March 2022 Moms

What are you watching, reading, or listening to? Week of 9/19

This is a thread to share the books, movies, TV shows, and podcasts that you are watching, reading, and listening to and look for suggestions. 

Re: What are you watching, reading, or listening to? Week of 9/19

• I’ve been trying to kick my addiction to murder mystery podcasts and listen to programs that feel a little more educational, like BBCs ‘Thinking Allowed’ or ‘The Daily’, or Esther Perel’s ‘Where should we begin?”. Anyone have any recommendations for podcasts that feel both entertaining and educational?

As far as books go, I recently reread Johnathan Franzen’s ‘Freedom’ which was a mistake haha. I think he’s brilliant but it put me in kind of a bleak, somber mood for ~ a full day. I did love Salley Rooney’s new novel, ‘Beautiful World, Where Are You’. It didn’t hook me quite like Normal People, but I still really enjoyed it. 
  • @djunaw13 also completely addicted to true crime podcasts: Crime Junkie, Unraveled, Dr. Death, Root of Evil, OC Swingers, Counter Clock, Up and Vanished, Park Predators, and Something Was Wrong are ones I have finished or am still following.

We are currently watching Only Murders in the Building on Hulu and love. 

Am almost finished with book 3 of the Shadow & Bone series by Leigh Bardugo. It’s a young adult series and Netflix released season 1 of the show this year based on Book #1. Only have a few hundred pages left until book 3 is finished and am going to be so sad. Such a good series.
  • Loading the player...
  • Podcasts - For years I have been following Oprah Super Soul, The School of Greatness (Lewis Howes) and the Tim Ferris Show. 

Books - I have been all non-fiction for years, but the extra time COVID gave us introduced fiction back into my life. Right now I just finished the Paper Palace. I am looking for another good fiction read to jump into - we leave for a vacation on Friday. Non-fiction wise, I am reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle 

Shows/Movies: DH and I are going through a 90s thriller phase - so every saturday night is now filled with 90s gems, which has been fun. Other than that I watched the documentary Lularich yesterday while I meal-prepped and did laundry for the week. 
  • Just finished up the Harry Potter series. I loved the books when I was younger but hadn't read them in like 15 years. Remembered how Snape was my sexual awakening in middle school, I had the major hots for that guy. Once met JK Rowling when I was 13 or so and hounded her about getting a girlfriend for Snape because I truly thought if only he could find love, he would turn into a nice guy. JK thought I was crazy.

Now I've been binging kid stuff. I'm super outdoorsy, so right now it's all about kids & nature. "Grow Wild" by Katy Bowman is what I'm currently working through, and I've been listening to podcasts about nature school, nature therapy for kids, etc.

I'm also working my way through Jocko podcast, which is definitely NOT targeting towards 35 year old pregnant moms, ha. But it's super motivating for me.

This isn't a podcast or book, but I have been obsessing over the Murdaugh murders. What. The. Eff.
  • I read a lot...like....a lot. I'm still working my way through the Outlander books, which I'm loving, but there are so many that I take breaks to read other things in between. Plus I watched the show before I knew it was based on books, so since I already know most of what is going to happen there isn't the urgency to know what comes next like there normally is when I read something. I'm into historical fiction right now so looking to start a King James trilogy I think it is that my sister recommended. But I think I'm going to go back to Outlander for a while first. I also like finding any movies or TV shows based on books and reading the books first. I think the books are almost always better than the movies/shows. 
  • @Panaceia you would really like the Shadow & Bone series. Outlander is on my list to start eventually.
  • @thebirdgirl86 forgive me, I’m just freaking out about the fact that you met JK Rowling!!!! 
  • I am embarrassed to say that I never read, but I do watch a lot of TV 😂. We are rewatching The Knick right now. An oldie but goodie. 

@thebirdgirl86 the Murdaugh murders are wild ! I can't wait for the eventual Lifetime movie lol (not really funny since this is real people and all, but it is just so crazy). 
  • @night_nurse I'll add it to my list! I'll start it next!!!
  • ugh i love to read but i only read management books at the moment. Im in the middle of "radical candor" right now. I want to get back into fiction. My last maternity leave i did a good amount of reading, so i'm hopeful to get back into it. 

For watching, we are also watching only murders in the building and it's so good. we are also a little more than halfway through the sopranos, for the first time ever! I get all the hype lol. I'm really into mafia stuff for some reason. I am the kind of person who only likes to read/watch one thing at a time, but MH is the opposite, he gets bored and likes to bounce around then we never fully finish anything. it drives me nuts. 

• We’ve started rewatching every episode of the X Files too on hulu whenever we cant pick what to watch. On season 4 already. It’s so easy to watch and well written. Some episodes are a little campy but overall it’s the best.
  • @morgantu I read Radical Candor when I first started managing a few years ago. It was very helpful! Definitely worth the read. Luckily I don't manage anyone in my new role...those were hard times lol. 
  • @kgg2241 I was new to management AND new to healthcare. And COVID hit when I was 6 months in my position. It has been so brutal. 
  • Rewatching Dexter to get ready for the new season
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @gembud Dexter has a new season????? Where can I find this????
  • @Panaceia yes, they made a season 9!! It’s premiering November 7! Loving the rewatch right now, and I also never watched the last season so excited to see that too
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I feel like all of you have such amazing tastes and I’m out here watching Batman The Animated Series for childhood nostalgia. Lol
  • I’m also reading Shadow and Bone! I read the other series first, Six of Crows and I loved it. Right now, I’m watching Sex Education on Netflix. Love it!
  • @araceli19 I will have to look up Six of Crow. I love Shadow & Bone so much
  • We just started The Lost Symbol last night (Dan Brown story, like Da Vinci code) which we like so far. We will probably start rewatching Succession to prep for the new season. 

I’m in a book club on Marco Polo (sounds weird but it works) and our Sept book is The Magic of Found Objects so I’ll start that this week. I’m about 2/3 done with The Four Winds so want to finish that first. I had a goal to read 25 books this year and I’m currently at 22 so I’m ahead of schedule! 
  • We just started watching "The Other Two" on HBO. The first two episodes were hilarious. There are two seasons, and each episode runs less than 30 min. Seems like an easy show to binge! Also watching Ted Lasso Season 2.

The next show I'm planning on watching is The Morning Show, season 2!

• I love listening to books on tape while at work since reading with small children is futile. I'm between books right now and always love a new suggestion. I listened to podcasts previously but prefer books atm. LOVED true crime podcasts though when I listened to them. 

As for shows, MH and I are currently rewatching Supernatural. *Swoon* Jensen Ackles is 100% my hall pass. On said Supernatural kick I listened to Kansas radio on I❤️radio today at work. It was glorious! my boss thought there was something wrong with me. Reminded me of being a kid and being in the car with my dad. Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc all the classics. There was a total of like 3 songs that played all day that I didn't know 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @faithmovesmountains dude, I regularly feel nostalgic and watch Cartoon Planet, my favorite show from childhood.

If you don't know what Cartoon Planet was, basically in the 90s a group of like 23 year old dudes took old footage from the Space Ghost cartoon from the 60s and dubbed over it with complete and total nonsense. It's heaven. 
  • Made some brownies to watch the new season of great British baking show tonight. Crazy Friday night for me