October 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Car Seats

This week's spotlight is all about Car Seats the one thing that pretty much everyone will need. 

Share your experiences/feedback/research. Infant seat? convertible?   

STM+ what did you look for/what did you like/what did you buy? Why?

FTM: ask your car seat questions here.

ALL: feel free to revive this thread as needed

Re: Product Spotlight: Car Seats

• Any city mamas here who don't own a car? 

We only use public transportation, although we sometimes do use ZipCar to get to family who live farther away.  Occasionally we use Uber/Lyft too.  I'm sure my in-laws will get a car seat to use in their car, but otherwise not sure how to choose one correctly since we don't have a regular vehicle.
  • Loading the player...
  • @sandy5693 Yes! City mama here that doesn't drive. We used the CityGo infant car seat by Baby Jogger for DS and have had to use it a few times now for emergency trips. We've found it to be super quick to install on the go and, compared to many carseats out there, not insanely heavy. It clicks right into the baby jogger strollers, which is the main reason we got it. When we had DS we lived at the top of a 3 floor walk-up so we needed a very lightweight stroller that would fold quickly, and Baby Jogger had the best option for that.
  • @krthouse thank you so much!  that is so helpful.  lightweight is KEY as i know i'll be lifting that thing up flights of subway stairs for a few years lol
  • @sandy5693 YUP! I know this isn't the stroller post yet, but since I mentioned it we have the City Mini GT2 by Baby Jogger. The one downside is it does not convert to a double so we need to get a new one for this bub and DS to share. Most that convert to a double are much heavier.
  • @krthouse we have the city mini double! I love it. My kids have about outgrown it and I'm a little sad about selling it for a single. It is much bulkier but it's so smooth. 
  • Are convertible car seats a good idea? I’d like to be one and done with a car seat. Until recently, I didn’t even know that people bought multiple size car seats for one kid. I hate having excess stuff if it can be avoided, so I’m hoping to get just one car seat that will work for various stages of growth.

I have checked out the car seat website mentioned above in this thread. It’s a good resource. But now I’m overwhelmed by the choices.

Also have car seat recommendations changed drastically over the years? I don’t recall being in a car seat starting around age 4. Just wore a seat belt awkwardly. But now it looks like kids are supposed to be in car seats until they’re much older and bigger? Apparently my state requires a car seat until age 8 or a height of 4’9”!
  • @knottiefd80e8984850eb40
    Convertibles can absolutely be used from birth! We did it with our last two. People usually like the convenience of being to take the baby in and out in the car seat but I just baby wore. That was easier than lugging the car seat around for me.  Several companies make a forever car seat that goes from rear facing to high back booster. 
    The rules are much different now. They have made so many improvements over the years. They recommend rear facing until you max out the stats but in some states it mandatory until at least age 2. I have absolutely giant children and mine all rear faced until 3.5-4. My oldest is still in a high back booster. She's 8 and 4 foot 9. (I'm only 5'4")
    It's really not that big of a deal to keep them in. I do recommend watching the installs and having them checked by a professional. Often times the local fire department will have a few to check them out. 
     Personally I love Graco. They are very easy to install properly with latch or seatbelt. That's pretty much all my friends and I buy. We've all tried Chicco and Britax. Target has baby sales with good deals on car seats so keep an eye out. 
  • bows22bows22 member
    edited March 2022
    We have this infant seat (ish - it’s the same name but it’s been 5 years so it’s probably slightly different)

https://www.target.com/p/graco-snugride-snugfit-35-dlx-infant-car-seat-featuring-safety-surround-jacks/-/A-80179062

Luckily it expires December 2023 so we will be able to use it for as long as we need to with this baby!

I like it. I like having an infant seat for those times when you are just running in somewhere like to pick up a prescription etc so you don’t have to unstrap the baby. And then if you need your hands for something you can just sit the car seat down for a second. It’s just so much more convenient while you are figuring out how to adjust to having a human to juggle at all times. Babies aren’t supposed to spend too much time in the infant seat when they aren’t in the car (I didn’t know this with my first and would let her sleep in it when we got home from somewhere which is not safe) but for quick errands it’s fine, especially if they are awake. I also liked in the winter being able to get her strapped in, blanket over her, etc before going outside and then just snap the infant seat into the base and be on your way. 

That being said everyone’s situation is different so if these things wouldn’t be benefits for you a convertible seat is perfectly fine to start out with. I’d recommend doing a little research if you go that route because some convertible seats don’t fit brand new babies well. 

For our convertible seat we have the Britax Clicktight Advocate which is an amazing seat but if anything ever happens to DH and I need to wash the cover I’d just have to buy a new one because I’d have no clue how to put it back on. I would definitely get one where the cover comes off in one big piece if I had it to do over again. 
  • Thank you for the in depth response! I’ll definitely keep an eye out for sales at Target since I’m always there.
  • I found a traveling system super helpful for the first year. We got the Bravo system that has the Chico keyfit 30 infant car seat. So awesome to just click it in and out of the car and fit it straight on the stroller. We still use the stroller for my 15 month old, but we’ve switched to the Graco extend-2-fit car seat. I love it so much we bought 2, one for each car! 
  • I used the Chicco Keyfit 30 for both my girls as babies and used the Keyfit Caddy click-in frame stroller all the time, especially for airports and travel. 
    Now that they’re older, both girls are in Graco 4Ever seats, which we love. 
  • Went back to this thread because the husband and I will both be strapping 3 across the back in our respective vehicles and have been looking into narrow car seats. I see @krysnicole1022 didn’t love installing a Diono, but the forums for the SUV I’m getting pretty much swear up and down that Diono is the way to go. Anyone else have experience with it? They’re only 17” across, which is amazing for back middle seats, and my 4.5 year old was totally comfortable in it. 
  • bows22bows22 member
    @EmilyE13 car seats for the littles is generally anti-diono, I think mostly they say that the harness limits are overstated, like somehow they make you think it will last a long time but the kid will outgrow it by like shoulder height or something before you are ready for them to be in a booster. 
  • If you can install it easily then go for it @EmilyE13 ! I have a Subaru outback (for now 😭😭 have to upgrade it) and we had two Graco slimfits (one forward facing and one rear facing) and an infant carrier. We ended up using an extend to fit once my oldest switched to a high back booster (Maxi Cosi rodifix) for my youngest because he is a beast. It sits much higher up so it actually worked just fine. Currently we have two forward facing slimfits and the high back booster. I personally just don't like how difficult it is to install. Not only are they expensive but you have to buy optional accessories and it was a big pain. My friend ditched hers after a year because she hated having to clean it. That being said if you have limited options you'll make it work.  Also what @bows22 said. My children are GIANT and they are still easily within harness height for their car seats. 
  • The Diono* is difficult. I never felt good about my install. My gracos are rock solid and have been checked by professionals. It's so easy. 
  • We have a Diono for our 4 year old. Just got a new vehicle over the weekend and it was a pain to reinstall. A lot of starting over because it just didn’t feel right. I refuse to move it unless completely necessary. That said, I do like how narrow it is, but now being on the car seat for littles page, I think we’ll go a different way when it’s time for another 3 across seat. There are more options out there as long as you’re looking at more updated information.
  • mia80mia80 member
    @EmilyE13 we have a Diono Radian in my husband's truck, and a Graco Extend to Fit in my car. Personally I find the Diono easier to get my son in and out of, and it seems a little comfier for him. My husband installed it, so I couldn't tell you how difficult that part is, but we don't ever move our seats, so that's not a big issue for us!
  • 59% of all car seats are installed incorrectly. I recommend finding a certified CPST (often at fire stations and police stations) check your installation. 
     I personally couldn't keep a car seat that I can't install correctly and confidently. I can install Britax, Chicco, Evenflo, and Graco in a breeze. Now it's possible that my car is just not compatible with the Diono. I've always had mine checked after the first time I install them. That's my bigger issue. If I'm not confident in my installation and I can't do it myself then I can't keep it.