2nd Trimester

Help! New job and 15 weeks.... how do i tell them?

kimmy101285kimmy101285 Just Joined
edited January 2023 in 2nd Trimester
I am 15 weeks pregnant and starting a new job... when should i tell them? How do i explain if they ask why i didnt say anything earlier???

Answers

• If you haven’t already negotiated your salary I would recommend negotiating a maternity leave during that time. Otherwise I’d try to wait a month or so after you start to give yourself an opportunity to show how hard you work. It’s illegal for them to fire you or discriminate against you in any way because you are pregnant, so keep that in mind.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • babygs2023babygs2023 member
    edited January 2023
    I’m in the same boat! I plan on telling them as soon as I start and detailing my work strategy for the next few months and time I’m gone. Try to make it as positive as you can. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • First, congrats times two! A new job and a new baby in one year is a lot but also so exciting! If I were in your position, it would probably depend on how much I was showing and where I was at in the hiring process. I second the advice about making leave part of your negotiations up front if you have not yet firmed up a salary. If you have not gotten a copy of the employee handbook, do that now. You can see what leave they typically offer and decide if it is sufficient or if you want to try for something longer.

If you’re already showing, this is probably the way to go. If you’re not and you’re already past the negotiating stage, you might want to wait a month. But there are no “bad” choices here. You have already gotten an offer and clearly they want you. Hopefully you will find the company supportive and welcoming of you, whether they know you’re pregnant up front or not.

I got pregnant the first week I started a new job (who would have thought) and because of that I do not qualify for FMLA or any paid leave due to my company’s one-year waiting period. So if you want to try for a longer leave, you may want to figure out how much of a hit you can afford to take salary-wise. (Of course, your company might not have a waiting period, or maybe they don’t offer paid leave at all.) At my company, I announced when I was 12 weeks along, and I was met with a lot of enthusiasm but also told by HR that decisions about leave would be addressed around the six-month mark. So right now I know what I want (12 weeks of leave) but have no way of knowing whether I’ll get it since HR doesn’t want to talk about it yet. If I’d had the chance to get 12 weeks locked in up front, I probably would have taken it. :)