October 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Nursery Furniture and Decor

I know that the supply chain issues have been impacting furniture orders, where is everyone having luck ordering from? What kinds of items are you purchasing for baby’s room?

Re: Product Spotlight: Nursery Furniture and Decor

• Options
    We already have a crib from our son so we are just reusing that. We have a matching bookcase/toy storage/changing table that we will use again. 
    My son insists his brother has a green dinosaur room so that is what we are going to do. I'm excited to get started.
  • Options
    We are reusing the crib we used for our other two but we originally got it from buy buy baby. We are getting DD2 a new big girl bedroom set since we’re taking the crib. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kat_vegan87kat_vegan87 member
    edited June 2022
    Kind of on topic, kind of not… 

I set up the whole nursery for DS and he slept in his crib in his own room maybe twice his entire life (he’s now 5)! We ended up bed sharing with him and I absolutely love it. He has been asking to get his own room again so I THINK I am going to set his room up again (his nursery ended up functioning as a guest bedroom, mainly for my mom when she comes over). But I’m stumped on if I should even bother setting up a nursery for DD. I’m thinking if I didn’t feel comfortable with DS being in his room on the same floor in a small apartment, I highly doubt I’d be okay with DD being upstairs at such a young age (after 1 when SIDS risk drops). But then I feel bad that she wouldn’t have her own space. 

On another note, this is what I learned from doing Sammy’s nursery:  

1. I spent zero time in there so I ended up taking the glider out of his room and moved it to the living room. 
    2. Gaming pillows worked wonders for nursing him in the middle of the night!
    3. I got the crib off Craigslist for free and just checked up on the make and model to ensure safety. 
    4. I put NOTHING remotely close to the crib because I was terrified something might fall and hit him/he’d get strangled with something. 
    5. Having a baby monitor was essentially useless because we lived in a small apartment. 
    6. I recently switched from a regular glider to a rocking chair glider- this was life changing! 
  • Options
    Our first was on her room on night one. We lived in a small two bedroom condo at the time with a dog and two cats, all of who would join me during feedings. We still used a monitor even though we were right there. We passed on the glider and just got a rocking recliner. We upgraded this for our third so there was a cup holder. 
    Our second and third were in their own cribs by six weeks. We went in for every feeding and never let them cry. I needed to be separate because my PPA was so bad with my second I basically stopped sleeping and would just watch her sleep to make sure she was okay. 
    I ended up sleeping in the recliner fairly often with all three. I would finish a feeding, put them to bed, and then I would be too tired to walk down the hall and I would just crash in the recliner. It was also easier to get out post c section than my bed. 
    I love kids rooms. It brings me great joy to plan them. I'm much much better with girls rooms than boys but it's fun and I know all the other kids are going to end up hanging out in there as well. I plan on putting a reading/nugget couch in there for them.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Fourth baby, unexpected pregnancy...  the rooms getting all the attention this time are the older kids' rooms, because we're renovating our basement to add space for them! We're drywall mudding currently, so they're busy picking out paint colours and furniture colour schemes. I did take a break from renos to refinish a dresser for baby's clothes, which will be in our huge bedroom for convenience, and we got a hand me down crib too... he'll sleep in our room for the first ~6-8 months, so no rush in getting his room done! With our last, I sidecarred the crib to our bed, and it worked well for night feeds, but to still have a dedicated space for baby's sleep (plus, no transition to a crib from a bassinet, so that was a bonus too!)

Here's the dresser I refinished for baby. Furniture restoration/refinishing is one of my hobbies (only 2 more dressers, 2 desks, 2 beds, and shelving units for the older kids' bedrooms to go 🤦‍♀️🤯)!