then I guess I would have to pay for it ... 
    And people wonder why our hospitals are so much $$$. My stay even "included" food for DH and I.
    Oh another biggie for me was that H wasn't allowed to spend the night.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @tttwalters I left 6 hours after having M because my hospital is kinda hurtin (didn't have central air) and I would have had to share a room, I would have been woken up a lot and I wouldn't even try the food.  I think this is a bit of a difference between American hospitals and Canadian.  Perhaps with the odd exception like @Mufflerlove
    No AC!!! that is insane, it was a hot June here. I agree there is a huge difference with hospitals between here and the US. My brother had his appendix taken out in Chicago and  he had a private room with really nice meals! Maybe we should cross the border for our next babies!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I had a private room, the hospital stay would have been fine. However the girl that I roomed with, had a husband that snored loudly, she herself was very whiny and complained all day and night to the nurses and then would complain if my baby started crying. Also the food was BRUTAL! The nurses were great though, and that was the last time I got some sleep. 
    I think it should be against the law to have shared hospital rooms in this day and age. I worked at a hospital that had semi-private. It was awful. No patient confidentiality there.
    There are rooms in our hospital that have 6 patients to a room. I agree with the no patient confidentiality, however the hospitals are all Government funded and with constent budget cuts it will only get worse. 

• Options

If I could have had my L&D nurse in the PP room, I would still be in that hospital right now. She was that awesome. The PP nurses were okay, but nothing compared to her. 

A million times this! She was incredible. I honestly don't think I could have done it without her.

I ended up in the hospital for 6 days. It was nuts. I went in on Tues morning for induction, but it didn't take the dirt day. Didn't have the baby until Wed night. He went to the nicu for breathing complications and was there for 4 more days. Because of how late in the day I delivered, I was able to stay in recovery an extra day. Then they let me board in a room by the nicu because I was nursing LO while he was in the nicu. If he had had to say longer, I would have had to EP and go home. Luckily it was an awesome hospital with all private rooms and quite good food.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @tttwalters I left 6 hours after having M because my hospital is kinda hurtin (didn't have central air) and I would have had to share a room, I would have been woken up a lot and I wouldn't even try the food.  I think this is a bit of a difference between American hospitals and Canadian.  Perhaps with the odd exception like @Mufflerlove
    No AC!!! that is insane, it was a hot June here. I agree there is a huge difference with hospitals between here and the US. My brother had his appendix taken out in Chicago and  he had a private room with really nice meals! Maybe we should cross the border for our next babies!
    They had a questionable looking window unit that when it was on made us so cold and when it was off made us sweat.  But the staff there are so good it makes it worth it.  

• Options
    All my GTA ladies need to come out to Scarborough for their next babies. Maybe it's because I had low expectations, but I was vary happy with my hospital experience. Except that there were not enough nurses for PP recovery.

On a related note, I am SO happy my hospital did not have a nursery and DD never left my side (except when DH took her for a walk in the hall).

• Options
    BC&LM said:
    Bringing it over from the spam thread:

I don't agree with the way they do celebrations in schools. I think it is a distraction & they should focus on learning while there. If they wanted to do something, they should do it over lunch.

We don't celebrate Easter.

We couldn't wait to get out of the hospital, but that is because they were full, so we were put in a closet off the nursery. No food service, no bathroom, no tv, lights couldn't be turned off, slept on a cot, and had to get a nurse to open the door every time to get back into our room (like if we went out to the bathroom or to get water). If I had just delivered a baby, I could see wanting to stay longer.
    How was that even legal for them to put you in a room like that? Doesn't it violate health codes or something!?
    That's what I was thinking.  I would have walked out.  And reported it.
    Technically, we weren't patients, so nothing to report. We were just thankful that they let us stay. As adoptive parents, we had temporary legal custody, but that means the baby would have stayed in the nursery & we could visit, not necessarily guaranteed a room.
    Gotcha. That makes a little more sense. Although at our hospital, they let adoptive parents have a "courtesy room" which is the same as a standard hospital room!
    Yeah, they "normally" do, but they were busy & didn't have any PP rooms for us. The closet wasn't terrible, but it did make us feel like we were getting 2nd tier treatment. We did refuse to give them our insurance information because I didn't think it was right to charge our insurance for staying in a closet..
    2nd tier treatment, So Canada? (at least the closet was private). I kid though really, it does suck because you were to be caring for the baby.

• Options
    majwv8 said:
    Oh another biggie for me was that H wasn't allowed to spend the night.  
    What?! That wouldn't have been okay with me. He had a couch/futon thing to sleep on and said it actually wasn't too bad. He went home to shower and let the dog out, but that was maybe an hour and the rest of the time he was in the room with us.
    Yes this is why I didn't stay spend the night! 

• Options
    I never ever want to forget how J's head smells... Maybe I'm a weirdo but I smell him like all day erryday. :x

Stuck in the box

Me too!! I love to smell him. His head, his little neck...ah I love it! 

• Options
    CL8badB said:
    kari5186 said:
    BC&LM said:
    Bringing it over from the spam thread:

I don't agree with the way they do celebrations in schools. I think it is a distraction & they should focus on learning while there. If they wanted to do something, they should do it over lunch.

We don't celebrate Easter.

We couldn't wait to get out of the hospital, but that is because they were full, so we were put in a closet off the nursery. No food service, no bathroom, no tv, lights couldn't be turned off, slept on a cot, and had to get a nurse to open the door every time to get back into our room (like if we went out to the bathroom or to get water). If I had just delivered a baby, I could see wanting to stay longer.
    How was that even legal for them to put you in a room like that? Doesn't it violate health codes or something!?
    That's what I was thinking.  I would have walked out.  And reported it.
    Technically, we weren't patients, so nothing to report. We were just thankful that they let us stay. As adoptive parents, we had temporary legal custody, but that means the baby would have stayed in the nursery & we could visit, not necessarily guaranteed a room.
    Gotcha. That makes a little more sense. Although at our hospital, they let adoptive parents have a "courtesy room" which is the same as a standard hospital room!
    Yeah, they "normally" do, but they were busy & didn't have any PP rooms for us. The closet wasn't terrible, but it did make us feel like we were getting 2nd tier treatment. We did refuse to give them our insurance information because I didn't think it was right to charge our insurance for staying in a closet..
    Love it = glad you didn't let them charge your insurance.
    I really just did this to bug @gigglejiggle and @cl8badb, carry on
    ------- @tttwalters‌ =))
    so many branches, leaves? what are they "technically" called?

• Options
    MaelaraMaelara member
    edited April 2014
    Aw! @No longer the best I swear not all Canadian hospitals are that bad. I live in Canada and while my room wasnt luxury suite awesome, it was still pretty great. And the food was good. The cafeteria food at my hospital is so good. I still think about it's poutine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"