High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Help - diagnosed with pre-gestational diabetes and on meds

I’ve been diagnosed with pre-gestational diabetes during my 1st trimester.

I’m currently 29w3d and am scheduled to deliver at 39w.

I was on Metformin up until 12 weeks then 2 weeks later I took the 1 hour glucose test. I decided to be put on insulin over Metformin and for my entire 2nd trimester I had all kinds of side effects to where I could barely function daily so I stopped the Insulin and am considering Metformin but been told it crosses the placenta?

Anyone else pregnant with pre-gestational diabetes and on either Metformin or Insulin?

Any side effects from having been on Metformin?

Was baby delivered healthy for those who were on Metformin?

Not sure what to do.

Re: Help - diagnosed with pre-gestational diabetes and on meds

• Options
    <-- work in peds

Metformin is actually considered fairly safe during pregnancy and associated with positive neonatal outcomes (lower risk of increased size/weight in particular). The major con to metformin is that it has a very high chance of not being effective and the patient needs to be switched to insulin, which is associated with risks for the neonate, including higher incidence of congenital malformations, etc. It is unclear, currently, whether the risks are due to the insulin or simply correlated to diabetic mothers in general.

What is important is controlling your blood sugar, however you need to do it. Babies of moms with poorly controlled blood sugar often suffer from hypoglycemia at birth which can cause apnea, seizures, and cyanosis (baby is blue due to poor oxygenation) among other conditions. 
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Options
    Hi.  I was diagnosed with GD at 14 weeks this time. I took glyburide instead of metformin with #1 and it tanked my blood sugar into the 60s in the middle of the day so I switched to insulin. This time around, I went straight to insulin. My amounts change weekly and MFM asks for a sugar log weekly to make adjustments. They are more than willing to find a solution that works for you (for me, I take a large dose of long acting insulin and have a sliding scale for my short acting for meals). They just want you controlled to make sure baby is ok. Talk to your dr about concerns you have. They’ll work with you.