February 2023 Moms
Options

Weekly Check-in Jan 2

2»

Re: Weekly Check-in Jan 2

• Options
    seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited January 2023
    @fertile-turtle I had a lot of movement the last couple days and now we're pretty sure she's head up!! I'm only 33 weeks +3 days so I have time and she's got room. I'm just hoping I don't have another stuck foot in my super tight ligament incident again. 

Also...my midwife always suggested wearing a support belt all day once they are head down to lock them in place. 
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle I’m so happy and relieved for you! 🎉🎉🎉
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cpk3535cpk3535 member
    edited January 2023
    Just got scheduled for a backup play c-section on my due date in case this little guy seems too comfortable in there and isn't moving on his own. I’m really hoping I don’t have to go that route, but whatever, better safe than sorry. 

Also, for my hospital bag, I’ll going to grab some dog peepee pads. Last time, when my baby flipped breach before our emergency c-section, I lost a lot of fluid. I was so thankful to have peepee pads in our truck, kind of like adult diapers I could just wrap around the outside of my pants. Might be a good quick add-in for some of you ladies, too, just in case!
  • Options
    @cpk3535 Good (and graphic 😂) tip.  I use the incontinence pads for my home births. They're way bigger than the doggie ones.
  • Options
    @seeds_of_joy lol, sorry to be gross! I adjusted that description a little bit 🤢😂
  • Options
    😂😂 I wasn't offended at all. It was a very colorful description. 
  • Options
    @cpk3535 that sounds like a good idea! I might just grab a few chucks pads from work to have on hand. I’d forgotten that a friend warned about how she’d lined her car seat with trash bags and towels to get to the hospital, and disposable sounds like a much easier protective option.

Any other hospital packing or preparation tips? We’re trying to get ourselves packed, but I feel like there are so many lists that seem either over the top or so minimal that we’d be missing something essential, and it’s hard to know what the middle ground is.
  • Options
    I’m also planning to pack tomorrow and would love tips. Similarly, I find a lot of lists that seem like I’d be bringing a ton of items. I assume I’ll over pack because of this.
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle lol, yeah, some of those lists seem like things I would take on a cruise with me! Here’s what I’m trying to pack this time (round 3):

For myself: 
    - insurance card, ID card, birth plan if you have anything important to note
    - basic cosmetics, brush, hair ties, and self-care stuff (deodorant, shampoo, toothbrush & toothpaste)
    - medicine
    - a set of slouchy PJs that I don’t care much about (got a set at Costco the other day for $10!)
    - a bathrobe and some slippers and/or slipper socks (again, go cheap, this is the hospital)
    - a loose-fitting comfy outfit to go home in (one site references what you wore around 6 months pregnant)
    - you might bring some postpartum mesh undies and BIG pads (although my hospital usually provides me with a huge grab bag of this stuff)
    - nursing bras 
    - phone, charger
    - books, magazines
    - refillable water bottle, some of my own snacks. My hospitals always seem to provide terrible for food for moms, oddly.
    - some basics for your husband or partner coming with you, too. I think we brought my husband a pillow and blanket last time so he could nap, too.

For baby:
    - a footed onesie, or whatever adorable outfit probably in NB or 3m size and a cute cap (although the hospital usually provides caps)
    - car seat and blankets
    - you usually don’t have to bring diapers since the hospital typically gives you a bunch, but you totally can. 

Did I miss anything obvious, STM+s???
  • Options
    @cpk3535 thanks! That looks like a totally reasonable and doable list, and I really appreciate it! And I’ll keep an eye on the thread in case anyone has something else to add or comments that might be helpful.
  • Options
    @cpk3535 very good point about bringing clothing you would wear around 6 months pregnant! I made the mistake of bringing a tie skirt that I wore for part of my pregnancy with my first. When I put it on to go home, it barely fit...way too tight. I think my hips got  bigger in labor. I would definitely recommend maternity pants or jogging/PJ pants. Another thing I should have brought was lotion. 
  • Options
    I agree with the list above! I’d add: 
    Chapstick 
    Nipple cream, if you plan to breast feed 
    Pacifiers, if you plan to use them 

also, for my first I brought way too much for baby and ended up only needing the outfit home. For me, I packed enough clothes and ended up being so exhausted and felt too much pain from a tear to get up that I didn’t even change or shower 😬 I plan to wear normal clothes and shower this time to feel clean, but I say that to say if you went with nothing for yourself you’d be provided everything you need. So don’t stress it too much 😊
  • Options
    @cpk3535 That list was so helpful! Thank you! I’ve been starting to think about what to bring to the hospital although, I’m at the back of the pack with this group (due date Feb 24th). I don’t plan to pack my hospital bag until the 36 week mark. 
  • Options
    I tried to go more of a minimal route because I always overpack for things 🤣 I put my things in travel-like cubes and labeled them with post-it noes because I read it helps your partner with quickly finding something for you. Also, don’t forget a long charger cable & a battery for when your phone/kindle doesn’t reach an outlet! 

• Options
    Along with packing, I just found out that giving gifts to your labor and delivery team is a thing. Honestly, it hadn’t crossed my mind. What have you done in the past or plan to do. I’ve thought of a basket with pens, lotion, chapstick, and some food, but I honestly have no idea what to give.
  • Options
    @karbaud I have honestly never heard of this nor done it. I think if you want to it would be nice but I don’t have any suggestions.  
  • Options
    @karbaud Same here, @angbaby83! I could see gifting to a team doing an at-home birth, but the turnaround time in the hospital for workers is crazy. I always feel like I barely have a chance to learn somebody’s name before their shift ends and I never see them again 😂 
  • Options
    @karbaud I had never heard of it until after my first was born and I don’t plan to do it this time. There’s SO many nurses that’ll be taking care of you and baby that I’d feel bad if I did for one and not the others. 
  • Options
    @karbaud As someone who has been a nurse and have worked on the hospital floors, you can’t go wrong with food and treats for the staff. Another thought is hand cream since our hands get so dry from over washing them throughout the day. But usually, we would receive food or baked goods from patients sometimes.