March 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight: Rocking chairs, gliders, recliners

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Rocking chairs, gliders, recliners!
FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For S+TMs: 

Any specifics that may differentiate your preferences (height, home size, multiples, etc.):
Favorite [glider/rocking chair]:
Link/picture:
Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
What you like about it:
What you don't like about it, if anything:
Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
Additional thoughts on [glider/rocking chair]?:
For FTMs

[glider/rocking chair] you're interested in:
Link/picture:
Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Next up: Formula/Food Stuff/ Bottles

Re: Product Spotlight: Rocking chairs, gliders, recliners

• We honestly just bought the cheapest Amazon glider + ottoman we could find, and it has served us well. It looks like this:

We got it for $100, but it looks like 5 years of inflation has about doubled that price. 

The things I like were the covered arm rests, and having an ottoman to place my feet on while I nursed. For some reason it was easier to nurse with my feet up 🤷

Really there's nothing I don't like about it. It hasn't stained, and the microfiber cleans up well with a wet cloth. It's surprisingly held up to 3 babies that nursed every night for 12 months.

• miss_lynn9miss_lynn9 member
    edited November 2022
    We wanted something that we could use in the living room after we were done with it in the kids room. We bought a second hand leather chair. It was about $300 second hand. I don't remember what brand it is. It's still in perfect for us.

I wanted leather so it's easier to keep clean. I also wanted one with an ottoman, feet up is 100% better. And it reclines, spins, and rocks. 

• Loading the player...
  • For S+TMs: 

Any specifics that may differentiate your preferences (height, home size, multiples, etc.): I'm a tall gal who likes neck support - I wound up getting the Poang chair from idea. It's more... bouncy than rocking. It worked for our first. 
    Favorite [glider/rocking chair]: N/A - I honestly didn't like the rocking/ bouncing! 
    Link/picture:  Link to Poang Chair
    Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Sub $200 USD
    What you like about it: Style, bounce v. rocking
    What you don't like about it, if anything: I didn't like the movement to be honest! Like, blanket statement, not a fan of a moving chair. 
    Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nope! 
    Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?:  Here's my possible unpopular opinion/ FFFC ... I think gliders and rocking chairs are pretty aesthetically displeasing and I also don't like my chairs to move back and forth.  They just aren't for me. 
    Additional thoughts on [glider/rocking chair]?: I have a tall wing-back chair that I found myself using a ton with our first that has great back and neck support and will move into baby's room. 

• @heytallmama I’m with you on not wanting a chair with movement. My mom swears that I’ll want a rocking chair but I get motion sickness so easily I’m actually worried about the chair making me sick. 
  • I always preferred my bed or the couch. Never used a glider or rocking chair. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I got a floor model discount glider from BRU when they were still in business for about 1/3 price and can’t imagine having paid more. I didn’t use it in the newborn days at all because I had a sidecar bassinet for bed and used my couch/ottoman downstairs. However, it was useful when baby was in their own room (I think we kicked each baby out around 10ish weeks I think?). 

Funny story, our good friend needed to spend a couple nights when their power was out and DS was just newly in his own space, which at the time was our guest room (nursery was being worked on and painted). I moved the bassinet to my husbands office to get the baby out of the guest room and I had to night nurse in an office chair 🤣. Worst experience ever! So yeah, I like the glider. 

It’s not a must have for everyone, though. But in retrospect I think they are all overpriced and many are pretty ugly. If I still didn’t have ours I would go cheap this time. 
  • mamahoschmamahosch member
    edited November 2022
    Last time I got a glider secondhand from Facebook marketplace and I absolutely h a t e it. Those late nights trying to sleep in it holding a baby going through sleep regressions was impossible and nursing was so uncomfortable. So I’m getting a rocking recliner as a Christmas present this time. Going to look at some at a furniture store next weekend!