May 2022 Moms

Repeat C-Section/VBAC thread

If you previously had a c-section, what are you thinking this time around? If you've had a repeat c-section, was your recovery easier the second time around? If you've had a vbac, how did you come to that decision? 

Let's chat about it all!

Re: Repeat C-Section/VBAC thread

• I was induced two days after my due date because I had pre-eclampsia. I progressed nicely but that’s kinda when things stopped going in my favor. I was pushing for over 2.5 hours and started getting sick. DD was just in an odd enough position along with a head in the >99 percentile that she just wasn’t going anywhere. She also had her first poop too by then so opted to do a c-section before things got worse. I think ultimately I will do a RCS especially if this baby is bigger but part of me wants to try for a VBAC to see if I can do it. As I mentioned on a previous post I didn’t have a strict birth plan and just wanted a healthy baby but I never really thought I would have a c section so it kind of messed with me emotionally. I think I will be better prepared regardless but would love to hear from others who’ve done a RCS or VBAC.
  • With my first I hoped for a unmedicated natural birth,  After being in labor for 2 full days I ended up with an emergency C-section.  My second I had a successful, induced VBAC.  I am hoping for a VBAC again and will probably be induced at 39 weeks if this pregnancy goes like the last one.  My first was 9lb 4 oz at 41 weeks and my second at 39 weeks was 8 lb 2 oz.   For me the VBAC recovery was a walk in the park compared to my 2 day labor plus emergency Csection. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm excited this thread was created! 

For my first, I was induced at 41 weeks, progressed all the way, and then pushed for two hours when my baby apparently titled his head and got stuck. So after 28 hours, we did a C-section. 

I really want to go for a VBAC, mainly because I do not want the recovery I had last time and I'd like to have a total of 3-4 kids. I know c-sections can get trickier when you've had multiple.

My doctor said he feels CS is the safest option but is fully supportive of VBAC. He said recovery of successful VBAC would be easiest, but also that a planned CS is obviously much better than one after trying for a VBAC and then ending in a CS. He compared it to a running a marathon before surgery (which it did feel like!). 

@third2022 That's so awesome you had a successful VBAC. Is there anything you look back on that you feel like helped you in the process? I know there's only so much we can really control, just curious!
  • I’m interested to hear everyone’s thoughts and experiences too. My first birth was vaginal, and an early induction due to pre-e at the very end, she had shoulder dystocia and was stuck for a hot minute but everything came out fine(no pun intended😂). She was 8.5 @ birth. 
    Second birth we had planned to also do vaginal but I developed GD also towards the very end and he was measuring on the large end on every scan. Also bc DD had gotten stuck at the size she was and this baby was looking well over a pound bigger, we ended up with a planned c-section and everything went perfectly - zero issues. He was 9.14 @ birth. 
    This time around we have previously spoken with OB about the options but are leaving it open. He’s supportive of VBAC but we will just be watching all the things since I’m older, there’s a higher risk of oligohydramnios, and because of my past cancers I also have an asshat cervix and have had IC with every pregnancy. 
    So I’ve done it both ways and had pretty smooth and uneventful deliveries and recoveries both times for the most part - but I’m nervous to try VBAC and am interested to hear from others!   

• So glad this board was created. I had a c-section after laboring with my first and it was rough. I know a scheduled c section would likely be a whole different story. I have talked to my OB and she’s very supporting of whatever I decide and we are just leaning all options open and will see how everything goes when the time is actually here. I’m thankful it’s not something I have to decide now. 
  • Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! I feel like I relate to a lot of you.

I ended up having a c-section after pushing for over 4 hours (although my labor was pretty short overall - I started having contractions at 11am and was pushing by 1pm). My 'birth plan' was just to be flexible..lol and I think I was! I went through the full gamut of birthing experiences - we prepared for a home birth, transferred to the hospital after pushing for 3 hours, pushed for another hour attempting vacuum and forceps assist, before finally moving to a c-section. My water had broken the nigh before and the working theory was that DS either got stuck in a bad position from that and/or he just didn't fit (really big head, 8lbs 3oz, very long).The recovery from labouring so hard plus surgery was pretty brutal - for me and babe. DS had a hematoma from the vacuum and ended up with jaundice - it was a lot. Like @addsprinkles521 I tried not to put a lot of weight on the birth going any one way so I was surprised at how emotional I was about having a c-section.

I'm pretty certain I'll be having a repeat c-section. I had a postpartum consult with my ob and she recommended that, and I have another consult with her in January since now I"m actually in the position of making that decision. My midwives are great, and they kind of talked me through what an attempted VBAC would look like - they wouldn't let me push for more than an hour, we'd need to see a lot of movement really quickly, the ob would be in the room and ready to go. I appreciate that they are supportive and just making sure I make an informed decision.

My friend just had her second c-section last week and she said the recovery has been WAY easier this time around. It's making me feel more sure about going that route. 
  • @coffeemamaaaaa With my VBAC I was induced a week early because my first was a C-section due to size/fit issue - she was 9.4lbs and I'm fairly petite 5'1".....I stayed very active though the pregnancy and waited to get the epidural until I was fully in active labor.  I did a lot of the spinning babies stretches/exercises through my 3rd trimester which is supposed to help with positioning.  Because I had labored the first time, my labor went very smoothly.  The midwives let me  'labor down' for a while at 10 cm and we let the epidural start to wear off a little so I felt enough pressure but not horrible to push and she was out in 30 minutes or so.  My whole labor was ~14 hours.  My second was 8.2.  The recovery was so much easier from the VBAC.  We went home 24 hours later and I was walking my 1st to preschool a mile away a few days later.

I'm hoping for a similar exeperience this time.  I'm hoping they can induce me early and that I can ride out the early labor without an epidural for as long as possible so that it will progress quickly again.
  • I really want a VBAC. I have had 2 previous c-sections, and my doctor is really pushing for a repeat. I'm not too keen on that, since recovery with the last one was long and painful. She said it would be possible for an attempted VBAC as long as all the other doctors in the practice were on board with it. If it comes down to it, and we at least gave it a shot, I'm okay with another c-section. As long as it gets me healthy take-home baby, I'll be happy. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • My son was considered an emergency C section after 15 hours of labor and 3 hours of active pushing his heart rate was dipping with contractions he was stuck, sunny side up and his little noggin was really swelling. He was 7.13z That recovery was amazing from the get go. 

My daughter was an early delivery at 37+3 due to pre-eclampsia …she was 6.13 while in the hospital I was in a lot of pain moving around but once I got home I was fine the belly band was a LIFE SAVER. 

This time around my OB said it’s not even a conversation it will be a repeat C section at 39 weeks. And we are ok with that there’s a part of me that wishes one of these little ones could be a VBAC but at the same time I’m not one to mess with a sure thing. Because my son got stuck it was my birth canal that was too small for him we won’t mess with it. And that is how I got to be team green this time around so I’m picking my wins. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Hey all! I was just returning to this thread now that we are mostly in the third trimester and getting closer. How's everyone feeling about this? Has anyone made any new decisions?
  • I haven’t made a final decision but am still leaning towards a RSC. It still crosses my mind quite frequently if I should attempt a VBAC or not so will def need to talk to my OB as it gets closer. We haven’t talked about it since one of my early appointments where she said I would be a candidate to try a VBAC since I progressed nicely and no medical complications but that RSC would be the safer (think safer in terms of going through labor and pushing again and ending up needing the surgery anyways) option. 
  • I've been back and forth a lot and had a really great discussion with my midwife about it at our last appointment. I had a consult with the OB who once again stated her rec that I have an RCS. I also found out after the anatomy scan that I have a marginal cord insertion on my placenta which kind of tipped the scales for me in terms of possible contraindications. 

Basically looking at the whole picture, I do not want the negative outcomes for my baby that happened last time (giant wound from where he was stuck on my pelvis, hematoma from attempting vacuum assist, jaundice as a result of those injuries, 5 days in the hospital - which are especially undesirable with covid being a thing and having a toddler I need to be with as well). So while they did assure me that a trial of vbac would not get that far, she completely understands and agrees with my decision to have a repeat c-section. From what I understand the recovery will be way easier, the vibe will be way calmer, we can still do the microbiome seeding if that is a thing we want to do, and I won't have to get a spinal tap while going through contractions. 
  • I’m having a repeat c-section with no second thoughts. My hospital doesn’t offer VBACs anyway. 

My cervix never dilated last time. I was induced at 41w because baby was getting very big (born 10lbs 10oz) and I was showing no signs of labor. I labored on Pitocin from Monday night to Wednesday morning when my water broke. Finally they convinced me to do an epidural to see if it helped move things along. It didn’t. I had a c-section Wednesday night. It was so great to have it over. I was young so recovery was not bad at all, of course I didn’t have a newborn to take care of (DS was placed for adoption) so I was able to rest and recover physically very quickly. 

It’s highly unlikely that my cervix will cooperate this time around so a VBAC is pretty much off the table anyway. I’m not interested in laboring for three days again. I’m looking forward to going in for a planned c-section and having a baby without all the stress of labor like last time. Plus, DH and I can (kinda) pick a birthdate (due date is 5/24). We are scheduling the c-section at my next OB visit. So close!!!
  • @taylorharris0522 I have never heard of a hospital not allowing any at all (under certain circumstances sure but not across the board) but glad you want a RCS anyways so it doesn’t matter. Laboring for 3 days seems rough I was done after my 2 (also had to be induced because of pre eclampsia and no where near giving birth - less than 1cm dilated). That’s exciting that you pick a date soon, makes it seem like the end is near!
  • @taylorharris0522 I'm also looking forward to not having the double recovery of labor and c-section this time, and from what Ive heard planned csections are sooooo much different and easier to recover from than unplanned ones.
  • I had a C-section with my first and a successfully induced vbac with my second.  Planning for another vbac this time too.  
  • @third2022 how was your recovery from your c-section vs your VBAC?  I’m hoping for a VBAC this time but getting nervous the closer we get to May!
  • @laketide
    I'm going for a VBAC too and am also nervous. I keep hearing people say planned c-section recovery is much, much better than unplanned c-section after trial of labor. I'm trying to make peace that there will only be so much under my control, but if everything seems to be in my favor (baby's positioning and spontaneous labor, doctor's continued support, etc), then I am planning on going for it. 
  • I want to rant for a second: I’ve been getting so much judgement (not from y’all, love you) about “net even trying” for a VBAC. Like. This is my choice. And it’s a very intimate choice. My cervix doesn’t work properly, I couldn’t have a “normal” birth no matter how many times I try. And that’s NOT information I need to share with you, great-aunt-whoever-twice-removed. Telling me stories about how so-n-so went through labor without any medicine and blah-blah-blah won’t convince my cervix to dilate when it needs to. My mom actually had the same issue and had three c-sections because of it. My aunt had one as well. The women on that side of my family just have a stubborn cervix gene. And that’s none of your business. 😠
  • @taylorharris0522 love it when people judge others for what’s best for them + their baby. All that matters is he gets here safely, who cares how he gets here, random relative?!! 
  • @taylorharris0522 that’s super frustrating. I talked to my doctor about VBAC vs RCS at my appt this week and she said personally unless I really really wanted to do a VBAC that she would recommend me to do the RCS and I dilated just fine after being induced. Hopefully you don’t have too many run ins with people who press that opinion on you. I’ve been lucky that the people around me (at least to my face) haven’t said anything negative about c sections or going in for another one this time around but I am always anxious when new people ask since people can have strong feelings about birthing plans. I think that’s why needing one the first time around took more of a mental toll on me than it should have as not only did I feel like I couldn’t do something that most women can but also what others would think when they found out I had a c-section.
  • @taylorharris0522 I’m sorry people are being that way!  That’s so unnecessary and no one’s business. 
  • @taylorharris0522 People these days! I'm sorry! I think you are making a great choice & I am totally cheering you on. I have been getting tons of push back for wanting to try for a VBAC so I just feel like you can't please anyone these days. Boooo everyone sharing their opinion when it's so unhelpful, but this community definitely supports you! 
  • @taylorharris0522 I’m sorry people are pushing  their opinions on you!  You know this, but the only people’s opinions that matter are yours and your healthcare providers. ☺️

When I was super early in my pregnancy, like 4-6 weeks, I had to get frequent scans and bloodwork done. Every nurse and x-ray tech would ask if I was going to try for a VBAC.  I was like, can we at least make sure this little bean has a heartbeat before we make a birth plan!  Geesh! 

• My first was a c section because she was transverse. I’ve thought about a VBAC but I’ve never felt any labor pain or contractions with my first, I went straight into a c section at 39 weeks. With my second I’m going to have a c section because I fear labor pains and I fear that I might end up in an emergency c section because I’ve never tried to give birth naturally.
  • I’m really hoping for a VBAC just because I hear the recovery is so much smoother. C-section recovery was hard on me when the only one I had to take care of was my son. Now he’s a year and a half and I’ll have the little one. I’m so nervous about having to face a c section recovery with two kids. 
  • My RCS is scheduled!!!!! Baby will be here May 17th, barring any complications between now and then. Yay!!!
  • @taylorharris0522 yay for an eviction date, the countdown begins! Can’t believe it’s almost May already!