March 2023 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Blankets

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Blankets, sleep sacks and swaddles!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

AAP guidelines say nothing in the crib (including blankets and stuffed animals) until 1 year of age. 

1. What did you use swaddle baby (if baby liked to be swaddled)?
2. Did you have a favorite blanket for tummy time or tucked into the car seat for cold weather?
3. What did you use to keep baby warm at night?

Next up: Health and Safety

Re: Product Spotlight: Blankets

• Options
    In the beginning, I had Aden and Anais swaddle blankets but she would wiggle out of them, and they would get loose. Which gave me so much anxiety so I quickly switched to the halo velcro swaddle and I will be using those immediately this time. 

Once she started rolling over, I switch to the woolino 4-season sleep sack. I LOVE them, and highly recommend them if you want to go the sleep sack route. 

In her car seat, I used a cover (not in the car), and covered her with a blanket my grandma gave her. 
  • Options
    I also used Halo Velcro swaddles and transitioned to sleep sacks until around age 2. I gave a small blanket for comfort around age 1 but they can’t keep them on. 

Other swaddle products we liked were newborn Swaddle Me pods for the itty bitty stage and woombie zip swaddles. Sometimes the zipper was more effective and my kids wanted swaddled forever. 

For the car seat we used any random blanket when it was cold or used a breathable muslin blanket as a cover. This time around I ordered the Keyfit Zip car seat so it has a safe cover. The muslin blankets were nice for laying the baby down on random floors for play. I also have a thicker knit blanket specifically for floor play that all my kids have used. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I tried three different swaddles with my 1st before I found my favorite. The Wombie was good for the first 2 weeks, and then she would get an arm out. Then we tried a velcro type swaddle, but diaper changes were so loud. I ended up liking the Love to Dream arms up swaddle. They zip from the bottom, making diaper changes a breeze at night.
    I used Target's Cloud Island muslin swaddles for day time sleep and to nurse and all that jazz. My 17mo still sleeps with these.
    Any small fuzzy blanket works in the car for the cold weather. Just tuck and run. 
  • Options
    This blanket talk made me look at the woolino website. There's a print I really wanted for my daughter but never went for because they are pricey and we knew we wanted two kids so I went with gender neutral. But I needed a blanket for this baby and it happened to be on sale and in stock so I bought it! First thing I've bought for this baby! 

• Options
    noxacanthusnoxacanthus member
    edited November 2022
    This is like a flame-free Friday confession type post.

My daughter was a swaddle escape artist. Between that and the fact that hubby was weirdly anti-swaddle, we never used any sort of traditional swaddles. Instead, we had the bear suit. I kid you not. We used it like a swaddle (didn't put her arms in the sleeves), but because it wasn't one, hubby was okay with it. She slept in her bear suit until she was old enough for the magic merlin sleep suits and was close to rolling and I started to get seriously concerned about her suffocating on the hood.

This is in no way shape or form a safe sleep practice, I am not recommending it, and swaddling is one of the deep, really serious discussions hubby & I have had since finding out we are pregnant with #2. But it was kind of adorable.

• Options
    How many swaddles do y’all recommend? My shower is in two weeks and so far people have bought us a 3 pack of the cloud island flannel swaddles, 1 halo sleep sack, and 1 embe swaddle. We also have a 3 pack of SwaddleMe wraps on the registry still. It’s all 0-3 months. Should we register for more or add other brands?
  • Options
    OMG that bear suit is too cute 😂

We wound up swaddling a lot with the Velcro SwaddleMe brand and as she desired her hands out, eventually the Halo sleep sacks - both of those for night. For daytime sleep/ snuggles, we used muslin or jersey blankets. 

We have…a lot of the blankets for baby 2 because I went *hard* on buying them. We probably have 10. We also have close to 10 swaddles because friends kept giving them to us. With our daughter I think we had 6 jersey blankets and 2 swaddles. The number you need is really dependent on how quickly they get soiled and how often you do laundry, imho. 
  • Options
    I absolutely loved the Halo swaddles and the SwaddleMe ones as well. I also bought an Ollie but they’re pricey! We eventually transitioned to the love to dream swaddle because my son loved be arms out and this kept his arms up but also warm. They have a transition one we used too.
  • Options
    Love to dream swaddle up was one of our favs!
    FTM
    July 4th