Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Too much tv

Hi you guys!! My daughter Empress is 13months old and is obsessed with watching tv. She has plenty of toys to play with, but as soon as the tv is on, she's stuck. It doesn't even matter what the show is. How can I stop this or at least break her a little bit?

Re: Too much tv

• Had the same situation, so my husband and I just not watch much TV while our daughter is awake. Occasionally she'll get the TV while we cook, meetings (cause work from home), and cutting her nails. Just keep distracting and bring out books. 
  • knottie2170fa34a4ee702d said:
    Had the same situation, so my husband and I just not watch much TV while our daughter is awake. Occasionally she'll get the TV while we cook, meetings (cause work from home), and cutting her nails. Just keep distracting and bring out books. 
    The is what we do. I would say we’ve never had the tv on in our house when baby is awake. So bit different. He is obsessed with our phones though. We decided to not ever have the tv on and I’m not sure he even knows what it does. Either that or you have to set a hard limit like after 30 minutes it has to go off. That could be hard thought to deal with the possible tantrum from turning it off. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Ultimately you’re the parent and it’s your job to help her “quit” things you believe are unhealthy, and moderate how much she’s doing certain activities. If you don’t give her a structured, disciplined introduction to things like TV, phone usage, video games, whatever she’s exposed to, don’t be angry at her when she doesn’t know how to discipline her own self as a teen. That’s your job to teach her how it looks when she’s a baby, toddler, middle schooler, etc. YOU show what normal, healthy interactions are with people, screens, toys, everything! 
    You need a certain amount your okay with allowing, to set a timer each day, and then stick with it through the fits for a while. It will be worth it. By the way, do this for yourself to like I did and your life will change so much for the better. My habits used to be awful and it directly affects my mental health. I’m still far from perfect with it but I’m so glad I’ve helped myself be disciplined. 
    My parents never helped me learn to be disciplined in any area. Please don’t allow your kid to grow up with free access to tv all the time, she needs to learn how to set herself habits later in life. Set something and stick to it. 
  • You should review your own tv habits. Spend free time with your kid outdoors playing or doing different activities.
  • edited December 2023
  • Type Distract your baby with anything, but don't let him watch TV too much, it's very harmful.your comment
  • My 16 mo daughter used to play with the iPad a lot. I bought her a colorful and beautiful pair of shoes and took her to the park. Now she doesn't want the iPad at all; she wants to play with her friends in the park. By the way, I'm very happy with the shoes. They have a wide toe box, are very lightweight, and support natural development due to their flexibility Rainbow 
  • Would it be possible to enroll him in part time daycare? It would give your mom a much needed break, he would get less screen time, and it wouldn’t cost you as much as full time daycare.