3rd Trimester
Options

Carpal tunnel

Has anyone else experienced severe carpal tunnel during pregnancy? Trying to find solutions for pain

Re: Carpal tunnel

• Options
    I’ve been using a wrist brace, it has really helped with the numbness during the night and the wrist pain during the day. I also get relief from massaging my fingers and wrist to ease the swelling.
  • Options
    Look into DeQuervain Tenosynovitis. 
    I had it terrible in left wrist and ended up needing surgery when my daughter was 3 months old. 

De Quervain Tenosynovitis
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, it was really bad especially at night! I’d wake up with both hands/arms asleep. I’d have to hold them up over my head til the feeling came back. My son is a week and a half old and haven’t had any of those types of issues since giving birth!
  • Options
    Ice packs around your wrists, while keeping your arms elevated helps.
  • Options
    Oh man I’ve been struggling with this.
    I got my myself copper braces that you can use an ice pack with, heated mittens for the morning so I can get warmed up for
    work (hairstylist) and I also use all natural arthritis cream every night. Ice at night helped me tremendously. Once I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes and got on a really strict diet I don’t swell up anymore so the carpal tunnel has eased off a lot since my swelling has gone down. 
  • Options
    Yes. I have. Not this time, thank goodness. 2 of my pregnancies I had carpal tunnel symptoms and would wake up with numb hands, so numb I'd have to lift the hand to move it. Once I woke my husband to move my hands because both were numb. 
    Change your diet. That helped me. Also the copper braces as stated above. I hated those symptoms, I hope yours improve. 
  • Options
    I started getting carpal tunnel symptoms early second trimester. I work a laborious job, it was very painful. Couldn’t sleep, due to burning in both arms. Diet, physio, massage did not help. I ended up getting cortisone shots in both wrists. Amazing!! Have not had any symptoms since and was able to finally sleep!
  • Options
    Mine started in week 26, and got progressively worse over the course of several weeks. It was excruciating, and I felt like the stiffened up worse at night. I was already going into the chiropractor for prenatal visits and physical therapy, so I just incorporated this into that routine. It stayed pretty steadily bad until we added acupuncture a few weeks back (week 31). It's been getting progressively better since then (now in week 34), although it does flare up pretty nastly when it rains. I do recommend checking out acupuncture! I was skeptical, but I'm not going to argue with the results.
  • Options
    Hi! My ortho that treats a sports injury suggested cortisone shots for my severe carpal tunnel and my OB said no, it’s just part of pregnancy. I’m 35 weeks and it’s been debilitating pain since like 25. Did your OB suggest cortisone? At what week did you get the shots? I’m desperate. Thank you!!!
  • Options
    earvinearvin member
    I had terrible carpal tunnel and a combo of acupuncture + using a wrist brace got rid of it. I liked this wrist brace (the ones with like a plastic guard in them were too restrictive for me) - https://amzn.to/3JAbo1N
  • Options
    Car1985Car1985 member
    wondering if I have this. My fingers and hands are so stiff in the morning when I wake up I can hardly move them. Once I massage, ice them, and do some hand exercises they feel better. My doctor didn’t think it was carpal tunnel since I don’t have swelling or pain in my wrist as much. Anyone else have it mostly be their hands? I found that running my hands under cold water for a few minutes helps as well as the Theragun on my hands.