Baby Names

Emily or lily?

So basically I’m having a girl and I never thought choosing a name would be this hard I love the name lily I just think it’s so classic timeless and beautiful and has never been mega popular so you can’t tie it to a certain time. Unfortunately my husband likes the name Emily, I was born in 1986 when Emily “fad” was starting to happen i remember being a teenager thinking it was a really pretty and unique name I’d never really heard it before. The thing that puts me off is when I was a teenager in the early 2000s it was the kind of on trend name to give to your baby I remember when my college friend had a baby who was born at the height of the Emily popularity and she loved the name Emily because it was the “trendy name” to give your baby at the time. It was number 1 from 2000-2007, I looked up it’s popularity and it’s already dropping, But he thinks the name is pretty🙂so I’m abit lost on what I should do, to me lily has never been mega popular for specific years so it ages better (I used to have a 90 year old neighbour called lily which makes me like it even more). I do like the sound of Emily but like a lot of names it’s mega popularity in specific years has made it sound dated. What name does everyone like best?

Re: Emily or lily?

• I think either is fine. You may also consider something like Emilia, nickname Lily
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I like both but prefer Lily for similar reasons to you. Although I don't think Emily ever felt too popular, the variations like Emmeline, Emma, Emilia, Emerson mean there are tons of Emmies out there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I love Emily!
  • I’m Emily and it was the #1 name for 18 years. But it has since dropped out of the top 10. Obviously I’m partial but I think it’s timeless. I like the suggestion to do Emilia, nn Lily. 
  • Emily is absolutely timeless and classic. Lily is not as popular as Emily but I do feel like there is a greater chance of being one of many Lilys in a class. The social security administration will release their baby name rankings around mother's day 2022 for anyone who is interested in that kind of stuff. 
  • I really like Lily. It’s a perfect name for a girl. If you decide to side with Emily, I agree with other users that a variation like Emma or Emilia would be better. Emily is common and over used. 
  • @southernroze Emma is actually much more popular than Emily right now. 

• We can credit Friends for the popularity of Emma. 
  •  paytonpedro said:
    @southernroze Emma is actually much more popular than Emily right now. 

I didn’t come up with the list, I was quoting someone else’s suggestion. 
  • Emily is common and over used. 
    You’re the only one who stated this opinion and that’s what I was responding to. Emily is actually quickly dropping in popularity, while Emma has risen and basically taken its place. 
  • edited March 2022

Emma and Olivia have been extremely popular the last 3 years. Emily was more popular in the late 80s and 90s. 

@jenlane123 I think if you like the name Emily you should go for it. I love the name and if DD’s dad didn’t veto it that would be her name 
  • @southernroze I’m hardly causing great trouble or suffering… that’s wildly dramatic… and also the name calling isn’t really appropriate or necessary when not one person here has been mean to you. I simply pointed out that Emily is less popular than Emma like you had said (not one person said these were your suggestions, we can all read) and you lost your marbles. 
    It’s ok, my 6yo was also having a hard time controlling his emotions today as well. Might I suggest a warm bubble bath and a cup of hot tea to calm your self? 
  • @jenlane123 I personally love the names Lily and Emily. As a teacher, I've seen the name Emma surge in popularity in recent years. I have a couple of students named Emma, as well as 3 friends who have daughters named Emma. They're all lovely names, but I think Emily is a classic. 

@southernroze no need for name-calling. You called someone a scourge and a bunch of people idiots. That's real nice. Way to be a bully on the internet. 👎🏻 
  • @southernroze I’m extremely confident you’re suffering from something called exaggeration. Especially if you meant the second meaning. Also I’m quite efficient at reading and spelling, so I won’t be called an “idiot” from somebody who spells rose with a z. 💁🏻‍♀️
  • Hahaha zing ⬆️
  • I don't think you can go wrong with either, but agree that Lily seems more timeless 
  • hazelmaus said:
    I don't think you can go wrong with either, but agree that Lily seems more timeless 
    Also really like the suggestion of Emilia with the nickname Lily, but I may be partial to that name :)