2nd Trimester
Options

25 weeks pregnant and have already gained 20lbs

zaharacohen_zaharacohen_ member
edited March 2022 in 2nd Trimester
Needing advice... This is my first pregnancy,  and I’m 25 weeks pregnant with a baby girl. I’ve already gained 20 pounds, but I’m not even showing enough to where “oh it’s just baby weight” sounds suitable like most people have been telling me. When I first became pregnant my OB said I should gain anywhere from 25-35 lbs throughout my entire pregnancy. But now she’s saying I may gain an additional 30lbs by the time I deliver since I have already gained 20lbs. My biggest down fall is sweets, I’ve been craving them like CRAZY since I was about 13 weeks!!! I’m not really hungry, I’ll eat a regular 3 meals a day, but sweets such as cake, cookies etc I want constantly. I know this is a lengthy post, but please give me advice/your experiences on weight gain and ways to ease my cravings for sweets. TIA!

Answers

• Options
    Hey. I hear you on the craving part. I too, had the worst sweet cravings while pregnant with my baby girl. The only way that helped me ease the craving was fruit/yogurt smoothies. Also, surprisingly I ate a lot of sliced apple dipped in PB during night cravings. Btw, you look like you already had a slim body prior to pregnancy so I wouldn’t worry too much about the weight gain. I gained about 27 lbs by week 25 and 35 lbs in total by the end of the pregnancy (week 39), and I lost it 4 weeks postpartum. So don’t worry too much my dear. Our bodies are crazy amazing, it’ll grow however much it needs to support your baby needs even if you only snack once or twice a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just came here to say me too. I am a couple days shy of 25 weeks and I've gained 20 pounds. I was beating myself up and feeling very alone and like a bad mom, and then I saw your post and the other comments and felt better. I've been trying to limit sweets even though I crave them, too, or to make better choices. Like I got natural PB and J instead of processed. My weight fluctuates a lot, too. Like by 5 pounds overnight sometimes. I feel like I just get so hungry 😩 and then I overeat and I gain weight. I feel guilty every time I eat anything at all 🤦‍♀️ anyway, just wanted you to know you are not alone 
  • Options
    You look to be a completely healthy size/weight for 20 weeks! Don’t stress yourself out too much! I promise, everyone is different, and your body knows what it needs, even if that’s an extra 20lbs right off the bat. You’ll lose a bunch of that the day you give birth, and the rest (or most of it) will come off in time- depending on how much you exercise, etc. I am 17 weeks and have maintained my weight, but only because I’m already overweight and gaining too much for me would be a health risk. I’m already showing more now at 17 weeks with my second baby than I did at 38 weeks with my first. Every body, and every pregnancy, is different! :) 
  • Options
    I’m 25 weeks and have also gained about 20 pounds. A lot was during the 1st trimester during the holidays, and I kinda let myself go to town on sweets 😂 I really wasn’t too worried about it since 25-35lb wt gain is appropriate for my BMI. I try to keep my meals/snacks healthy and have slowed down on the sweets, but still indulge every now and then.
  • Options
    I’m in a similar boat. I was 100-103lbs pre-pregnancy and at 19/20 weeks I’m already up to 119lbs. I give in to the occasional sweet craving but for the most part I eat very well and try to move a lot. I don’t have any advice for you, but you’re not alone!! 
  • Options
    If your craving a lot of sweets your body may be telling you it needs more natural sugar like fruits
  • Options
    24 weeks pregnant with twins and I’ve already gained 35 pounds… 
  • Options
    This post made me feel so much better! I am exactly 25wks and have gained around 24lbs (130-135lbs now up to 155lbs) already I've been very hard on myself eating low carb, some what high protein and lots of fruits. Occasionally I give into sweets and cravings but it seemed like I am still gaining quicker than I thought I would by now. Definitely over analyzing my thighs and arms for excessive weight. You look fantastic for 25wks! Your body will hold what it needs to support you and baby and EVERY BODY is different. You've got this mama! 
  • Options
    I'm the same as you, I was about 103 and almost 120 now. I'm 26 weeks. I'm not having many cravings, but steadily gaining weight. 

• Options
    I am 24 weeks and gained 15 pounds.  I started with normal BMI.  This post has been so helpful.  Thank you!
  • Options
    ~20 weeks and have gained AT LEAST 20 lbs. Started out at a “normal” BMI at 5’9”, and technically BMI is still considered normal. Not loving it, but my Mom said that she had the same type of weight gain trajectory, so genetics may be playing a role. During the 1st trimester, it was SO tough to stomach my normal, healthful foods, and going more than a couple hours w/o eating made me feel even more sick. Feeling better now, so just trying to be mindful w/o becoming obsessive. Hoping not to gain >40 lbs altogether!
  • Options
    I'm so glad this forum exists and that other women are also in the same weight gain boat as myself. I'm trying really hard (and honestly failing most of the time) to not focus on the number and to just be healthy. But it is so hard sometimes, especially when surrounded with images of women with very little weight gain at 20weeks. I miss my old body, but I'm trying to learn to love the one I'm in now for the sake of the peanut inside. Here's to hoping we can all do that! 
  • Options
    It's crazy how we beat ourselves up and worry so much about weight.  All of you who posted pictures look phenomenal.  Maybe one day we'll live in a world where we don't equate our value with our weight.  Here's hoping!!!