January 2022 Moms
Options

Covid

2»

Re: Covid

• Options
    @blackhottamales I feel ya on the family issues...covid has caused a lot of drama with H's family, mainly because they continued living their lives as though there was no pandemic and were not understanding of our decision to isolate from them. We've been much more relaxed with them since H and I have gotten fully vaccinated, but I feel like we need to start setting our expectations now so it's not a huge shock come January. I still don't feel fully comfortable having the unvaxxed members of H's family around our kids, but we've allowed it for the sake of saving relationships (fortunately, H and I have been totally on the same page). It's just so maddening that we feel like the villains in this situation and have had to compromise on our children's health for their sake. We will also be requiring grandparents to get the tDap and probably all people coming to visit the flu shot. 
  • Options
    No disrespect and you do what works best for your family. But I couldn't tell my in laws not to visit unless vaccinated. They are but if they weren't I wouldn't stop them from visting. Especially since they help with our children so much. By that logic if someone is vaccinated but has children under 12 are you goimg to say the parents can visit but not the children? Also. Are we not putting our children at risk Every time we leave the house? Groceries, doctors, school, and any other place we might have to go that we can't leave our children at home? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not let unvaccinated family members visit. 
    Luckily, all of my family members eligible are vaccinated, however, we live 900kms away from them, so visits will be few and far between. 
    When I was pregnant with my son, I had my parents get vaccinated with Tdap. 
    Everyone we know and associate with in our community are vaccinated. 
    @Lisa3379 has it right. It's about reducing exposures. 
    We don't bring our son out to public places often (though there is currently 1 active case in our county, so chances are really quite low), but he is in a private, in-home daycare with 4 other kids. 

People need to be vaccinated. That's the only way out of this pandemic. 
    #ilovescience
  • Options
    We’re not letting anyone visit that isn’t vaccinated - especially in January. We’ll probably piss some people off but there’s no one that has a legit medical reason not to get vaccinated so it’s on them if they want to visit.
  • Options
    @elksamm exactly. 
    It's not on you if someone gets butt-hurt that they aren't allowed to visit your vulnerable baby. 
    They made their bed, now they can lie in it. 
  • Options
    Just in my OB’s practice alone there are two unvaccinated pregnant women seriously hospitalized with Covid. One had to deliver at 32 weeks and the other is on a ventilator. Just a reminder we are all immunocompromised being pregnant. 

• Options

@AshleyGemini24 No disrespect taken at all! All our family live far away so if they visit they would be staying with us.  I also know they will want to hold and kiss my children. We aren't in a situation where the family helps us with day-to-day items.  As I mentioned in my post above, I said we require >12 to be vaccinated in our home.  Our nieces visited last weekend who are not eligible for the covid vaccine yet and they stayed at our home. Our biggest risk is sending DS to daycare.  DS doesn't go grocery shopping and we currently aren't eating in restaurants.  As @Lisa3379 it's mitigating and calculating risks.  

• Options
    The way I see it -- if my in-laws make the choice to refuse a vaccination with no medical reason, then they themselves are making the choice not to see my newborn. I know we will be perceived as being "selfish," but I find it incredibly selfish that my FIL would not take a simple step to--if not protect himself--protect his grandchildren. As far as children <12, I'm really hoping the vaccine is available to younger children by January. Otherwise, H and I will have to decide how we'll proceed--we've talked about allowing unvaccinated children of our family members to come see the baby, but to wear a mask and keep a safe distance. 
  • Options
    angiemac9angiemac9 member
    edited August 2021
    @blackhottamales We do the same with our DS. We basically only go to the grocery store and wear masks. Unfortunately, DS does not go anywhere other than daycare - but that’s a gamble we have no choice but taking :/
  • Options
    @nik012 Nice! Glad you got your first dose, and sorry your arm hurt so bad. Mine did too with the second dose, and my lymph nodes in my armpit were swollen for a couple days. Yay for feeling better today! 
  • Options
    nik012 said:
    I bit the bullet and got the vaccine! I had this overwhelming feeling that if I didn't I would be wishing I had in the near future. My arm hurt so bad that I could hardly move it for a day and I also felt very tired and achy for a day. Feeling much better today. Now to wait for my 2nd dose in a month. 
    Best news I heard all day! 
  • Options
    That’s a great decision @nik012! And glad to hear you felt better the next day. 
    My husband just came back from the coffee shop down the block. He and another woman noticed two escaped dogs running around and got them to sit with them while they called animal control. While they were waiting with the dogs, they started chatting. The woman is a respiratory nurse at VCU hospital. Just got off her night shift. She told him they’ve had to, several times now, immediately put people on ventilators when they come in, then do emergency cesarians right after. I couldn’t imagine being told I’m going to be placed into a coma basically, put on a ventilator, then my baby will be born without me there, and that they don’t know how long I would be on the ventilator. Terrible but preventable circumstances.
  • Options
    @MrsJessS I don't think that's selfish at all. I felt similarly getting vaccinated before I was pregnant, with a lot of people questioning me and what it might do to my fertility and any future child (of course, we know that the vaccine is safe in regards to that and that getting Covid itself can actually affect your fertility). I couldn't live and plan my life around some future child who might never come into existence - I was the one who was alive, and if I got sick and died, I couldn't be a mother anyway, so...

I'm glad you're getting the shot! I hope you have minimal side effects.
  • Options
    @MrsJessS Makes a lot of sense to me, and I don't think it's selfish either. Not that I was really on the fence regarding the vaccine, but the thought of my kids losing me because I was scared I couldn't get pregnant again just made no sense to me either. Hopefully your side effects aren't too bad! Make sure to hydrate well before and after. I think that helped us avoid feeling too bad afterward. My MIL was pretty wiped out after her first shot and her theory was that she was dehydrated, and sure enough, she hydrated well before her second shot and barely had any effects. Also could've been a coincidence, but hey, hydration is good anyway, so why not try?  :D
  • Options
    firewife_911firewife_911 member
    edited September 2021
    I got the vaccine a couple months before I found out I was even pregnant. I was very concerned at first, but my doctor reassured me I would be okay. I do not think i’ll be getting the booster though, especially during pregnancy. Just personal opinion & I really don’t want to get extra injections while pregnant.  I felt sick for a week after I got the second dose and I don’t want to feel like that again, but we will see. i’d like to see where the world is after I have the baby. At least i’m vaccinated 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    A friend/former coworker of mine told me this summer that she thinks all the "Covid-hype" is just a bunch of nonsense and she doesn't think it's anything serious. 

Just yesterday she got admitted to the hospital for low oxygen levels. She tested positive a couple days ago.  The night before she got her positive results, she actually thought she was dying and didn't think she'd make it through the night. All 3 of her kids and her husband are sick too. (so far only 1 has confirmed tested positive). This virus is no.joke.
    DS: 3-6-15 💙
    Baby Girl Due: 1-1-22
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @magalina_h, I’m sorry to hear this about your friend and her family. SMH, it did not have to be this way for them and many others. I hope they all recover and find themselves better informed with love, compassion, and respect for the frontline workers taking care of her right now.