January 2022 Moms

Things I wish I'd known

STM+ have any advice for FTM?

Re: Things I wish I'd known

• Take everything from the bassinet
    Take the stool softener. If they don't offer ASK
    Dont be afraid to be your own advocate. You know your body more than anyone else. 
    It's ok to go to the hospital for false labor. It happens all the time..
    You might poop on the table, and that's ok too. 
    You will be the hungriest you've ever been in your life after delivery. 
    Its also ok you don't instantly bond with baby. It comes with time. 
    There will probably be a hormone dump 2-3 days after delivery. You will be so.happy, but all you'll be able to do is cry. 
  • Make sure your partner is WELL AWARE of what can happen during birth and KNOWS what your wishes are (in case you're not really with-it). They need to be able to advocate on your behalf. 

Post delivery, eat and drink a lot. 

With my first, through the night, any peep he made, I'd put him on the book. I didn't realize that babies are loud sleepers and are likely still asleep even though they are 'fussing'. Shushing him back to sleep might have resulted in longer stretches of unbroken sleep for the both of us.

• Loading the player...
  • Drink way more water than you think you need to stay hydrated!  And make sure you feed yourself too.  I feel like I was starving/never felt full for the first 8 months I breastfed even though I ate more than ever 😂

If you have a csection, ask for and use the belly binder! For some reason, I was not offered one until I was leaving the hospital.  But it turned out to be so helpful the first couple weeks with comfort when moving/walking. 

I did not know about postpartum night sweats being a thing as hormone levels drop.  I think they lasted a couple weeks, but it might not have been that long.  But it definitely caught me by surprise.

@sarah_is_pregnant, definitely agree with newborns being very loud sleepers.  It took us a few weeks to figure this out too!  Sometimes baby would even cry out like he was awake but would still be asleep. 

• Trust your gut.  I had told my doctor's office  on 3 different occasions that something felt off in the couple days leading up to delivery.  They all kind of brushed me off and chalked it up to Braxton Hicks and false labor since I was so early, my contractions were irregular, and my water hadn't broken.  And then I showed up at the hospital 9cm dilated. Had I waited much longer to go in, we would have had a home or car delivery. 

I don't know that this is true for everyone, but it HURTS when your milk comes in.  I was in so much pain.  Cold gel inserts for my bra were very helpful. Ask your nurse if they have any you can use. There was so much pressure that I had to hand express in the shower to relieve some of the pain. 

Definitely make your partner your advocate and voice when you can't voice it yourself.  

If your laboring position isn't working for you, don't be afraid to ask to change if you can.  I was struggling to push from my back.  I got much more oomf by pushing on my side and using the side rail as leverage, and then turning to my back at the last minute. 

DS: 3-6-15 💙
    Baby Girl Due: 1-1-22
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Definitely don’t be afraid to got to the hospital for false labor. After having mild but consistent contractions 5 minutes or less for 7 hours I got checked at my OB office (not hospital) at 5 PM and my midwife told me I wasn’t in labor and to go home drink some water and take two Tylenol. Contractions didn’t stop and started getting more painful. They said I could go to the hospital to get meds but it might slow down labor (but you said I wasn’t in labor so …). I went to the hospital around 9 PM and my water broke within 5 minutes after I got into my room, before the nurse even made it in. When I say my water broke - it BROKE - soooo thankful I wasn’t in the car, would have been a gigantic mess. DS was born 9 hours later. So glad I trusted my gut and went to the hospital. 
  • There's nothing wrong with you if your first thought when that baby is placed in your arms is "holy hell, I'm actually responsible for caring for this thing". I thought it would be like TV where you immediately sob happy tears. Nope. I was like "whoa, I don't know how to take care of this guy." It's all worked out so far and I've cried plenty of happy tears since that day. 

See the lactation consultant. Get all the help you can while in the hospital. 

Your first poop after labor will be terrifying. Agree with @AshleyGemini24 - do NOT turn down the stool softener. 

Be super proactive with nipple care. Start the cream even before you think you need it. If your nipples get cracked and the pain is unbearable, give each nipple a little break. Nurse on one side, then pump the other. Switch it up next feeding. This helped immensely when I was sobbing during cluster feeding. 
  • Also. I don't know how they feel after c section. Haven't had one. But for vaginal birth. The mesh underwear are ok. But to avoid the wad of postpartum pads I used depends. Much more comfortable and more absorbant without having to worry about leaks. 
  • I wish I would have known how much my vagina would hurt after birth because of tearing. I had to sit on a boppy for weeks. I also wish I would have known how hard/painful breastfeeding was. My nips bleed for a good week and then they heal and we’re good to go, mostly. 
  • @kcf19 Me too with the vagina pain. I have ice packs ready this time, haha. 
  • Doesnt help for internal vag pain but the dermoplast spray is wonderful for external pain.. Make sure it's blue cap not red. 
  • I have friends who made padsicles ahead of time. Pads with witch hazel and put in the freezer to use postpartum.
    I was VERY lucky and had no major vaginal pain post delivery. Sore, but not terrible. I'm very nervous for this go around since (hopefully) I'll make it closer to 40weeks and thus will deliver a bigger baby. (My son was 5lbs4oz at 34 weeks)
  • I have friends who made padsicles ahead of time. Pads with witch hazel and put in the freezer to use postpartum.
    I was VERY lucky and had no major vaginal pain post delivery. Sore, but not terrible. I'm very nervous for this go around since (hopefully) I'll make it closer to 40weeks and thus will deliver a bigger baby. (My son was 5lbs4oz at 34 weeks)
    I only tore with my smallest baby (8 lbs). I had no tearing or pain with my 9 lbers so don’t worry too much about that. 
  • @kcf19, thanks for the reassurance!!