September 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps and Accessories

2»

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps and Accessories

• What @jhysmath said. I had to pump after delivering my son and got a bunch of Medela parts and it also came with the manual pump which I wasn’t expecting at all. Definitely something worth asking about. 
  • Just popping on to say buying (or registering for) a manual hand pump is a great idea (in addition to the electric pumps). Any time I got a blocked duct, I took the manual pump into a hot shower and it really helped with getting the block out.
  • Loading the player...
  • I just ordered the Spectra S2 with this set: https://aeroflowbreastpumps.com/spectra-s2plus-breast-pump-with-afbp-sydney-breast-pump-backpack-and-free-lactation-workshop
    $30 with insurance :) and I’m going to buy a battery pack when the time comes so it can be mobile.

I read about it and the Elvie Stride. The Elvie is tempting but I think I want reliability over portability. The Elvie’s reviews say it does not produce consistently.
  • @pangolindrome I have the S2 from my last pregnancy and it doesn't take a battery pack (wall outlet only). Does yours say that it does?
    DD 10/2019
  • @trapperkeeper87 you can buy a power bank for it off Amazon. I believe maymom sells them. 
  • pangolindromepangolindrome member
    edited May 2022
    @trapperkeeper87 According to my reading, a lot of people use this battery/power bank with it https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C/
    Quite a few questions and reviews on there say it just plugs right in! :)
  • @pangolindrome Color me corrected! 😄 That's pretty cool! 
    DD 10/2019
  • @trapperkeeper87 I’ll say informed ;D happy to contribute! Apparently there are ones that work for Medela as well.
  • mk2022xmk2022x member
    @pangolindrome I just ordered the same set!
  • Spectra S1 Plus - HANDS DOWN. I breastfed and pumped for 13 months and this is the best pump I ever had. I used Medela Symphony and Elvies and they don’t hold a candle to it. I pumped 2 to 3 times while I was at work and in the car driving to and home from work and would sometimes have to pump before bed and middle of the night and I still only had to charge it once a week. GET THIS PUMP!! 
  • If anyone else got the free Kiinde starter pack (pay for shipping only), have you gotten an update? I didn't even find a confirmation email but I'm sure I ordered it. It's on my PayPal from May 10th.
  • I’m in the same boat @pangolindrome. No shipping updates, but I did get a confirmation email that I had signed up. Early this week  sent me a 20% coupon for my next order as a follow up.  
  • laj0217laj0217 member
    edited May 2022
    @pangolindrome and @maple1422 You can login on kiinde and check order status. Where it says shipped, there’s an option to track your package. 

I think I ordered the same day or close to it. Mine says it is where I live and is being handed off to local delivery company. So, I’m guessing I will get it by Friday. 
  • Anyone willing to PM me or even write something up on here to literally walk me through what I need to breast feed? I'm considering it this time around. I exclusively FF last baby so I have no idea where to even begin. It all seems very overwhelming, but of the course the formula shortage is scaring me. I work outside of the home and will be away from baby for about 10.5 - 11 hours each day, so I'll definitely have to pump while I'm at work if that plays into any advice you may have! 
    edited May 2022
    @whitta1015 I would also like this. I'll tell you what I've learned so far and others can fill in what I'm missing.
    1. I know I've seen advice to still have a pump, like I got the Spectra 2 through insurance on Aeroflow. I like it because of good reviews and it's supposed to be super reliable, and you can buy portable battery banks which it can plug into and which will allow it to be mobile
    2. a hand pump for when you're just really full
    3. nipple packs you can heat or cool
    4. Also, while you feed or pump (if you pump one side at a time), you will want a Ladybug for the other side as it will produce some letdown out of reflex.

I don't know what you needed for FF to keep yourself from getting uncomfortable or so, and I'm a FTM so this is just based on what I have read on here and in articles, but I am apparently approaching this from a Type A, learn-all-I-can point of view, so it should give you a start.
  • @pangolindrome
    mine came in the mail on Monday.
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @jhysmath covers pretty much everything I would have said. Nipple balm (I just used the lanolin the hospital gave me) was critical because I'm so sensitive in every single way and my nipples hurt so much those first couple months. A hand pump was my favorite thing once I gave up on true pumping because it was easy to transport and use wherever I needed it (it also helped me immensely). My Haakaa was relatively useless after about 4 months, but I'm telling you, it was a godsend early on! It got so much extra milk off the other side while my daughter nursed, but still left enough for her to top off.

It's pretty straightforward, but I won't pretend like it's the easiest thing in the world. For me I struggled for about two months before it got easier, but it was absolutely worth it. I didn't read many books - shocking because I read everything I can get my hands on - but the breastfeeding class at my hospital definitely helped prepare me and answer my questions. They also provided additional reading material and free group support classes once a week.
    DD 10/2019
  • whitta1015whitta1015 member
    edited May 2022
    @pangolindrome Thank you! Last time, I just let my milk dry up when it came in....which was extremely uncomfortable for a few days, but it didn't last long. 

@jhysmath Writing all of this down, thank you! And yes, I do hope that the shortage has been straightened out by then. Crazy they let it get this way. I feel so bad for all those mamas out there that can't breastfeed.

@trapperkeeper87 Thank you! I'm definitely going to look into a class at our hospital this time around. 
  • @whitta1015 Great advice from @jhysmath and @trapperkeeper87! Nipple cream was truly a godsend. I bought the earth mama one and it irritated my nipples even more which was awful 🥴 could’ve just been me though. The lansinoh lanolin cream worked wonders though. Despite having a low supply, I would still leak from the other side while breastfeeding so I also liked the lansinoh breast pads. 
  • Apparently my Kiinde package was delivered TODAY! 
  • @pangolindrome mine came in yesterday too! I also ordered the qty. 40 bags for free (with $5) shipping of course. I bet those will come in quickly too.
    edited May 2022
    @wiseh I am copying ALL OF THAT to a Google Doc for future reference! My work is seven minutes away from home, so I especially like the possibility of maybe having June brought to me for feeding. Not sure how it'd work since I am a teacher - I might have to settle for pumping. We'll also see what our girl prefers.

@maple1422 WHAT? I missed those!
    /deleted bits/
  • @pangolindrome I didn't have to select a rebuy frequency, and it wasn't for qty. 160. I clicked the link in the email from Kiinde titled 5 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Starter Pack:
    1. Take advantage of our coupons
    We know that once you experience the ease of the Kiinde system, you won’t want to feed your baby with anything else. Your Starter Pack comes with two valuable coupons:
    • Receive 40 FREE 6 oz. Twist Pouches (a $15.99 value) for even more transfer-free feeding! (Valid for 30 days)

• @maple1422 I guess I should start reading those emails :sweat_smile: You are my hero! I hope June likes Kiinde. I know I am a huge fan already!
  • @wiseh Thank you so much! You're a Godsend!
  • laj0217laj0217 member
    My doctor recommended the medela soothing gel pads for breastfeeding. Anyone tried these?
  • @laj0217 I was given some from a friend and wanted to save them for when I desperately needed them. I never felt like I needed them and didn't use them. My friend claimed they are the only way her nipples survived
  • laj0217laj0217 member
    @jhysmath I’m glad you never got to a point you felt like you needed them! The dr recommended those over any cream. They’re cheap enough I may buy a box to have on hand.