May 2022 Moms

Nursery Thread!

b_1029b_1029 member
edited January 2022 in May 2022 Moms
The fun stuff! If you’re setting up a nursery / space for baby, let’s see it! (Or if you need ideas, post those ?’s here too!) 

Re: Nursery Thread!

• So far… We repainted that bedroom(part of the cleaning/staging process for when we move anyway), got the crib from storage, and cleared out most of the dresser. I got a rocker and a rug in too that need to be put in there. I have major guilt about making my other 2 kids share a room temporarily before we move/build. But they were already sleeping in the same room in bunk beds before this by their own choice so I guess I need to just let it go. They are only 20 months apart and they always want to be together so I’m holding onto that as long as it lasts. We won’t even really use the nursery for first few months anyway for sleeping, but I did want to have it set up out of habit since that’s what I did with my others. 

• We haven’t actually done anything yet, but I ordered a chair and a dresser this past week that will be here by the end of the month! I’ll wait to order a crib until the Amazon registry discount kicks in in March. We also need to paint the room and I have no idea how to do it 😆 we are the least handy people
  • Loading the player...
  • We've painted the room (sage green) and we have all the big furniture (dresser, crib, glider) which we'll put together this weekend. After we have all of that done we'll order a rug and start adding wall decor. The rug I've been looking at is a tumble rug, so it's washable, which is really nice! 
  • Third kid is definitely getting screwed  :D.  No nursery at all.  Nothing new being purchased except maybe a few cute outfits and will not have his own room for a few years.  Will be keeping baby with us in the bassinet until we sleep train at 5/6 months and then putting him in with 2 year old indefinitely.  We have an extra bedroom but we use it as a guest room for my MIL who stays with us probably 1/2 nights every week or every other week right now and will definitely want her help at the beginning so not taking her space away.  Will have to figure out where we are putting his clothes for now but otherwise not making any changes.

I did finally hang curtain rods in my 2 year olds room this week and am ordering new blackout blinds for her room as the ones she has now are all pretty broken.  
  • @third2022 Same here. Our second kid won’t have a room or even really his own space. I feel kind of sad about it honestly. He’ll be in a bassinet and then probably a pack n play in our closet when he’s a bit older (we’ll try to transform our large walk in closet into a suitable space for him to sleep but there certainly won’t be any room to play or store things!)

Putting together the nursery really helped me connect with my first. I’m struggling to find ways to connect to this kid since I can’t envision him “taking up space”, if that makes sense. I used to sit in the nursery and envision my baby before she was born, but that’s not really an option now. Anyone have tips for connecting? 
  • I’m definitely the Girl Scout and his room is 85% done. The only thing i need to do is buy and hang wall art, wash clothes and attempt to spruce up the glider from DD that has 5,000 water sports on it! 
  • Putting together the nursery really helped me connect with my first. I’m struggling to find ways to connect to this kid since I can’t envision him “taking up space”, if that makes sense. I used to sit in the nursery and envision my baby before she was born, but that’s not really an option now. Anyone have tips for connecting? 
    This has been literally the FIRST thing that has helped me feel connected this time around. I mean here we are already past halfway and finally buying a couple things to set up the room has made me feel a little less disconnected since ours was such a shock. 
    I know that obviously doesn’t help you. Maybe talking/reading to him? Designating a corner in your room for where the bassinet will be set up? Making a bit of room in a dresser drawer or closet for his clothes and things? 

• Lol baby boy is getting 0 changes to his room 😂 DDs is mostly gender neutral so we just need to move her stuff out and into her new room. Which...is currently my office. Testing out paint samples currently so hopefully we can paint end of February. 
  • Oh yay! A nursery thread! I actually just ordered our furniture and decor, we're waiting for it to come in! We are doing a cowboy theme and I am sooo excited about how it's going to turn out! We aren't painting, and just sticking with some wall decor. I am so fortunate to have a couple family pieces, such as the rocking chair my FIL was rocked in as a baby, a cowboy riding a bucking bull painting by his grandmother who was an artist, and a handmade toy box my DH grandpa that was originally made for his uncle (who passed away in a car accident when my husband was 10, they were only 8 years apart) so it was important to him that we had something from his uncle to pass down to our own boy! We have a super small space to work with so it'll be fairly simple. I can't wait to upload pics *hopefully* sooner than later! My dresser is on back-order until Feb 13.  :#
  • It took me two days but, I finally put the crib together in the nursery. Just seeing this one thing in the room makes it feel more real/tangible. It's also a guest room for my mom when she comes to help when baby is born and baby will be in a bassinet in our room. Also have a recliner we have to pick up and some decorations in the closet, just need to get a dresser and rug figured out.
  • @dw1031 pretty decals!! 
    @sph97 love the sentiment of the family pieces 💜
    @germainejeleed we just set up our crib too and it def made it feel more real to me also. 

• @And846 I weirdly love baby dresser organization 😆 can’t wait for ours to get here next week so I can do it too. Looks good!!
  • @b_1029 ditto! I love sorting out the itty bitty items and organizing the baby accessories. Don’t get me started on baskets in closets 😍
  • @karisahamdi i love the room! And I’m shocked someone would carpet (was that wood under the carpet?)
  • @karisahamdi oooo I love the color, especially with those beautiful floors! 
  • @karisahamdi beautiful nursery! Your floors are gorgeous! And we have a similar wall color. 😍
  • Thank you @And846 @b_1029 and @runninginva!! 

@And846 the floors were underneath but we refinished them to that color to match the floors downstairs. The wood was more orange before, but still did not deserve to be covered by carpet lol 
  • @karisahamdi it’s gorgeous!! Amazing transformation!! 

• My dilemma with the nursery is the size of that artwork and name sign i want on one wall. Our walls are 12’ and there is always so much space leftover. 
  • @karisahamdi wow! Wonderful transformation!!

We don’t have photos to share yet; just started on things this weekend. The nursery was my office. I got demoted to the “nook”, so moved the largest of my office things down (still a filing cabinet and smaller office supplies to transition) and put together the crib. My eldest helped with the crib and was SO EXCITED about it! And once it was done, she insisted on putting in the mattress and went hunting for a nice blanket to accessorize. So sweet. The glider was actually already in my office. But that’s all we have done so far!!

It’s still so nice to see the room begin to take shape. I’m pumped :smile:
  • @tacosandtums omgggg absolutely love that bedding and theme!! 

• I put *stuff* in the nursery today!!! The dresser, swing, and bassinet are in there with a lovely rug I picked up. 

Just curious, what is y’all’s opinions on the big name cutouts/decals for the wall? I was going to get a wooden cutout one, but the vinyl decals are cheaper and come in more colors. Whats your opinion on vinyl v. wood? What’s your option on doing it the name at all? 

@tacosandtums I love your whole idea! A chandelier would be so cute! You can probably get a dimmable switch, too. I’m thinking about ways to do that with ours. 
  • @tacosandtums love your theme, so cute!!! 

@taylorharris0522 I really like the name decals! Personally I'm a fan of the wood since it adds a different texture to the room. 
  • @tacosandtums I love your nursery theme! So creative! 
  • @taylorharris0522 I'm a big fan of vinyl decals!! We got ours on etsy. We have some in DDs room over her crib, and will have some in her new room as well. Ours are watercolor so I think they have "texture" . They're super easy to move, reusable, and most importantly, are not a falling hazard for cribs. We've had double secured lightweight pictures fall down somehow (command tape + nail, thankfully not above her crib or when we were home), so I would never hang anything above the crib. 
  • @taylorharris0522 I love decals!! I’m a huge Cricut fan though and am very biased. But love when they are able to be moved and reused. I think you can find some with some texture too if you want them to pop a bit more. I also love the look of wood, but agree with @pajamstagrams that you’re more limited on where they can go with crib. But I think the pop off the wall looks great ☺️
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited February 2022
    @taylorharris0522 I like most of the name decals I’ve seen! I’m having trouble picturing a vinyl type one but I’ve seen some cute farmhouse-y type wood ones. 

Eta
    @tacosandtums I can’t wait to see how it all comes together! Awesome job on the productivity! 
  • @pajamstagrams oooh so smart with them not being a falling hazard. I'm loving swing folks' nurseries come together! The boys will be sharing a room and I think I'll be making some tweaks to our bedroom to facilitate having a newborn in there again, but it's too early to bring up the bassinet and stuff.
  • @taylorharris0522 for DD too a few years ago i did watercolor floral decals and i had her name in script with a wood cutout! Almost 4 years later and a move, still looks great! I did have to use some 3M spray to add some extra sticky for the decks though! 
  • @taylorharris0522 I really like the name decals! Personally I'm a fan of the wood since it adds a different texture to the room. 
    This is why I like them too! If we EVER figure out a name for this baby girl I’m ordering one from a local friend who makes them! 

• My only suggestion for decals is to do one that ages well for at least a few years so you don’t have to change it or take it down if you don’t want to! This is what we had at our old house…we had the same decal for both girls and really loved them (but they are now in the same room and there wasn’t wall space because my kids have heckin long names lol) not sure how well this will show up in here 

• @brookejay06

🤣🤣🤣 j/k 💜😘

• @Brookej610 I actually felt the same way for a really long time 😂 but then my oldest ripped some decor off her wall (that wasn’t even technical over her crib so I still don’t know how she did it) and after about a year of nothing on the huge wall in her room, the barrenness started to annoy me. Still not my favorite go to but it definitely works well at the grabby hands stage!
  • @brookejay06 lol no offense taken here, we don't have names, only shapes! DD has stars in her current room, and is getting a watercolor shark in her new room . 😜