July 2022 Moms

Placenta Accreta

I was just told that I have placenta accreta , this means the placenta is growing into my uterus .
So I will have to have a planned c-section, 7% chance of not making it due to blood loss , must have to have the baby early , might have to spend a few nights in the ICU due to blood loss and will 100% have to get a hysterectomy 😞. Has anyone ever had this condition? If so is there ever any cases that end with you or someone you know not having to get a hysterectomy? I’m so scared . Also I’m afraid of not feeling like a woman anymore after a hysterectomy and not being able not only to not have kids but a monthly visit either.

Re: Placenta Accreta

• I have not had this. BUT I just want to say, I'm sorry you are going through something so scary. You are a woman, uterus or no uterus. And although you may not be able to have more children the way you envisioned, that does not mean growing your family has to be over. There are lots of wonderful ways to have more children even if you cannot physically. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Oh Hun, I am so sorry you are going through this. It's super scary.

*TW loss mentioned*

I did have this but not for the pregnancy I made it full term with and to preface - I don't think this was the reason I lost the baby (baby's growth had just slowed and then it's heart stopped). After I lost my IVF baby at 10 weeks, the doctor had found some "masses" in my uterus so I had to go for a hysteroscopy (which thanks to COVID I wasn't able to get done for almost 6 months after). In the hysteroscopy, they discovered that I had leftover tissue from the loss and that's when they confirmed that I had placenta accreta and as horrible as it sounds I thank God to this day that I wasn't able to carry to term because I had to be on blood thinners due to a clotting disorder and my chances of bleeding out in birth were already higher being on blood thinners.

*TW over*

On the not feeling like a woman part - I totally understand that feeling. Being someone that has struggled conceiving, losing 7 babies at all different stages, and not being able safely carry my own child, it is hard to feel like a woman when the one job you are biologically created to be able to do is something that you are no longer able to do. A uterus does not make a woman though. You are more than your biology and you will always be a beautiful woman and mother - uterus or no uterus. You will still be able to have kids too if you want more - maybe not the way you envisioned but there is adoption and surrogacy still (whether it be traditional or gestational - I don't know if it would be possible for them to harvest eggs should you have to get a hysterectomy but that could be a question for the doctor). I am so thankful that your doctor has found this now though and that they are able to prepare and be proactive for both your sake and your baby's sake.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs to you. A good friend had this but unfortunately it wasn’t diagnosed until PP and she didn’t realize  the extend of the problem until 1-2 months after having the baby and struggling to make enough breastmilk. They knew something was up after baby was delivered but thought they got everything.  They finally did labs and they looked like she was still pregnant which is how they figured it out. She did end up having to have a hysterectomy 😔