1st Trimester

Did anyone get covid 19 vaccine in first trimester?

Hello ladies! I wanted to see if anyone got covid 19 vaccine in the first trimester and what were your experiences, side effects? I m considering of getting it as I m paranoid of getting covid while being pregnant. I m also scared to put a vaccine in my body as I do not know how it would affect my developing fetus. I miscarried in April and being extra cautious. While they say it is safe, they did not do any studies on pregnant women specifically, so I m a little concerned on how it could affect developing fetus. Thank you for sharing ! 

Re: Did anyone get covid 19 vaccine in first trimester?

• katb2021 said:
    Hello ladies! I wanted to see if anyone got covid 19 vaccine in the first trimester and what were your experiences, side effects? I m considering of getting it as I m paranoid of getting covid while being pregnant. I m also scared to put a vaccine in my body as I do not know how it would affect my developing fetus. I miscarried in April and being extra cautious. While they say it is safe, they did not do any studies on pregnant women specifically, so I m a little concerned on how it could affect developing fetus. Thank you for sharing ! 
    This would be a great question for your doctor who has likely done an extensive review of the risks/benefits using the scientific data available.

If you search on the board several people have already asked this question with lots of responses.

FWIW, the 2 people I know personally that were hospitalized for Covid were pregnant, one of whom was out on a ventilator and even now several months later is still on oxygen.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Thank you for your response. This is so scary. I m definitely considering getting one. My doctor told me it is my personal decision whether or not to get it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I got my second shot the day after my embryo transfer, and I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant. Two friends of mine got their vaccine at 5 and 7 months, respectively. Both have perfectly healthy babies. I know that's not first trimester but maybe that'll help your decision, too. 
  • Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your answers. I m leaning towards getting it after the first trimester. 
  • following:) I want my booster now but may wait till end of first trimester :) 
  • I received 1st shot 5 weeks and 2nd shot 9 weeks. Currently 10 weeks and no symptoms and feeling peace of mind 
  • I got my second shot at 5 weeks!
  • Just got my booster shot last week at 11 weeks:) 
  • I got my booster before finding out I was pregnant- it would have been at around 3 weeks. Now 7 weeks going strong! Definitely advise getting it given evidence based research that vax won’t affect bebe.
  • Thank you , ladies! Pls post more. It is really helping me to make a decision as my employer is forcing me to get it and it looks like I have no choice 
  • choard15choard15 member
    edited November 2021
    I recommend it.
  • There’s no evidence that it causes problems with pregnancy. I got the booster right around the time I ovulated and am now 5w pregnant with no problems so far. The only side effects I had were being tired and a headache. The CDC is tracking pregnant women: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafepregnancyregistry.html
  • I’ve actually seen studies show that it attacks the placenta.
  • Thank you for your comment. I decided to get it after the pregnancy  <3
  • @katb2021 I look at it this way... If you dont get the jab n unfortunately contract covid, the severity is bad based on already low immunity. If you do, then you prtect yourself from getting it & that way, you dont let it come near your baby as well! 
    I have my booster scheduled next werk n i'll be 13w 3d and my OB said...with the rising cases you better be protected than regret later. Hope that helps! 
  • I got vaccinated with Moderna in the spring and got pregnant in September after trying for 2 years.

Two close friends who got vaccinated in February while pregnant with their 2nd kids (both are extremely into research, are pretty holistic, and 1 is a Dr) and both children are perfectly fine. I am acquaintances with many more women who were vaxxed while pregnant or breastfeeding, and none had issues.

But those are all anecdotes- when comparing data of pregnant people vaxxed versus unvaxxed, there is no difference in rates of miscarriage, preterm labor, stillbirth, low birth weight, pre-eclampsia, etc. 

For those reasons I felt perfectly comfortable getting boosted last month (November) at 10 weeks. I wanted to get boosted because 1. I know my immune system is weaker now, 2. as a pregnant person, COVID would be very dangerous for me, 3. Immunity (whether from vaccination or infection) wanes over time and I don't want to face winter without a robust supply of immune memory.

My only concern was that I had a strong reaction to the second shot - 8 hours of bad chills and aches - and didn't know if those side effects could do anything to the baby.  My midwife and everything I could find said no. 
    I just took Tylenol after the shot and for about 18 hr after. 

That was my experience and reasoning. Hope it helps! 
  • I just got my booster on Monday at 4 weeks and like 3 days. Covid is spreading rapidly where I live so I didn't want to chance it. Better to have as much immunity as I can and feel a little yucky from the shot, than get COVID which could make me sick for weeks or worse. FWIW, I did get pretty sick yesterday with a low fever. No fever today and back to work. All is good.
  • I got the Pfizer and am pregnant now. I plan on getting the booster at the urging of my OB/GYN who said it is best to do. 
  • Following this as I am 11 weeks and set to get my booster tomorrow and am terrified ! Mostly because my first 2 messed with period like crazy. So wondering if there’s a connection. To those you got it in first trimester - was all ok ?
  • I got the booster a day before my BFP. No issues at all!
  • I got Pfizer and am now Covid positive at 6 weeks. My OBGYN has said to not freak out. I’m going to talk to her about the booster at my first appointment. 
  • thank you for sharing ! Just checking in - all still ok? Tks!!
  • What about side effects like fever that could happen? What is the risk of that to a baby in the first vs second or third trimester? Isn't this dangerous to a baby in itself? Now due for a booster but am afraid of unfortunate side effects and how that might impact things 
  • @knottie you could get a fever from a basic virus at any point in your pregnancy, which you would take Tylenol for and it most likely wouldn’t be a big deal. I wouldn’t worry about something like that. It’s much better to be protected from a nasty Covid illness than worry about getting a fever for a couple days. 
  • But what if it messed with your menstrual  cycle prior to getting pregnant? That is my concern. It caused my period to be late by over a week. I also already had covid while pregnant. I’m torn .
  • I just got my booster yesterday. (At 7 weeks +5 days.)
    My doctor strongly encouraged me to get my booster ASAP, as studies have shown that pregnant people have increased risks of hospitalization, being put on a ventilator, and experiencing loss of pregnancy if infected. (And, of course, we're also more susceptible to viruses.)
    If you're not sure, definitely talk to your OB. :)
  • I can understand waiting until you are out of the 1st trimester. I was pregnant last September and had decided I was going to get the vaccine in my 2nd trimester. Went in for the 1st scan and there was no heartbeat. I know that if I had gotten the vaccine I would have questioned if it caused the miscarriage, even though it wouldn't have. Talk with your OB and do what you feel is safest and will give you peace of mind, once you make your decision be ok with it ❤

• My concern is that it can cause fever and fever (i.e. raising of core body temperature over 102F)  in the first trimester has been linked to birth defects. That's why I'm not allowed to use my hot tub!! 
  • aannalilaannalil member
    edited May 2022
    My all friends were also very worried about it.
  • Just wondering if you received the shot? I refuse to. Only time will tell what, if any, side effects it will have on baby as they grow.
  • noramayennoramayen Just Joined
    No shots and I had covid in my 1st trimester, it was a flu, I took tylenol and I recovered just fine in 3 days. My baby is growing beautifully and normally and ready to arrive in September without the unknown foreign object. Do what you feel is best for YOU and YOUR baby. Your body, your choice.
  • “Unknown foreign object”… okay.