Halloween: love it or hate it?
Favorite candy?
Grossest candy?
Favorite costume you wore growing up?
Favorite Halloween/scary movie?

Re: GTKY: Halloween!

• kgg2241kgg2241 member
    edited October 2021
    Halloween: love it or hate it? I love all the things that come with Halloween... like movies, decor, and parties, but I despise dressing up. Finding a costume gives me anxiety every year. 

Favorite candy? Anything gummy. 

Grossest candy? Black liquorice or dark chocolate

Favorite costume you wore growing up? Ehh my mom hated Halloween so we never had cool costumes. 

Favorite Halloween/scary movie? I love all the Halloween (Michael Myers) movies.
  • Halloween: love it or hate it? LOVE!
    Favorite candy? Snickers or anything chocolate
    Grossest candy? Smartees - it's like flavored chalk, no thank you!
    Favorite costume you wore growing up? I made an impressive peacock costume one year
    Favorite Halloween/scary movie? Love scary movies. I was scared watching Paranormal Activity and The Orphanage (same director as Pan's Labyrinth)!
  • Loading the player...
  • night_nursenight_nurse member
    edited October 2021
    LOVE halloween. We are completely obsessed over here. 
    Favorite candy is Dots or reese’s cups
    Least favorite are milk duds, cant stand the texture
    Favorite childhood costume was a bride- pretty sure I wore the gold dress 3 years in a row.
    Love scary movies too: we are watching Midnight Mass on Netflix right now. Good once you get to the 4th/5th episode. Hard to get into initially. The new Candyman movie was really good too. I love all the Halloween movies and looking forward to the new one coming out. The Fear Street series on Netflix is good too- gory but good.
  • Halloween: love it or hate it?
    Kind of neutral, don’t hate it for sure. I like pumpkins/ jack-o-lanterns, though.
    Favorite candy?
    Twix or KitKats, usually.
    Grossest candy?
    Licorice or Almond Joy.
    Kind of stupid, but as a child I made a jack-o-lantern mask in art class and was adamant it be part of my costume. Because my parents didn’t have a lot of money to work with, I ended up wearing a Halloween trash bag(that had a big jack-o-lantern face on it) as my main costume over a green sweater or something like that. I remember being so proud of my homemade costume and no one questioned why I had a literal trash bag on. Lol
    So here’s the thing, my parents never let me watch any scary movies, really. Kind of strict on that. Closest we got was Harry Potter and when my grandmother found out we had to throw it out to ‘purge the evil’ from our home. As an adult regained a soft spot for Harry Potter when I worked in an after school program with a girl who was obsessed with it. She ended up being the flower girl at my wedding and I kid you not, as I was getting ready to walk down the isle I hear her softly singing ‘Harry Potter in 99 seconds’… if anyone is familiar with that YouTube video.
    My nerves were instantly gone. Lol
  • @faithmovesmountains my mom wouldn't let us read Harry Potter because of the magic and evil or whatever, but we did watch scary movies. Make it make sense 😅. That is such a cute story about your wedding. 
  • I am meh on Halloween. Could take it or leave it, but my in laws are Halloween obsessed so I try to get into it. This is the first year DD will understand so she is enjoying it. 

Fave candy is broad. I love chocolate and gummies. Specifically twice and those life savers gummies lol 
    Least favorite candy is whoppers or those cheap candies in the orange and black wrappers (I don't even know what they are, just know they taste like wax) 

I was captain Morgan (my name is Morgan) in college once and it was great. I carried around a handle of liquor and poured it into people's mouths. 

Fave Halloween movie is hocus pocus. I don't like truly scaryovies cause I am a baby. 
  • Halloween: love it or hate it? Love it! I tend to love all holidays but especially ones that encourage going nuts on decor.

Favorite candy? Salted Nut Rolls, Snickers

Grossest candy? Black licorice 

Favorite costume you wore growing up? I did a hippie a lot as a tween and always loved that.

Favorite Halloween/scary movie? I don’t like scary movies at all. I just can’t wrap my head around trying to scare myself. 😂 So my favorites would be something endearing like Edward Scissorhands or Addam’s Family. Family
  • @rachelredhead oh man, I love Salted Nut Rolls too. (why did that feel dirty to type 🤣)
  • rachelredheadrachelredhead member
    edited October 2021
    @kgg2241 you know that candy has that name only because it’s so old. No way that name would fly today if it was brand new. 🤪 In a pre-kid life I ran marathons/half-marathons and since Pearson’s (salted nut roll maker) is based here, I judged all local races on whether there were salted nut rolls at the finish. 

ETA one of our local breweries has also gone big on collaborating with the makers and I am gonna need one of these smuggled into the hospital:

• Halloween: love it or hate it? I can't say I love it. I always get stressed out by the costumes (so hard to find one that works with a coat under it, so hard to find one that doesn't give me body image issues, so hard to find one that checks those boxes while also being creative and funny and not too much trouble). I'd rather just wear my own comfy clothes.

Favorite candy? If we're choosing among standard Halloween stuff, I'd go for snickers, KitKat, Mounds, Nestle Crunch, Peanut M&Ms. But the truth is what I really want is some good dark chocolate with nuts and sea salt in it.

Grossest candy? Airheads, sourpatch kids, candy corn

Favorite costume you wore growing up? I never really liked the costumes

Favorite Halloween/scary movie? I'm bad at scary movies, they scare me too much
  • @jessier19 you're right, candy corn IS gross! 
  • Halloween: love it or hate it? Loved it until I got too old for parties, but my girls are obsessed with it so love it again through them 💓 DD1 decorates the front if the houseevery year, and I love watching them do their pumpkins.

Favorite candy? I mean...all of them? But if I had to choose one...Rockets? I don't know why I love those things but I do. Bonus that most people hate them so I know I'll always end up with some.

Grossest candy? Candy Corn and those weird Halloween toffee things

Favorite costume you wore growing up? My brother and I went as Raggedy Anne and Andy for WAY too many years...but it was the only real costumes we ever had. My boyfriend through high school and University LOVED Halloween and his mom made him the BEST costumes (like even when he was in his mid 20s) so I could never compete.

Hate scary movies. I get WAY too scared. SO is alllllll about Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin though. We usually watch the Nightmare Before Christmas and last night we watched the Adam's Family.

• @kgg2241 same with the dressing up! I like the fun leading up to it, but not dressing up. As a teacher, we celebrate by having a book character day, and I always hate having to find/make a book character costume. 

Halloween: love it or hate it? Love it!! My son really enjoys going around town and looking at all the decorations during the month of October! His joy makes me love it even more! 

Favorite candy? Reese’s! I didn’t like them before getting pregnant with my first, but since then they’ve been my fav. 

Grossest candy? Candy corn 

Favorite costume you wore growing up? Bunny! My mom put my sister and I in zip up pjs and added bunny ears and face paint. Homemade Halloween costumes of the 90s were the best! 

Favorite Halloween/scary movie? The Halloween Series. Michael Meyers is a great villain. 
  • For all you candy corn haters. My counter top right now 😂. I love it until this bowl runs out. Then I'm set for another year.

• @kgg2241 I loooooove candy corn. If I had that dish in my house it would be gone in 24 hours. Kryptonite!
  • Halloween: love it or hate it? Love it! My house is 100% decorated inside and out, the only type of pancakes we eat in October are shaped like skulls, and my son insists on carrying this ghost decoration everywhere we go 😂.      

Favorite candy? Milky ways

Grossest candy? Black licorice 

Favorite costume you wore growing up? When I was 4 I was a sheriff “sheriff ChiChi” I said for some reason. Later in life I was hipster snow white 

Favorite Halloween/scary movie? Hocus pocus is a must, but we generally will hit as many as we can every Friday in October 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Halloween: love it or hate it? I don't get super excited, but I love seeing my daughter get so excited. As an elementary teacher, I am not happy that Halloween is on a Sunday this year.

Favorite candy? The peanut butter cups in the shape of a pumpkin are the best! But I like most chocolate. Milk duds, milky way. M&ms. I have a sweet tooth, for sure.

Grossest candy? Candy corn is 🤮

Favorite costume you wore growing up? One year, i dressed up as an oven.

Favorite Halloween/scary movie? Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus
  • Halloween: love it or hate it? OMG I LOVE HALLOWEEN SO MUCH!!! I was SO sad it was cancelled last year. I HOPE things stay safe enough to take DS trick or treating this year!

Favorite candy? KitKat, coffee crisp, mars bar, Skittles, fuzzy peaches, sour patch kids, bags of chips haha.

Grossest candy? Anything with peanut.

Favorite costume you wore growing up? Probably...the witch haha. My mom made all the clothing parts, I had the cool pointy hat, and painted my face green.

Hocus Pocus is the best Halloween movie ever. I always watch it while carving pumpkins, and then again on Halloween.
    DH doesn't like scary movies, but my sister and I have a list to watch this October: Scream, I am Legend, Dawn of the dead, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm street, The Purge (watched 2 nights ago). And there are several others, but those are the priorities haha

Love, love, love it! Our house literally looks like a haunted house (we have some professional props) and we tend to take first place in decorating competitions. Up until I started working in banking I also worked at a haunted house season after season. 
    Favorite candy?
    Candy apples? I'm not a huge candy person and would rather hand it out to little ones.
    Grossest candy?
    Gonna get some flak...I don't like most chocolate bar types (snickers, milky way, etc) and of course the dreaded black licorice.
    Does 2019 count? My (at the time, now husband) boyfriend and I were Rocky and Frank-n-Furter. I was fem Rocky with a gold corset! Also excited for this year - we watch Wynonna Earp so I'm pregnant Wynonna and hubby is Doc Holliday.
    All of them? Beetlejuice tends to be my go-to though.
    Eh, I’m pretty neutral. I don’t hate it, but I also don’t go all out for it. 
    Favorite candy? 
    Anything that isn’t sour!
    Grossest candy? 
    Sour anything 🥴
    I have very fond memories of my Princess Jasmine costume! My husband’s favorite Disney moving growing up was Aladdin too! 🥰
    I loved Halloweentown! I am too much of a scaredy cat for scary movies - I get nightmares so easily!
    Love it
    Favorite candy? Swedish fish, Mike & Ike, Reese Cup
    Grossest candy? White chocolate 
    I won best costume as a witch once when I was 8
    I'm a chicken.   I don't like scary movies , but my favorite Halloween movie is Hocus Pocus