2nd Trimester
Options

Sharing the Baby Prep To-Do List

Feeling like I have a big baby prep to-do list (planning baby shower, creating registry, making doctors appointments, callig daycare locations, etc).

Any tips on how to best split some tasks with my husband, so that he can share some of the burden? What are things that soon to be dads can help with as we prepare for the baby?

Re: Sharing the Baby Prep To-Do List

• Options
    Drop planning the baby shower. Who ever is throwing it for you should have full control, with some input from you. That should not be your worry. And put your partner to work investigating baby products or daycare options. It seems overwhelming, but by and large babies don’t need much in the beginning.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Agree with meggyme!
    you should not be planning your own baby shower. If no one offers to throw you one, then unfortunately etiquette says you don’t get one. (It’s tacky to throw your own gift-giving event)
    I worked on my registry a little bit at a time so it wasn’t too overwhelming.
    you should be able to make your doctors appts in advance in one go. Also, you shouldn’t need that many unless you’re high risk? 
    Calling daycares can be frustrating. I would definitely say that’s something your H can do. I would make up a list of questions y’all both want answered and have him call or fill out the contact forms.
    my h didn’t do much of anything in prep for the baby except help put together furniture. But I also worked less hours than him and he was going to school.
    you can have your h help you pick out nursery stuff (& put it together!) & give him the registry info so he can add stuff when he has time.
    im an adult and the appts were for me so I made them to fit my schedule.  
    And my MIL/SIL threw our shower. 
    Also, kind of odd that you call all of those things a “burden”… sure, some of it isn’t fun. But it’s all to prepare for your baby so I always thought it was exciting to be able to do those things finally. A lot of people would kill to be in your shoes, even with all of that “burden”. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited March 2022
    QFP:
    Feeling like I have a big baby prep to-do list (planning baby shower, creating registry, making doctors appointments, callig daycare locations, etc).

Any tips on how to best split some tasks with my husband, so that he can share some of the burden? What are things that soon to be dads can help with as we prepare for the baby?

"BURDEN," REALLY?  I find that a very interesting term to use.  Be thankful ylthat you have this opportunity! As a secondary infertility (I was able to miraculously have 1 kiddo before endometriosis forced a hysterectomy at 30), I can not imagine those unable to have kids the heartache as they are unable to plan your "burdens."

Scrap the baby shower. 

Go with your husband to pick out the most essential items for the 1st few months: clothing, bathing items, a bouncy seat (or similar), car seat, stroller,, burp cloths, crib and halo for night blankets.    That is about all you need.  Get things as they are needed. 

I agree have questions written out for day care so your husband can inquire.

Same with pediatrician- schedule a meeting and greet appointment.