2nd Trimester

Recurrent BV

Anyone have this or in the past? I have taken metrogel and clindamycin oral and I know it’s back again:( I don’t want to keep treating it if it’s just going to continue to come back. Did anyone have this in other pregnancies and it didn’t cause preterm labor? That’s what I’m most worried about! 

Re: Recurrent BV

• lshap83 said:
    Anyone have this or in the past? I have taken metrogel and clindamycin oral and I know it’s back again:( I don’t want to keep treating it if it’s just going to continue to come back. Did anyone have this in other pregnancies and it didn’t cause preterm labor? That’s what I’m most worried about! 
    YES! You want to continue treating it.  Please be sure that you are finishing your meds! Its important, if you are not doing so.  

I had multiple yeast infections during my pregnancy, and she was born 1 day early.  Its better to treat than not treat.  
  • How many times did you have to go on antibiotics? Which ones did you take? I feel like it’s just going to come back so what’s the point?!
  • Loading the player...
  • lshap83 said:
    How many times did you have to go on antibiotics? Which ones did you take? I feel like it’s just going to come back so what’s the point?!
    This is the point! 

• yes. I’m totally aware of that. The problem is , how many rounds of antibiotics does someone go on if it just comes back the next week? 1/3 women have BV during pregnancy and many are not found/screened. If it was such a huge concern, wouldn’t doctors screen still every prenatal visit to make sure someone doesn’t have it? 
  • Fine, you do you! Im not a doctor so talk to your doctor- if you know its back obviously its bothering you - the medical professionals can answer better than internet strangers.

So do whatever floats your boat, but remember it may affect your baby. 
  • @ishap83 you came here looking for answers and @harpseal135 has answered all of your questions thoroughly. If you’re not liking the accurate answers she’s giving you, I’m not sure the point of asking the question? What answer are you looking for? Are you wanting someone to tell you that you don’t have to take medicine and everything will be fine? That’s likely not the case and no one here will tell you that. You should be discussing (or arguing) this with your doctor and not internet strangers. Fwiw, when I had bv when I was younger, flagyl would knock it right out. Not sure if it’s pregnancy safe but could be something you could discuss with your doctor. The benefits might outweigh the risks. 
  • boy harpseal, having a bad day? I actually know a lot more about this topic then the copy and paste google search you did that shows the increase possibility of preterm labor. I have access to “up -to-date” which is accessed and used by all doctors for the most updated guidance and meta-analysis from Cochrone studies. The problem is that it’s not clear cut to treat BV in low risk individuals (those who haven’t had a preterm birth) as the infection has a high recurrence rate and doesn’t always prevent preterm labor (even when eradicating the infection). I agree that infection can cause chorioamniostatis which in term causes preterm labor but it’s not as clear cut as you think. My simple question was of those who’ve dealt with reoccurring BV and after trying everything, just stopped treating every other week and if they had preterm labor. Thanks for your weak feedback and your rude response:)
  • Actually I had a GREAT DAY! Thank you very much! 

As @paytonpedro said and gave you what worked for her. That is what worked for me, too, both times I got BV during pregnancy. 

If you know more about this than a simple screen shot of a reliable resource, and "access to “up -to-date” which is accessed and used by all doctors for the most updated guidance and meta-analysis from Cochrone studies."

Your statement, 'My simple question was of those who’ve dealt with reoccurring BV and after trying everything, just stopped treating every other week and if they had preterm labor." Does not apply to other peoples experiences.  What happens to someone in their LandD and their prenatal care has NO BEARING on your situation.  

If you have all this information at your finger tips, talk to your doctor.  THAT IS YOUR BEST RESOURCE! 

Adios and best wishes in your pregnancy. 
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited December 2021
    lshap83 said:
    lshap83 said:
    yes. I’m totally aware of that. The problem is , how many rounds of antibiotics does someone go on if it just comes back the next week? 1/3 women have BV during pregnancy and many are not found/screened. If it was such a huge concern, wouldn’t doctors screen still every prenatal visit to make sure someone doesn’t have it? 
    lshap83 said:
    boy harpseal, having a bad day? I actually know a lot more about this topic then the copy and paste google search you did that shows the increase possibility of preterm labor. I have access to “up -to-date” which is accessed and used by all doctors for the most updated guidance and meta-analysis from Cochrone studies. The problem is that it’s not clear cut to treat BV in low risk individuals (those who haven’t had a preterm birth) as the infection has a high recurrence rate and doesn’t always prevent preterm labor (even when eradicating the infection). I agree that infection can cause chorioamniostatis which in term causes preterm labor but it’s not as clear cut as you think. My simple question was of those who’ve dealt with reoccurring BV and after trying everything, just stopped treating every other week and if they had preterm labor. Thanks for your weak feedback and your rude response:)
    Just in case…
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • thanks for your chiming in with your nice comment, have a great day. 
  • edited February 2022
    I had chronic bv prior to pregnancy for 6 years straight. Went away with my first in 2018 and came right back when she was born and now went away this time at 13 weeks and I’m 17 weeks pregnant. Some women can’t get rid of it at all and in reality constant antibiotics will also effect your baby. So many are uneducated on bv (including drs) 🤦🏻‍♀️ Long road for me and so many other women. I was just getting ahold of it and got a positive pregnancy test and had to stop everything I was doing but luckily pregnancy gets rid of mine. My advice would be to sign up on evvy.com and pay for the test. It’ll break down every single bacteria/fungus literally everything and give exact percentages of what you have going on in your vagina. Once you get the results back take them to your Dr given they won’t test for sooooo much of this and they probably aren’t even treating you properly because of that but you get the appropriate antibiotics when you take them test results. Also push for treatment on your partner regardless of what your Dr says. Maybe get the go ahead and also start a good probiotic for vaginal health. Best of luck.
  • I currently have BV but won’t start antibiotics until next week since I’m only 12 weeks. The doctor tested me as a precaution and turns out I have it with no signs whatsoever! I’m dreading the antibiotics but I know it’s best for my baby, even though I’m asymptomatic. 
    How’s your diet? 
    I changed my diet as soon as I found out. Got rid of eating any access sugar(which I needed to do anyway lol) and started eating Greek yogurt every morning, as I read these things can help prevent BV. 
    Other than that I’d say take the antibiotics as the doctor suggests, but talk to your doctor about the pros and cons for sure if you’re concerned. If it’s not going away/recurring there might be other treatment available too. You only took oral antibiotics? I know there’s a cream you can use too, the doctor can give you. Maybe the oral just ain’t cutting it and you need to go directly to the source.