May 2022 Moms

Nursery Thread!

Re: Nursery Thread!

• @laketide Riley is a boy. 

Thanks for the input everyone! I think we are going to size down the block and go with that, but we’re still debating. 
  • @taylorharris0522 I feel like it depends on other decor elements! I lean toward script. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @tacosandtums LURRRRVE that!!!

• @tacosandtums You’ve inspired me to go to goodwill tomorrow! Maybe your luck will rub off on me. Our crib is supposed to be delivered this afternoon so our whole nursery should be done this week! Still gotta clean out the closet though.

Does anybody (Looking at you @nikkimc8 lol) have any favorite organization YouTubers or bloggers so I can get some ideas for getting the nursery closet set up well? I’ve never been good at organization. 
  • @taylorharris0522 no advice on bloggers, but we kept it pretty simple. We bought size dividers on Etsy, and just hung them on the rods. DD's closet was quite small (about as wide as a standard door) but it does have 2 clothes rods, so we kept her current sizes down on the bottom and her larger sizes (and now the stuff she's kinda outgrown) on the top. 

We keep everything else in her dresser, so it works for us. We had a drawer for hair stuff & socks (still do), and then a drawer for medicine (which has no obviously been moved to where she can't reach and now holds underwear). I do have a big basket in her closet that I shove random stuff (gloves, hats, etc) in.
  • @taylorharris0522
    for the dresser drawers get little bins at target and categorize top drawers. Then make each drawer under each it’s own: Jammie’s, onesies, pants, blankets, etc. 

i tend to keep the closet simple so it’s not overwhelming. 

• @tacosandtums with you here! But waiting for our registry discount to kick in at the end of March to even order the crib 😆
  • @tacosandtums our bassinet is still in the box. Our crib is in the garage. We have no mattress or dresser. This fourth kid, man. Everything is gonna be last minute 😂😂 I made DH bring the car seat inside today because it desperately needs to be washed and I know it never will be done in time if we don’t do it soon lol. I have no doubt that everyone here will get what they need done, except for maybe me 😅
  • @tacosandtums same here LOL! All the things have been “collecting” in the room, just no real rhyme or reason yet. 

• I'll join in on the "definitely not ready" party 😂 since BB is getting the nursery, we don't have to do anything. But. DD needs to move into her room in 1 month so that she has plenty of time to adjust before BB gets here. All we've done is paint. (DH finished this weekend, and the color looks great!!🙌). And oopsie, there's a shit ton of paint that leaked through the drop cloth on to the carpet 🙈 

@b_1029 yeah we're waiting on the discount so we can order DDs new monitor and Hatch 😂 but she won't even have a bed until May because it's on backorder. At least her new mattress is here? And the dresser arrives in 2 weeks?
  • Yeah I need my husband to build DS a new wardrobe so we can move his dresser (which doubles as a change table) into our room. I also need a new bedside table or shelf so the bassinet can fit next to my side of the bed. Gotta fill up the little dresser with newborn stuff (so excited to start moving boxes out of the basement for that!) And we have no car seat yet or anything like that. But they will eventually share a room, so really not much to do in there. Just gotta get our room ready for baby again. 
  • @And846 I need your organization in my life! I hadn't even considered getting bins for the dresser! The most I've done is place baskets on top of our closet, which one is currently holding the ever-growing pile of baby blankets being gifted to us lol. I'm hoping to get a cube organizer for the closet to stash over-flow/next size items. We live in a trailer so space is VERY LIMITED and I know I'm gonna have a hard time finding everything a "home."
  • @sph97 we’ve made it work in limited space and it’s hard! These kinds of drawers are amazing though for tight spaces to keep the next size clothing/blankets and burp cloths/diapers etc. I basically use these to organize everything under age 2 lol. Places like Walmart tend to have a wide variety of styles and sizes too, and they’re budget friendly! We’ll be using at least one similar one while LO is in our room for the first few months, instead of investing in a dresser right now.

• @tacosandtums yours looks great compared to ours!  We have just started cleaning the extra room out this weekend and realizing that’s a bigger project than we anticipated!
  • I love bins for drawers - we use the ones from ikea. I also roll most items rather than fold them, which saves so much time and I can actually see everything. And sometimes I just chuck the clean laundry in its appropriate bin/drawer 😊 no rolling or folding. Because toddlers WILL pull everything out of those drawers.
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited February 2022
    @sph97 not sure if you live near an IKEA or not / how much they ship (I know you can’t ship furniture) but I got stuff like this for DD’s dresser and like it. Don’t need them as much now that she’s older, but they’re great for all the tiny odds and ends that come with babies. They have a lot of good small space storage solutions too. 

ETA @j@jandawg totally missed your post above mine. Oops! But yes to ikea 😆

• annashafannashaf member
    edited February 2022
    @b_1029 @sph97 we have at least one set of the IKEA Skubb scattered around the older girls’ rooms and I have it on my list for baby too. They’re great, inexpensive and I love how they collapse for easy storage if do don’t have a current use for them. Also use dollar store basket things for the girls’ bathroom stuff / hair stuff. A little sturdier as they’re always tossing those ones around rather than the baskets that get wedged and stay in the drawers/closet.
  • @b_1029 ooo great share! We're going to Ikea this week or next to get wall shelves and book shelves and now I will be purchasing these bins. 

• We decided to put a shoe organizer on the door for pants, hats, socks, and hair accessories in DD's room after she was born and plan to do that with DS too. Now that she's 2, she can see what pants and socks are clean and pick them out herself. She's only taken things out without a good reason once. It was also a quick way for us to grab pants after a blow out when she was little.
  • Love FB marketplace @tacosandtums!
  • Babe is going to be in our room for a bit so we have the corner set up for when babe is here. Just need to get the dresser/changer  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• So DH and I got the crib in this weekend. The crib we had picked out was out of stock... we rushed through looking for a similar crib at a similar price... We accidentally ordered a mini crib. :| I like it okay, It fits in the room really well. But. Will it be big enough as he grows? It converts to a toddler bed and a twin size bed, but will it be big enough while he still needs a crib? (The cat tree will be replaced by a glider soon. It's not permanent nursery decor.)

• @taylorharris0522 not sure on the mini crib size as he gets older but just wanted to say I love your cat in the corner like wtf do you want?? 
  • sph97sph97 member
    @taylorharris0522 we have a mini crib too, because our nursery space is *tiny* lol. I have a friend that used one and said her baby slept in hers until almost 2, but it really depends on how big/long baby gets I guess. I think my weight limit for my crib is 45lbs, so for sure should be able to use for the first year!
  • @sph97 @taylorharris0522 I imagine it’ll be just fine! If the weight limit is 45#, my 4 year old hasn’t even breached 40# yet. What’s the length? Also, if you have a registry with crib bedding on it, you may wish to update it or send a note to friends and family so you don’t get gifted bedding you can’t use. Just a thought!
  • sph97sph97 member
    @annashaf I believe it’s 39’’ so ~3 feet long! & yes to your suggestion, I added my own sheets and a note in my registry explaining we are using a mini crib and have that specific size. They were bought so I’m glad to have the correct size sheets lol. I do recommend stating you need a special size on your registry so people don’t assume and buy you regular crib sheets, but if so returns are easy and you can switch them out! @taylorharris0522
  • Fwiw DS measured 36" tall at 24 months, but we had converted his crib to a toddler bed at around 18 months. I imagine it will more so depend on if your kiddo is trying to escape/is tall?
  • @nikkimc it looks amazing!!

• @nikkimc it looks amazing!!

• @nikkimc8 that nursery is beautiful!!!
  • This is baby #5. He is our first boy. He will be rooming in with us untilmwe move when hes like 2 months old.
    I haven't even started on what our plans are lol
  • Is this vent too close to the crib? Should I put something between the crib and vent to prevent a draft? I didn’t realize it would be blowing right at the crib until I was working in there today with the house’s AC on. I’m pretty limited as to where the crib can go but I’m sure I could redirect the air flow if needed.  
  • @taylorharris0522 this is a dumb question but can you just change the direction the blades go? Like to make it go straight up or something? 
  • @b_1029 I tried but it still puts a lot of air right through the crib slats. And it’s worse facing the wall because it just banks off and goes back into the crib. I found a Pinterest project I’m going to work on today to make a cover that’ll redirect the air along the floor. I’ll share when I’m done!