April 2022 Moms

FFFC 1/21

It’s been a while! Let’s hear it.*

*Warning: Not guaranteed to be flame free, results may vary.

Re: FFFC 1/21

• @FishyMom Those things are awesome! I don’t see an issue as long as it’s being used the way it’s intended… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
  • Loading the player...
  • @FishyMom @aloha_mama I was actually just talking with a couple of my friends who have little ones about the Boppy being recalled— I feel like it’s kind of the same thing where if you use it as intended, and just make sure you’re supervising your baby, it’s perfectly fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️ So I’m planning to use both a breastfeeding pillow and also the SnuggleMe Organic pillow just to place him in whenever I need to put him down somewhere.
  • @minnie_yoga_mama Until she could roll over by herself, DD6 spent a lot of time propped up in her Boppy nursing pillow— I had to wear her on me a lot because she needed to be near us for a good chunk of the day but when she allowed us to set her down she was sitting in the Boppy. I would just set it on the floor and put a blanket over and nestle her in there and she was happy as a clam. Just about anything is hazardous if you’re using it wrong! Especially with babies. You’ll be just fine. 
  • FishyMomFishyMom member
    edited January 2022
    Wait… are Bobby’s recalled??? ETA I googled and I think I think I have one of those too. 😂 

@aloha_mama yes same with crafts!! Crafting and baking with young kids is the WORST!!!! 
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• @aloha_mama I hate it when I buy kits I think are going to buy me sanity and time and they end up being a hot mess and soooo much work on my part.

• @FishyMom Just the loungers, which are so nice! We didn’t have one so I just used the nursing pillow as a lounger. 

@SmashJam Is there ever a point where I can do what I want to do with kits, where I just set it up and let her do the rest by herself? I wanted to run away screaming but couldn’t let go of the damn metal frame or the beads would go everywhere and it would just be an eternal purgatory of me crawling on my hands and knees cleaning them up over and over. Maybe this is penance for something I did…
  • @aloha_mama @FishyMom

Yes, same on crafts and baking! The last time I baked with DD3 and let her hold the hand mixer, it was like watching a drunk person in charge of a weapon. Like I don’t know what’s going to happen here, but I know it won’t end well!

Roll on the warmer weather when there’s less of a need for indoor activities!

• @SmashJam @aloha_mama yes it's a magical age called 5. But it comes with equal parts able to follow directions but also attitude about listening or following any of said instructions, followed by extreme frustration that nothing turns out perfectly.
  • @rbflei DD is 6… lol 

She’s actually able to entertain herself for a while with most things but there’s those certain crafts and projects where I need to “help” and it just makes me want to pull my hair out. And most of those projects are “gifts” from other people so that’s always a fun time.
  • I guess my FFC is that I actually love doing that kind of craft stuff but DS4 doesn’t like them, and it makes me so sad 😭 At least he enjoys baking with me! 
  • I like when my kids get kits as presents because we can do them and then… they can go away. Unlike endless toys for me to manage forever and ever. I have actually told friends they could just gift my kids a ream of paper and they would be totally happy - and that’s exactly how that turned out. They have their own stash of papers to do whatever they want with without constantly raiding the printer. 

But there is such a range of craft types, the little fiddly things of frustration and things that are easier to hand over. And it does take practice, for their coordination but also their patience levels. My older two are almost 9 and 7 and can now do perler beads without making me cry. (We have carpet everywhere 👎 so I have to pick up messes by hand before vacuuming)

they’ve all done hand sewing embroidery/the past couple years, which with three of them just means I am constantly running back and forth cutting/tying/rethreading needles. 

I can’t handle baking though. 
  • @aloha_mama I am totally a crafty mom (well, most of the time) but those little beads sound like a nightmare! 
  • I agree, I would prefer the lots for gifts too. My go to gift is normally an ice cream gift card or something like that. But I’d be happy with a craft kit. 
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• @aloha_mama DS6 can be independent with things if he's capable of pulling off the activity as far as motor skills go- we do Tinker Crates which he's great with because he's an exceptional reader so he can do instructions alone, but if something is hard to unscrew or pour he needs help...beads would have been an issue, or we would have tried it on a giant cookie tray to contain the mess, but frustration would have caused stoppage in my house too if they got dislodged to easy. It's hard to find the perfect activity! 
  • @SmashJam She has some boxes just with loose craft stuff and she can go make things for hours on her own, maybe my issue is just with kits that come from other people haha I don’t buy beads or anything with tiny pieces so we don’t usually run into problems like this! Usually our problems are more like helping her open the glue or decide what color pipe cleaners to use. 
  • @FishyMom I still have two RNPs that we’ll use. This will be the first kid that won’t sleep overnight in it though. We bought a new bed last year and it’s super tall. I wasn’t comfortable with the distance it would be away from me so we opted for a Halo bassinet this time. I need to be able to see baby since my PPD and anxiety will be through the roof. Still gonna use the RNPs as we need them at other times though. It was such a godsend for my first 3! 

• My FFFC is that we use the toddler side of the crib mattress for our babies. Granted, they sleep next to me until around 5-6 months so they have good head control by then, but as soon as they start sleeping in the crib, it’s on the toddler side. They all have slept so much better than a firm mattress. In fact, we started with a firm foam mattress for my first. Tossed it out after a week of a baby waking multiple times in the night, bought an innerspring, and used the toddler side. My kids have STTN since 8-9 weeks old. No way was I messing with that! 

We also use a blanket tucked under their armpits. Be safe, but live and learn ladies. 

• @boymom312 we have the same kind of mattress and I can't even tell which side is which. I have tried to figure it out and I'm like screw it, it must not be that big of a difference. 
  • @boymom312 my FFC is that  I'm not sure I knew there were two sides! AFTER TWO KIDS! lol
  • @SmashJam I was not aware of this after two kids either 🤣
  • boymom312boymom312 member
    edited January 2022
    @Blondesweety444 @SmashJam @Ivorytower2 Lol! I only realized it because the mattresses that we’ve stuck with have a little tag on the top of each side that says toddler or infant. Pretty sure I just happened to spot it one day though.