July 2022 Moms

I love sleeping on my back!

edited January 2022 in July 2022 Moms
I know we’re not supposed to do this anymore especially into the 2nd trimestre but it’s my favorite position and I find myself several times during the night. Not on purpose but I wake up and I’m on my back. 
Any suggestions of how to become a side sleeper or stay on my side? 

Re: I love sleeping on my back!

• I’m a stomach sleeper, so similar issue, I have to stop at some point during my pregnancy. Would a pregnancy pillow help keep you in position?
  • I had the same problem when I was pregnant with my son. I used a pregnancy pillow which helped and then once my belly was significantly bigger, my son would pinch a nerve if I was on my side so I slept semi reclined on a recliner.
  • Loading the player...
  • I roll up a towel and stuff it under the curve in my back. It keeps me on my side
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • You don't really have to worry about this until after 20 weeks. But my OB also told me that if it's cutting off oxygen to the baby your body will let me know (you'll likely get dizzy) and I did notice that happening towards the end of my pregnancy with DD during ultrasounds and other times I had to lay on my back. 
  • I'm a back sleeper too. Even the last month with my first I just used some pillows to prop up one hip slightly. You just can't be totally flat. 
    34 year old mama of a 4 year old girl.
    1st birth through years of trying and the wonder drug letrozole.
    Second a great surprise.

• I miss sleeping on my back!! 
    (Not sure if true) but I read once that sleeping on one's left side is better for blood flow so I try to always begin in that position to sleep and with a pillow between my legs (helps with the pelvic girdle pain). 
    I have found beginning in this position, and trying to surround myself with pillows, has kept me sleeping on my sides. Even when rolling over the pillows make it more comfortable to put a leg on them-like flamingo position. 
    What ultimately stopped me from sleeping on my back was I had no choice--I woke up around 4 times not being able to breathe as baby got bigger and I am a heavier (over 200lbs.) person to begin with, so the combination I couldn't sleep for an extended period on my back without waking up struggling to catch my breath in the 2nd trimester. 

Hopefully you won't go through such moments to force that end, but it sure made me much more consciously choose how to sleep every night. 
    Now at 34 weeks, I hope baby comes out so I can enjoy sleeping on my back once more! 😊