1st Trimester

Adderall

I stopped taking adderall when I became pregnant and, at 8 weeks, I am struggling (on top of fatigue and nausea) to focus at work. Has anyone else found a safe alternative? I’ve heard mixed things about continuing with adderall during pregnancy, the safe recommendation of course being to go off it. Is anyone continuing with adderall during pregnancy? Recommendations that helped you cope without?

Re: Adderall

• This is something you need to discuss with your medical team. There may be levels or alternatives that are considered safe. Or it may be that some level of risk in exchange for your mental health is a trade off you need to decide on. I am unfamiliar with the specific risks which is why you need to discuss with your medical team.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I’m also at 8wks, and was told by my GP early on to keep taking my medication because most of the studies were on “women who abused the drug” (so I continued). I just saw the OB yesterday and he told me absolutely not and to stop taking my meds immediately (but baby’s heartbeat was strong and growth was normal).

Even on my medication right now in the 1st trimester, I’m struggling really hard to keep up with my usual day to day or getting motivation to do anything at all right now (among many other mental stressors/obstacles). Having been on the other side of not taking my meds (when I wasn’t pregnant), I know that I will end up doing more unnecessary harm to the kid/myself if I go off. My SIL who’s a labor delivery nurse recommended that I get in touch with an MFM. They’re usually recommended through your OB, but I wanted a 3rd opinion/source that was separate from either of my two doctors. I’m currently waiting to hear back if they’ll even take me on as a patient, but if they do I’m most likely going to drop my current OB. At the time, his only suggestion was to take antidepressants or anxiety meds as a replacement. Which for me in the past, takes too long to feel any affect, and doesn’t affect me in the ways that actually help my ADHD. Even after describing my moods and dysfunctions without, he wouldn’t meet me half way. I’ve cut so much else out of my life in order to have a healthy pregnancy, but my mental health is something I wall always make my #1 priority alongside the baby.

This is not me telling you what you should be doing exactly, but just me sharing my current struggles with the same issue. I personally plan to continue it (under the heavy observation and testing from my medical professionals) until they advise me to scale back my dosage, or that there is a clear sign that I need to quit completely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for sharing :)