Parenting
Options

Should You Say Happy Mother’s Day to Pregnant Woman?

What are your thoughts on wishing a pregnant woman a Happy Mother’s Day? Is it appropriate or insensitive? Should we wait until the baby is born to celebrate the woman as a mother? Share your opinions and experiences on this topic.

Re: Should You Say Happy Mother’s Day to Pregnant Woman?

• Options
    Yes, because regardless of what happens, that woman is a mother and that doesn't change! 
  • Options
    I told my family not to say happy mother's day to me while I was pregnant, I felt like it was bad luck. That's just me though and I totally understand that many women appreciate it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I say know your audience.: Some women would like that, others not. I was pregnant with my first living child last mother's day, and I did not want to be treated as a mom. Prior to that, all I had known was loss and infertility. Mother's Day was the hardest day of the year, and I usually spent it hiding out and mourning. Last mother's day wasn't as hard, but I wasn't comfortable being told happy mother's day, in part because I was guarding my heart and didn't think this baby would survive. 

It wasn't until I was a adult that I realized how incredibly difficult mother's day is for so many people: women who want to have kids but can't or don't, women who have lost children (before or after birth), children who have lost mothers, mothers who can't be with their children, children who can't be with their mothers, step- and foster mothers who do all the work and then some but may never hear a child call them " mom", single moms who don't have a partner to get the kids you celebrate her, and so on. So if the person you're thinking of would like it, go ahead and wish them a hair mother's day, but check in first so you know it would make them feel good rather than bad.
  • Options
    I think it’s weird to say. They aren’t mothers yet so I don’t really get why you would say happy Mother’s Day to a pregnant woman. 
  • Options
    I think this depends on your thoughts on when a baby is alive. Personally, I believe life starts at conception so when I was pregnant with my first child, I gladly accepted Mother’s Day wishes from friends and family and loved that my husband celebrated me as a mother at that time. Some people don’t feel this way or do but have a history of loss and don’t want to feel as if they’re getting their hopes up to be let down by another loss. Personally, I feel whether you experience loss or birth your child you are a mother and that life should absolutely be celebrated. 
  • Options
    I believe you're a mother just as much when the baby is inside you.