May 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight/Ideas Thread: Nursery Furniture and Decor

FTMs, what are you planning for your nursery? What do you need help deciding on?

STMs, what cribs, changing tables, dressers, rockers/gliders, etc. do you have and love? If you're planning to create a nursery for this LO, what are your plans, and what are you doing differently the second time around?

Everyone, feel free to share your nursery ideas and themes!  :)

Re: Product Spotlight/Ideas Thread: Nursery Furniture and Decor

• I decided before I got pregnant to do a woodland nursery for this baby. With DD, I did a safari animal nursery. DD's espresso-finished crib and dresser are going to be perfect for the new baby's room! We have the Emerson set from Delta Children. We have the version of the dresser with a changing table top, so all we needed to add was the changing pad. I don't remember what brand of glider we have or where we bought it, but it looks like an overstuffed off-white armchair with a ring underneath that lets you rock and swivel, and it has a separate gliding ottoman. I need to use an extra pillow when I sit on the chair because I'm too short for my feet to touch the ground otherwise. (It's a common issue for me.  :p )
    I'm making up decor as I go along, but I definitely want this Atwood crib sheet from Copper Pearl even though it's a little expensive. And although this is more in the apparel category, I cannot wait to wrap this little guy in the Copper Pearl Fawn swaddle. I see a baby deer, but DH sees a potato. :lol:
    We're also redoing DD's room to be an outer space theme with white furniture. She has a bed with a bookshelf headboard but we still need to find a dresser, and maybe some cubby storage. She already has a ton of stars on her walls and I want to reorganize them into constellations. And we definitely need this rocket ship lamp!
  • We don’t really do themes for our babies, just colors and patterns that go because I think it’s easier to change to a big kid room that way. 

Our son’s room was gray and orange walls, with navy and white chevron for the curtains and sheets, etc. Gray furniture that has since been discontinued from Babies R Us- I think it’s called Ti Amo Palazzo. If my husband can get replacement screws, we’re going to reuse the crib and dresser with changing pad for baby, and buy him a new dresser.  

For baby girl, we’re planning gray walls (I love gray walls 😂) with a turquoise accent wall behind the crib, and then pink bedding and accents. I got a couple of rainbow things, but I’m not 100% sold on that- we’ll see about that. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I love when people do themes, not really my thing. I have friends that have gorgeous flower wallpaper for their girls and some painted themes for their kids. My neighbors kids have changed their room colors and designs like 5 times already and I get anxiety with thinking on how much paint is on the walls. But I am leaning on getting giant mountain stickers since we have a Jeep twin bed in the room for when he’s older and for me when I nurse and just wanna pass out after. 

We used my DD old crib I’m surprised I kept it for 6 years!!! It’s grey and a 4 in 1, I would have loved a white crib with all my kids but DH is against it. But we ditched getting a changing table and just opted for a dresser and put a changing pad on top or change diapers on the bed. I have a 3 tier rolling cart organized with diapers, pumping things, clothes and some other necessities and I plan to get another for downstairs. Also have an area by our bathroom downstairs where I plan to put a changing pad (stole this idea from a friend that just had her baby). 

Babies room use to be my gift closet/ craft room/guest room. So I have 12 cube organizer in the closet. I’ve filled some of the bins already with clothes I’ve gotten that are bigger than preemie to 0-3m. The smaller clothes I’ve hung up.  I also have toys that are for when he’s older in some of the bins for now until I have my baby shower. I have tubs of gifts and drinks I’ve slowly been buying for the baby shower on the shelves for now. I also want to label the bins once I have it better organized when we’ve gotten more things. I’ve held off on buying a lot of clothes (it’s very very hard especially when sales come 😬) I just love all the baby things. Also I’ve looked around on sites where people get rid of things. So I look for baby items that are in great condition that are free or low cost. I got a $150 baby swing for free and a $120 exersaucer thing for free too. This helps cut costs for baby room and items you might actually have to buy after baby shower. My last 2 kids we had to buy majority of everything and babies are EXPENSIVE so I’m all about saving where ever I can. I would have refurbished a dresser but I wanted new because I was putting a baby on top and wanted it to have a warranty and hold x amount of weight. 
  • My husband gets a wild hair literally every other week and moves furniture around, so I don't get too married to any furniture arrangement. We also will have 4 kids split between two bedrooms once this baby moves out of our bedroom, so it's less theme-y and more "welcome to this existing room."  :D 

Definitely get a good glider, especially if you hope to have other children. I've spent so many hours in our glider over the past 6 years that even the little creaks are comforting. Also consider how it can be cleaned - ours is microfiber I think (it's just from Target, nothing fancy) and cleans easily with windex and a brush. Your glider will be covered in all sorts of fluids pretty quickly, so avoid anything too precious.

My favorite thing in our nurseries is an old dresser that my grandmother bought when she was pregnant with my mom. It was used through my mom and both of her sisters, myself and both of my siblings, all 6 of my maternal cousins and through all 3 of my kids so far. All of our names and birth dates are written on the bottom of a drawer. We've sanded it down and stained it a few times and cleaned the brass handles, and it's just so beautiful. I guess what I'm saying is don't feel like you need to go out and buy all brand new, matching furniture to have some Pinterest ready, aesthetic nursery. Of course you want a calm, welcoming space that you love and are comfortable in, but it doesn't need to be instagram worthy to be all of those things.
  • @BourbonBiscuits Love the story behind that dresser! I hope it continues to be passed down in your family.

My husband is the same way about moving furniture and I always have to rein him in. I don't want to constantly change the layout of our rooms, my husband is not exceptionally strong and there's no way I can help him, and it takes so much time when we have a little kid running around. But he did figure out a way to reconfigure our master bedroom so we don't have to switch bedrooms when the baby is born! He was like, "Thank you for accepting my idea for once!" and I kind of bit my tongue...out of a dozen furniture layout ideas, it was the best one he's ever had.  :p 
  • I try to be super practical in all baby stuff. Some of it only lasts for like 6 months, meaning baby can only use it for that long, so then it gets stored away. I try to get as many grow with baby as I can. Crib, certain toys, etc. I didn't do a diaper changing table, we went with the dresser that you can add the changer part on top of. Seconding a good glider, I should've thought about cleaning it when I registered for ours.

Recommendations on bassinets? We did a PNP with our oldest 2, but in a non practical way lol, I want a bassinet this time that I can just grab baby out easily while still in bed.
  • @gingermama46 I got a halo bassinet from somebody in a local mom group for $50 this time. We did a PNP last time too. We’ll see how this works. I want to put her in the crib much earlier this time and this should help, since she won’t fit in it much past a couple months anyway. 
  • I'm getting all kinds of internet ads for baby stuff. Y'all talk to me about convertible bassinet/mini/crib/junior bed things. How quickly do the babes grow out of the bassinet? Are mini cribs useful as an intermediate size? Do the junior bed conversions hold up?

I am thinking that we'll set up the crib in our bedroom at first, so I can see how having the mini crib option on a convertible would save space for a while.
  • @radioactivet kind of depends on how long you want to keep baby in your room, IMO. We have a pack n play with bassinet attachment that baby sleeps in until we move them to the nursery. That's worked perfectly for all 3 of our kids so far, although by the time they've outgrown the bassinet, we're typically ready to move them to the nursery as I gear up to return to work.
  • @radioactivet we used the uppababy bassinet with our first and it was great as it was so versatile. I'm not sure how many other stroller bassinets are overnight sleep rated, but we used ours till probably around 3-4 months then just transitioned her to the full crib at that point. I think the reccomendation is that you transition them when they show signs of rolling? We even took it travelling as it has a carrying case, which worked out well at the grandparents places for the first bit. I would reccomend the bassinet stand if you do the uppababy one as it keeps it up at about bed height, so I had it pulled up pretty close to my bed for easy middle of the night feeding access.