Baby Names
Options

Deviation from Biblical for 4th?

After naming DD Miriam Joy (nn Miri), following Isaac Levi and Ezra John, DH and I have very few options that we like for potential Biblical/Hebrew girl names.

Unless a thunderbolt literally strikes me and I suddenly favor a name, the Bible doesn't hold any more girl contenders and we'd be branching out to Hebrew.

All this said, just 5 minutes on this board reminded me of my love for Felicity as a possible "virtue" name.

DH has 12 aunts and uncles whose names all start with the letter J, except the 13th uncle was named with an S. I just don't want to do that to our 4th child!

What are you thoughts? 
Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

Re: Deviation from Biblical for 4th?

• Options

As someone who has never read the bible, I didn't realize that Miriam was even a biblical name (knew it was of Hebrew origin, but didn't connect it to the bible).  So there's that.

I wouldn't force yourself into a name you don't like just to make a "set".

Is Talia a biblical name?  I know it's Hebrew in origin, and it popped into my head right away when I saw your DD name.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    bromios said:
    I think your children have amazingly beautiful names and your daughter is a little bundle of scrumptiousness! 

I think it is fine either way - I don't believe any thunderbolts will be directed your way should you not go biblical. I think Felicity is fine, but not in the same class of elegance and beauty as the other names in your family. I would start mining for Hebrew names (or maybe saint names, if that's compatible with your belief system - there are a lot of great names in there).
    Thank you so much! We're quite enamored with our Miri girl. :D Your comment about thunderbolts made me laugh, I guess I meant more like a lightbulb moment, opposed to a lightening strike from God for not choosing a Biblical name, hah! I'll blame pregnancy brain for my writing fail. Unfortunately not Catholic, so saints names aren't add ins.
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options

As someone who has never read the bible, I didn't realize that Miriam was even a biblical name (knew it was of Hebrew origin, but didn't connect it to the bible).  So there's that.

Is Talia a biblical name?  I know it's Hebrew in origin, and it popped into my head right away when I saw your DD name.

You're having me go look now on Talia! People already struggle with pronouncing our kids names as it is, SMH, so I'm not sure about Talia (Tah-leah or Tal-yah possibilities) and with my name being Leah.

• Options
    I'm no help with Biblical names but yeah, wow, she's cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    bromios said:
    You're writing's fine, I'm just dramatic ;)

This is the part where I throw down a long (and entirely unsolicited) list of name suggestions:
    Elisheva
    Nessa
    Yael
    Adina
    Liora
    Nava
    Alona
    Avigail
    Dorothea (not Hebrew, but faith-centric)
    Theodora (ditto)
    Hah! unsolicited is fine so long as it doesn't include Hannah, Rebecca, Ruth or Leah (yeah that's happened). 

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Grace0609 said:
    Hey, Leah :).  Ok, so I am going to dissent and say that I LOVE your other kids' names so much, and feel like they are so perfectly matched and Biblical that hope you stick with Biblical or Hebrew for #4.  (I am still voting for Naomi!)  I feel like Felicity would be so perfect for a MN, since Miriam's MN is a virtue name, but I do think it would be just a touch "off" as a first name with your other kids.

But, this is coming from someone who looks a lot at sibsets and loves Biblical names.
    Hi mama! I absolutely appreciate it too. :D Naomi could still make a stand! ;) And I do love that you look at it from a sibset and Biblical names standpoint, as I feel like so many would just shrug it off.

• Options
    I'm no help with Biblical names but yeah, wow, she's cute.
    Still valid in my book. ;)

• Options
    2013mommy said:
    I really like Felicity. I would not find it out of place. When I hear your other children's names I do not think Biblical theme at all but I am also zero percent religious so I might be in the minority there. 
    Hey, I still appreciate that they sound like they go together without any apparent religious tie! :D

• Options

You're having me go look now on Talia! People already struggle with pronouncing our kids names as it is, SMH, so I'm not sure about Talia (Tah-leah or Tal-yah possibilities) and with my name being Leah.

It's actually my co-worker's daughter's name-- she says it like Tal-yah and calls her Talli (rhymes with Dolly) as a NN.  I seriously love it.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I had a facebook friend just write a looooong post about why they chose the name Talia for their daughter. He said it means "God's morning dew" in Hebrew and it was meaningful to them because of a specefic passage of scripture. I could look it up if you're interested. 
    It's growing on me!

• Options
    catahoulattecatahoulatte member
    edited April 2014
    Eden is the first name that popped into my mind.
    Seraphina!! Hebrew origin and one of my FAAAVORITE girl names.
    Rachel
    Adena
    Susanna

I really like Talia, as PP suggested. I'm kind of sad that people have a hard time with your kids' names....what's so hard about them??! LOL

Other names that aren't "technically" biblical but I think match-

Grace and Noelle- still have clearly Christian undertones
    Gabrielle and Michaela-feminized versions of the archangels.

It's a start. I'll probably think of more later.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Love love your kids names. :) I also love Felicity & Naomi as contenders. I think they flow well. My kids sort of accidentally have Biblical names as well. DS is Jude & this baby girl will be Eve. We're Christians so having Biblical names is awesome to us but we didn't plan for ladybug to also have a Biblical name. It just happened that way because we love Eve & it's not very common where we live. :)

One of the prettiest names I've ever heard was a little girl I photographed once. Her name was Naomi Lauren. Another name I've loved is Jillian Hope which I think flows lovely together.

Here's a few suggestions you might like -

Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Lydia
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Acacia

(pn "Aa-kay-shah". This is a tree next to a river in the Bible. I once knew a girl named Acacia & it was SO cute)
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Judith
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Phoebe
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Eve
    (because I'm so very partial. lol)

• Options
    I was going to suggest Eve and Rachel.
  • Options
    Susanna

I really like Talia, as PP suggested. I'm kind of sad that people have a hard time with your kids' names....what's so hard about them??! LOL

I forgot about Susanna and for that matter Anna. Unfortunately people often think Ezra is a made up name and without fail I have to spell all three names. :-q

• Options
    Grace0609 said:
    I like this.  When I looked it up it said it was like "divine nourishment"....sounded like manna almost. A very pretty name.

I have no idea how reputable this source is, but this is where I found it:
    https://www.aish.com/jl/l/b/48966261.html
    Talia
    Talia means "dew from God." In kabbalah, Tal signifies Divine nourishment in a hidden manner, like dew that descends unseen to water the plants.
    My friend's SIL's daughter (hah!) is named Talia and it has a positive connotation for me as well. It'll have to be added. :)

• Options
    Skeemer said:

Love love your kids names. :) I also love Felicity & Naomi as contenders. I think they flow well. My kids sort of accidentally have Biblical names as well. DS is Jude & this baby girl will be Eve. We're Christians so having Biblical names is awesome to us but we didn't plan for ladybug to also have a Biblical name. It just happened that way because we love Eve & it's not very common where we live. :)

One of the prettiest names I've ever heard was a little girl I photographed once. Her name was Naomi Lauren. Another name I've loved is Jillian Hope which I think flows lovely together.

Here's a few suggestions you might like -

Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Lydia
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Acacia

(pn "Aa-kay-shah". This is a tree next to a river in the Bible. I once knew a girl named Acacia & it was SO cute)
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Judith
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Phoebe
    Miri, Isaac, Ezra & Eve
    (because I'm so very partial. lol)

Love Jude! Unfortunately we trip over Isaac and Ezra both having similar sounds, I don't think we could add another name starting with a vowel.

• Options
    sharksfan said:
    I'm not going to be very helpful suggesting other biblical names, but I personally think you should stick with the theme. While non - religious people may not see the theme, I'm assuming your children will be able to recognize it. If I were the 4th and my name didn't fit my sibling's name theme, I'd feel left out. Your other children have fantastic names; I'm sure you can find another. Good luck!
    Thank you! That's absolutely true and what I'm worried about. :/

• Options
    How about Delilah?
  • Options
    Some of my favorite female Hebrew/Biblical names:

Elana
    Talia
    Adina/Dina/Dinah
    Naomi
    Judith (I think this name particularly rocks with the rest of your kids' names!)
    Ariela
    Yael

If you want something that's biblical, but more mainstream:

Abigail
    Rebecca
    Rachel

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

Elana
    Talia
    Adina/Dina/Dinah
    Naomi
    Judith (I think this name particularly rocks with the rest of your kids' names!)
    Ariela
    Yael

Abigail
    Rebecca
    Rachel

Yael is so frickin pretty.

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

Elana
    Talia
    Adina/Dina/Dinah
    Naomi
    Ariela
    Yael

Abigail
    Rebecca
    Rachel

I know -- I teach two girls named Yael this year.  LOVE it!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

Elana
    Talia
    Adina/Dina/Dinah
    Naomi
    Ariela
    Yael

Abigail
    Rebecca
    Rachel

I read this three times as so fricken picky. Hah!

Talia and Naomi are still about the only ones I'd consider. I grew up in a Christian school and this is my 5th pregnancy, so I think I've considered the crap out of all Biblical/Hebrew names.

• Options
    I'm gonna throw Sara out there. It's my name, and I grew up hating it because it was so popular....BUT, I think that it is now an underused name and have grown quite fond of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My favorite female biblical name is Sarai (sorry if this was already mentioned).
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think Felicity goes amazingly with your other children. Also, I am Christian but none of their names scream Bible to me, they are biblical if you think about it a little, but don't come across as super religious names. I don't think too many people would pick up on it at a first glance. Go with what you love!

Edit to add I also think Naomi is stunning with the other names as well.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    I love your sibset but find it very biblical as a Christian. I would continue the strong theme. 

I do love Felicity and feel it works as it's a virtue name. 

I think Naomi is a perfect fit. 

I also like the suggestion of Lydia.

Have you considered maybe a double first name with one name being biblical? 
    Like:
    Mary Elizabeth
    Anna Katherine/Anna Kate
    Anna Claire

• Options
    I like Susanna, Esther, Dinah, Rizpah, Rahab and Zipporah
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    KTZ17KTZ17 member
    I love Leora.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I usually just lurk but I love Biblical names so I'm jumping in. DD is Ruth and we love it but it's not a name most people love. Ditto pp suggestion of Selah. Also I know of a girl named Ecc.lesia nn Cle.si (clee-zee). It's kind of "out there" but Biblical and great meaning. Phillipa could work as a nod to Phillipians.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If your kids were Zedekiah, Obadiah, Hezekiah, and you wanted to name the fourth one Bob... that wouldn't work. 

I think Felicity is lovely and sounds great with your sibset.
  • Options
    LimaDLimaD member
    Haven't read all of the responses, but I really like Abigail and Lydia. They're biblical names...otherwise Felicity really is wonderful!
  • Options
    Grace0609 said:
    Have you already crossed Bethany off the list?
    Great suggestion! It's actually my SIL's name, so no go. :)

• Options
    edited April 2014
    LimaD said:
    Haven't read all of the responses, but I really like Abigail and Lydia. They're biblical names...otherwise Felicity really is wonderful!
    I've had a love/hate with Lydia due to a person in my life when I was younger. And unfortunately Abigail is tied to a tragic death in our family, so it will not be used.

• Options
    I love Esther but in your sibset Iit may be too close to Ezra. Deborah, Naomi, Rachel and Sarah are some of my personal favorites. :)
  • Options
    myatala said:
    I love Esther but in your sibset Iit may be too close to Ezra. Deborah, Naomi, Rachel and Sarah are some of my personal favorites. :)
    Yeah, we trip over Isaac and Ezra sometimes as it is, so it's very unlikely that we'll be going with another name starting with a vowel. Naomi was a far third for our daughter.

• Options
    Tamar, Elizabeth, Martha, Magdalene (as in Mary)...plus I'm sure there are a bunch of other names that didn't having a "starring" role so they wouldn't be as obvious. There is also Hadassah (Esther's birth name). I know people who named their daughter this and use the NN Hattie. Good luck!

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Options
    LimaDLimaD member
    edited April 2014
    What about Eve?
    or Adah, Elizabeth, Joanna, Phoebe, Sarah

ETA: I know two baby girls named Eden
  • Options
    Love your kids' names! I like Felicity a lot and like it with your other kids' names. Suggestions: Hadassah, Aviva, Rivka, Shoshana, Tamar, Tabitha. Sidenote: your daughter is too cute!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would stick with the theme.

What about Martha? :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"