Trying to Get Pregnant

IF Testing & Treatment w/o 8.30

This is a place for those of us who have already started TTC, but have started infertility testing and/or treatments. You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on infertility. TTC can be a long journey naturally, then add in the difficulties associated with infertility, and it becomes a whole new ball game. The road to infertility can be lonely, frustrating, and complicated, so let's make this a place where we can vent, ask questions, and support one another. Feel free to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say. Treat this as an ongoing conversation.

Diagnosis (if you've been):  

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?):  

How are things going?:  

Any questions?:  

GTKY: Are you an early bird or a night owl?

29 inspiring quotes to remember when trying to conceive - Motherly
*TW* History:
Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
Repeat labs in 8 weeks
Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
TTC put on pause

Re: IF Testing & Treatment w/o 8.30

• @laura-kay just saying I feel ya and i'm so sorry. i may or may not be finding myself in a similar position (and i'm already well into being 38, so...). it really seems to come down to how long it feels sustainable to continue flinging yourself at the wall. regarding age, as all of our experiences on here demonstrate, for some people that decline in fertility begins earlier, for some later. 35 or 38 or 40 are all just average points in a soup of individuals' numbers and experiences. your particular trajectory on that slope of fertility is impossible to know, but likely does not follow exactly the average slope. i guess what that means is, don't let that external calendar be the decision-maker, but rather your inner sense of what feels like the right thing.
    History
    I am doing this on my own. Left ovary and fallopian tube removed due to cyst/necrosis just after birth. Right ovary and tube still purport to function.
    Began TTC in Aug '18 @ age 35
    5 or 6 (or 7?!) cycles using frozen donor sperm, ICI. All BFN
    Mar-Jun '19 IUIs, all BFN
    Began process of referral for RE in spring of '19, blood tests confirm low AMH (.54) but all else is good.
    May '19 HSG shows open tube, but ultrasound suggests fibroids
    MRI in June '19 confirms two large fibroids, one growing through wall of uterus
    In June '19 I move from California to Oregon, disrupting my insurance, referrals, etc. 5 months spent piecing it all back together.
    Nov. '19 attempted myomectomy (vaginal approach) failed. 2nd surgery using laparoscopic method in Jan '20 is successful.
    April '20 --> June '20, natural IUIs, all BFN.
    July? saline ultrasound and bubble test demonstrate open tube
    July '20 clomid cycle cancelled for thin lining
    Aug-Oct, 3 femara cycles, all BFN
    RE referral. While waiting to set up an appointment Nov-Jan,I continue with natural cycles and ICI, using a known donor, BFN...
    Jan '21 more bloodwork, AMH is worse (.30), FSH high albeit not catastrophic at 13.2. hysteroscopy all good. "looks cozy!" says the RE.
    Feb '21, injectables (menopur, novarel), iui, BFN (doc said the frozen donor sperm sample had the "best numbers she'd ever seen!")
    Mar '21, injectables, iui cancelled due to lack of follicles, converted to at home-insem. BFN
    May '21, first IVF round cancelled due to cyst.
    July '21 IVF: standard antagonist. 225menupur/225gonal-f/cetrotide/5000u trigger, AFC 7; 6 days of stims. 8 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilize, 4 made it to blast. 3 are 4AB, 1 is 4BB. PGT-A results all abnormal.
    Oct '21 somewhat improved AMH (.51) and significantly improved FSH (8.9). Maybe it's all the pills I swallow.
    Dec -21, standard antagonist. 225menupur/225gonal-f/cetrotide/5000u trigger, AFC 5; 11 days of stims. retrieval yields 5, 4M, 2 reach day-6 blast (4AB & 4BB). 1 low-level mosaic (chr. 3 deletion), 1 complex abnormal.
    Feb '22 FET (low-level mosaic): CP.
    May '22 egg retrieval, lupron flare protocol. HGH priming for 1 month before stims; md lupron 20/20u daily; menopur 225, follistim 225, 10k trigger after 8 days of stims; AFC 10; 13 retrieved; 10 mature; 8 fertilized. All frozen at 2PN for later thaw, grow, and biopsy.
    July '22 egg retrieval same protocol: 9 days of stims; AFC 8; 10 retrieved, 8 mature, 4 fertilized and frozen.
    Sept '22 ER same protocol: AFC 10; 12 retrieved, 11 mature, 11 fertilized.
    From the 3 retrievals, 7 survived to day 5-6 blastocyst, from which I have 2 normal embryos!
    Jan 20, Fully medicated FET, baby aspirin, dexamethasone, acupuncture, and as much woo as I can stand (which isn't very much). BFN.
    July 23, Natural FET + baby aspirin. BFN.
  • Loading the player...
  • Newly returned to the bump recently.

Diagnosis (if you've been): unexplained infertility, recurrent pregnancy loss, uterine septum (surgically removed), one ovary removed due to a teratoma

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA): CD15, so possibly just starting TWW. I had no +OPK yet this cycle, so it's hard to know for sure.

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): OPKs and regular sex. I have my first phone consult with CNY Fertility tomorrow. VERY EXCITED! I think we'll end up moving forward with IVF.

How are things going?: Very grateful for getting a consult at CNY quickly. Usually that takes 5-6 months, but I called last week and got one this week!

Any questions?: All the IVF/med questions, but hopefully will have more clarity on those after tomorrow's consult.

GTKY: Are you an early bird or a night owl? Morning person here, no coffee needed!
  • @tinfoilhats heeeeeeey fellow one-ovary-haver! this is totally my lucky week in terms of finding some compatriots in my various ttc-journey peculiarities. how long has it been since your ovary was removed?
    History
    I am doing this on my own. Left ovary and fallopian tube removed due to cyst/necrosis just after birth. Right ovary and tube still purport to function.
    Began process of referral for RE in spring of '19, blood tests confirm low AMH (.54) but all else is good.
    In June '19 I move from California to Oregon, disrupting my insurance, referrals, etc. 5 months spent piecing it all back together.
    Nov. '19 attempted myomectomy (vaginal approach) failed. 2nd surgery using laparoscopic method in Jan '20 is successful.
    RE referral. While waiting to set up an appointment Nov-Jan,I continue with natural cycles and ICI, using a known donor, BFN...
    Jan '21 more bloodwork, AMH is worse (.30), FSH high albeit not catastrophic at 13.2. hysteroscopy all good. "looks cozy!" says the RE.
    Feb '21, injectables (menopur, novarel), iui, BFN (doc said the frozen donor sperm sample had the "best numbers she'd ever seen!")
    Mar '21, injectables, iui cancelled due to lack of follicles, converted to at home-insem. BFN
    July '21 IVF: standard antagonist. 225menupur/225gonal-f/cetrotide/5000u trigger, AFC 7; 6 days of stims. 8 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, 5 fertilize, 4 made it to blast. 3 are 4AB, 1 is 4BB. PGT-A results all abnormal.
    Oct '21 somewhat improved AMH (.51) and significantly improved FSH (8.9). Maybe it's all the pills I swallow.
    Dec -21, standard antagonist. 225menupur/225gonal-f/cetrotide/5000u trigger, AFC 5; 11 days of stims. retrieval yields 5, 4M, 2 reach day-6 blast (4AB & 4BB). 1 low-level mosaic (chr. 3 deletion), 1 complex abnormal.
    May '22 egg retrieval, lupron flare protocol. HGH priming for 1 month before stims; md lupron 20/20u daily; menopur 225, follistim 225, 10k trigger after 8 days of stims; AFC 10; 13 retrieved; 10 mature; 8 fertilized. All frozen at 2PN for later thaw, grow, and biopsy.
    July '22 egg retrieval same protocol: 9 days of stims; AFC 8; 10 retrieved, 8 mature, 4 fertilized and frozen.
    From the 3 retrievals, 7 survived to day 5-6 blastocyst, from which I have 2 normal embryos!
    Jan 20, Fully medicated FET, baby aspirin, dexamethasone, acupuncture, and as much woo as I can stand (which isn't very much). BFN.
  • @optimisticgardener Hi!! My laparoscopy to remove the ovary/tumor was in December 2016. Now I just have lefty. How about you?
  • @tinfoilhats I'm a righty and have been that way since a couple of days after I was born (way back in 1983). I'll be curious to learn more about what your RE says about your situation and recommends for stimulation,etc.
    History
  • @laura-kay *sending you all the hugs* I am sorry that you're feeling that you're at the end of your journey. It sounds like IVF is not a route you'd like to go down. My only suggestion would be to seek out a functional medicine doctor. They're not cheap, but it might be the missing piece in getting pregnant naturally. 

@tinfoilhats welcome back to IF thread on TB, the shittiest, but most supportive club ever. I can't believe you were able to get a consult with CNY so quickly! Good luck tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Ask any questions you have once you've had your consult. We've got quite the knowledgeable crew here. 

@optimistgardener when do you start teaching? 

Diagnosis (if you've been): Officially: unexplained (aka a big middle finger from the medical world); Unofficially: Hashimoto's, wandering sperm, AMA. 

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  WTO 

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?):  had our post-ER consult last week, now just riding out this cycle naturally (will likely be our last one ever...) and then back to a retrieval next cycle

How are things going?:  Good-ish! This is likely going to be a novel, so I'll likely spoiler a bunch of stuff: 

I also had a GREAT follow-up convo with our doc last week. So, it turns out that one of our embryos is actually a low-level mosaic (chrom: 21). However, the the genetic testing company the clinic uses (Natera), doesn’t have a mosaic section. It just provides a confidence level, but they're all listed in the "Normal" section.

So, we've decided to go ahead with another retrieval next cycle (skipping this cycle to allow my body proper rest). With only 2 euploid embryos, I'm just not sure that we'll get the 6-7 euploid embryos we'd feel comfortable with for our family size. Plus, insurance really incentivizes fertilizing exiting eggs with another retrieval. 

In terms of stim plan, we're basically going to do the same protocol as last time (so, a mid-luteal protocol). I figured – if it's not broken – don't fix it. Sure, it'd be nice to get a few more of my follicles responding, but considering I've proved to be an excellent study of "quality over quantity", but I'm comfortable with rince-repeating. The only adjustment my RE wanted to making is lowering my starting dose from 300 to 225, but we negotiated and agreed on still starting with 300, and dropping to 225 earlier (on Day 4 vs Day 7). We'll keep HGH and PICSI as part of the protocol even though he doesn't think it does us much good. But once again, I'm not going to touch anything that's worked so well in the past.

And finally, MH and I did some "back of the envelope" calculations, and – if all goes well with our retrieval in October (which let's face it, it may not) – then we'll likely be doing a transfer early in the new year. Which sounds a horribly long time away, but I've learned that rushing things only causes more delays. 

More details about each of the above in spoiler. 
    On genetic testing results: 
    The doc said that, in his experience getting those results from Natera, 1/13 of the transferred embryos that implanted had confirmed trisomy 21. He's offered us the option to re-biopsy and re-test the day before a potential transfer; another genetic testing company offers 24-hr turnaround time. I just wasn't sure if he also meant that the embryo would be kept unfrozen at the same time? I dunno... how long does an unfrozen embryo survive before it needs to be transferred? Thaw-biopsy-refreeze-rethaw apparently reduces the embryo's viability by 10-15%, so we don't necessarily want to do that. Anyways, this wouldn't be the embryo we'd start with so it's moot point to think about what to do with it. 

On how silly insurance companies are:
    Progyny has this smart cycles system. It would cost 0.5 of a smart cycle to fertilize, biopsy, test, and freeze existing eggs. And it only costs 0.75 of a cycle to do an IVF freeze-all round. And fertilizing existing eggs along with an IVF freeze-all round is an additional $550. So, I essentially save 0.5 of cycles, which I can then use for 2 transfers (each transfer is 0.25 of a cycle). Makes no sense to me, but I don't make up those rules; I just follow them. 

On our transfer plan: 
    We also agreed on doing a "mock modified natural start" cycle, just to make sure my hormones are at the right levels. My clinic doesn't believe in medicated FETs (at least not to start with); they like to harness the power of the body to do the hormone production (E2/P4). When talking about ERA and Receptiva Dx, the doctor doesn't feel those tests have enough unbiased research to make them worthwhile. In the case of ERA, he's mentioned that he's aware that the company has opted to not publish findings contradictory to their testing. And in the case of ReceptivaDx, he mentioned that those tests are very sensitive to the lab environment and have demonstrated inability to reproduce the same test results. I definitely know that the ERA test is controversial; but I haven't really dug into ReceptivaDx. We also discussed putting me on BCP before a transfer, to "quite things down" so that my ovaries don't respond to Letrazole like they usually do... by producing a follicle ready to ovulate in 10 days or less which doesn't give any time for lining to develop. And I'll also likely be taking Endometrin to make sure progesterone levels are adequate. Overall, happy with this plan. 

Any questions?: Noppers

GTKY: Are you an early bird or a night owl? I've been an early bird since birth and I like it fine that way. I do have to go to sleep at around 9:30 though. Haha. My dog turned out to be an early bird too. Very convenient!
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2
    Me: 40.5; MH: 39 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #2 ... preparing as of March 2024

TTC #1
    Me: 36, MH: 34 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    2009 | Dx PCOS; likely a misdiagnosis
    07/14/20 | Dx Hashimoto's Thyroditis
    07/21/20 | 1st RE appointment
    07/2120 - 08/20/20 | so much testing; no signs of PCOS
    08/20/20 | Dx Unexplained; AMA
    09/08/20 | IUI #1 Clomid + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    09/30/20 | Urology consult; more testing required
    10/2020 | Clomid + OPK + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    11/26/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Menopur) + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    01/14/2021 | Combo IUI (Letrazole + Menopur) + Trigger | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/07/2021 | Natural cycle while we regroup | BFN
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/10/2021 | New RE consult & plan for IVF
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    12/20/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + Pregmune Immunology Testing; BFN
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022
    05/20/2022 | D&C; recovering... 
    06/21/2022 | Trying naturally until October 2022
    07/21/2022 | BFP! EDD 04/02/2023; 👦🏼 born on 4/5/2023

• edited August 2021
    @acleverusername So glad you had a good follow-up with your doc. It sounds like a workable plan is beginning to form! Thanks for all the deets on your transfer plan. I'm interested to hear the doc's opinion about the receptiva and ERA stuff. I've read a bit about those tests and have always had question about them.
    To answer your question, I start in late september, but we recently learned that our first few weeks will be online.
    spoilering because long and also covid stuff in case anyone is over reading about it.
    i'm torn between cursing, because i am really not excited about having to learn how to navigate zoom teaching as a newb when everyone else has been doing it for 18 months already (my last time in a classroom was spring of 19 in those innocent days of yore), and being grateful that i actually work for a university that cares enough about its employees and students to make hard decisions. Covid rates are really high in our region, and the idea is that the extra few weeks online will allow the university to push students and faculty to get vaccinated, so that when we return to campus only vaccinated students will be allowed to remain enrolled in in-person courses. the extra few weeks online will also hopefully allow our regional hospitals to try to get past their current situation (which is dire) without a bunch of covid-positive college kids adding to their difficulties.
    Diagnosis (if you've been):  old, one ovary, bad eggs
    Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  technically post ovulatory, i think, but really benched.
    What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?): i'm going to be bench-warming for a very long time. I'm being a good girl and taking my supplements.
    How are things going?: just fine. i have a family member visiting and so i'm extra busy, which is good? i guess? and i am freaking out about work-related things. I think i commented over in the benched thread this morning that it's very weird to experience a natural cycle again after many months on either birth control or stims. I think(?) I ovulated yesterday, on a freakishly early CD10. I hope that does not repeat itself next month because such an early O day really weirds me out.
    Any questions?:  Not for now.
    GTKY: Are you an early bird or a night owl? Early bird all the way. My mom used to come in and shame me if I wasn't out of bed before 7 every day, and as a result I've never been able to sleep much past 6:30. Apart from all the guilt I apparently haul around about respectable wakeup times, I really enjoy being up before everyone else, and having an hour or so to drink coffee and read the internet and feel no obligations to anyone or anything before the rest of the world wakes up.
    History
  • Diagnosis (if you've been):  PCOS

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  TWW!!

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?):  Gonal-F, Ovidrel, progesterone

How are things going?:  Well TB wouldn’t let me log in last week to comment... it let me read but not comment anything! So my update from the past week....
    The Gonal-F worked! I took 50 units a day from Friday through Thursday and developed 1 and maayyybe a second that could have caught up. My lining finally thickened up and gave the trilaminar look that it was lacking after both oral med rounds. I triggered late on Thursday and I start progesterone tonight! 
    I hate how antsy that I get to test even though I know I’ll only show the trigger for another 7-10 days 😂

I just started my new position this week so I’ll be busy getting adjusted to this new company and new role!

Any questions?:  natm

GTKY: Are you an early bird or a night owl? Early bird all the way. 9pm is late and 6:30am is sleeping in for me. I’ve been more of an early bird since college, but my jobs have always been in manufacturing so I haven’t had a job that starts after 7am!
  • Diagnosis (if you've been): Unexplained, possibly endometriosis   

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  WTO

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?):  Just had our consultation. Unfortunately we can’t do testing this cycle because of a vacation, so we’ll have to wait for my next cycle.

How are things going?: It’s weird to be back here. We took a few years off of TTC to pursue adoption instead of IF treatment. I became okay with the fact that I might never get pregnant, so it’s just kind of weird to consider the possibility again.

Any questions?:  Have any of you had a hysteroscopy? I had an HSG when I did testing a few years ago, but this time my doctor wants to do a hysteroscopy. No idea what to expect in terms of pain level, recovery, etc.

GTKY: Are you an early bird or a night owl? Not really either, but more of an early bird than a night owl.
  • edited September 2021
    hey there @britters314 welcome! my RE did a hysteroscopy for me in January. I imagine that it is different for every woman, but I was impressed by how easy it was. I told the doc I have a super sensitive cervix (I had to get a cone biopsy a couple of years back after an irregular pap smear and i screamed bloody murder through that), so he gave me a numbing shot in advance and I didn't feel anything at all. He let me watch the video as he looked around, which was pretty cool. There wasn't really any recovery to speak of for me. I didn't take any medication and I was good to drive myself home a few minutes later.
    History
  • @britters314 I remember you from back in 2015/2016! How did the adoption journey/process go? I looked into that a few years ago and was amazed at how crazy it seemed! 

I have had two hysteroscopy procedures. My clinic puts you in the twilight anesthesia during it so I was essentially asleep during it and didn’t have any notable pain during recover. Just a day or two of average cramps. 
  • @optimistgardener same about being awake before everyone else. I also love getting up that early on the weekends and by the time 12pm rolls around, I've already been hyper productive and can slow down. It's an amazing feeling. Did you confirm ovulation? I would agree CD10 is freakishly early. Btw, I've been thinking about you and was wondering... could sperm have played a role in your failed IVF cycle? 

@mokay19 yay! So happy that gonal-f worked! What's your new job? I like to say I'm an early bird, but hearing someone say that "6:30 is sleeping in for me" just puts me to shame! There's something weird with being up when it's still dark outside. 

@britters314 welcome back to TB. May I ask why you didn't consider fertility treatments the last time around? I hope the IUI process works for you. Is the hysteroscopy going to check fro endometriosis? 

MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022

• @acleverusername I thought about that also. I know that my sperm bank has very high standards in terms of the quality of sperm they'll accept, but just to be on the safe side I'll choose a different donor for my next attempt. I've also been mulling over the thing people often say about over-stimulation damaging egg quality. I am not convinced that this is actually a thing, and am also hesitant to ask for a reduction in my dosage since the doc seems happy with them and I'd prefer not to reduce my recruitment rates, but still... I wonder. Especially since I stimmed so very fast.
    History
  • @acleverusername I’m working as a quality engineer at a manufacturing facility! And I have a weird enjoyment in being up before the sun 😂
  • Hi friends. Tagging while off of wifi so hopefully my comments are still relevant when I get back on wifi & this thread updates. 

@laura-kay I am so sorry you’re feeling so down about your timeline. It is definitely a hard feeling to sit with when you fear that the end is near. I’ve been right where you are, and the ladies here picked my spirits up when I thought there might be nowhere left to go TTC-wise. @optimistgardener has a good perspective: the statistics are what they are, but that doesn’t mean you fall smack dab in the center of those statistics. And I surely don’t want to be annoying or dismiss your concerns, because your perception is your reality. But rest assured that many many women are only just beginning to have their children around ages 38-40. I’ve heard that the biggest drop-off in female fertility in general is after the 42nd year. So you have time!💕 Please refresh my memory: are you doing IUIs with your OB or an RE? If you have an RE there are many things they can check for to see what might keep you from having success naturally if IVF isn’t an option. Have you had much testing? (Endometriosis, endometritis, silent endometriosis, fibroids, polyps, whacky hormone levels, blood-clotting mutations, PCOS, MTHFR, and checking the shape/health of the uterus and tubes with SHG, HSG, and hysteroscopy—these seem to be the most common things to get tested for first before going really deep.) Vent and ask away here about anything—we are here to support each other through these tough times.💗

@tinfoilhats Welcome! I’m so eager to hear how your consult went with CNY! They were one of my top options when I’d run out of insurance coverage for IVF. But my consult with Dr.Kiltz turned out to be really surprising: 40 minutes of straight lecture about how I’d never ever be successful unless I switched to his BEBBI Keto diet. He really turned me off. However, I hear that lots of women have success once they switch to keto, and many have success at CNY. I ended up at a comparably-priced clinic in Mexico that feels very personal (just across the border from San Diego). I have a friend that also went to CNY for quite some time without success and now goes to the clinic in MX. Many American women go there and have success after not having good results in the US. Also, it’s closer to me than any CNY location. What general area of the country are you located?

@acleverusername Hooray for an awesome post-retrieval follow-up! It sounds like you have an excellent plan in place for your next steps. I’ve heard others talk about the Smart Cycles and I can’t quite get my head around it.🤪 It sounds like you’ve figured out the most cost-effective way to take advantage of your insurance coverage. I’m glad you understand it! Also, your protocol sounds really good, like you and the doc are covering all your bases. It’s great to hear that you & YH are on the same page with your transfer timing. Exciting stuff! 

@optimistgardener Whew, I hear you on ALL of your teaching concerns! It’s so real. I support teachers and school leaders, and WHOA is it a stressful time! The learning curve with switching to online is certainly an adjustment, but hopefully not as steep as you’re feeling right now. FWIW, I spent this summer coaching new teachers via Zoom and after the first week it started to feel very normal. They were very forgiving of my tech issues that happened at first as I was learning to navigate multiple screens and show various slides, media, etc. Then I ironed out the kinks with more practice and time online (feel free to PM for any tips, seriously). I hope you will start to feel some ease once you get into the practice of it.💗Sending you *good juju* because it is definitely daunting to think about at first!
    P.S. I’m so glad you’ve found some new friends in TTGP this week with shared similarities.☺️ It’s always such a nice feeling to have others who completely understand your particular situation.

@mokay19 Hey there, welcome back! TB does that to me too with not being able to comment. I finally figured out that it’s usually because I’m logged in on another device so they block me from commenting on a secondary device. But sometimes it’s just that TB platform sucks.😆 Hooray that the Gonal-f worked!!! Hoping all good things for you. And good luck with the news job this week! 

@britters314 Welcome back to you as well! I hope you’re able to enjoy vacation and not worry too much about what’s coming next with TTC. As for your question: I’ve had 3 hysteroscopies. The very first time I was scared because I’d never been put under before. But my local RE insisted that it can be a bit painful and that it wasn’t anything I wanted to be awake for. So my first two hysteroscopies were under anesthesia. I didn’t remember a thing and didn’t have any pain afterward. The most recent one I was not put under. My new RE said she knew me and how I responded to things, and she believed I was tough enough to do it without anesthesia. (Plus, they only have a certain number of recovery beds outside of their OR, and her schedule was packed that day with procedures that would require anesthesia and space for people to be monitored in recovery after coming out of anesthesia. So she wanted to get me in and out, which she did. Like OptimistGardener, I got to watch the whole thing on the screen and it was fascinating.) Anyway, it felt like a lot of pressure—similar to period cramps—but not unbearable or exactly painful. I had no pain when it was over and walked out without assistance. 
  • @acleverusername We did consider fertility treatments the last time around, but at the time I had been diagnosed with POTS and with all the testing and treatments for that, I was really just sick of doctors. But I've now been un-diagnosed with POTS. Turns out it was just asthma with really weird symptoms and it's all under control now that I'm on asthma meds. And yes, the hysteroscopy is to check for endometriosis. I had actually never considered the possibility until my doctor said something (I do have painful periods and my sister has endo). So I guess we'll see!

@optimistgardener @mokay19 Thanks for the feedback on your experiences!
  • @keikilove OMG so many things happening in your life! I can't believe you're PUPO!!! I will have every conceivable part of my body crossed for you for this transfer. And I'm so happy you got some _positive_ news about YH. Once again, everything crossed that your doctors is bang on and the cancer will be gone by Christmas. Just really really really really happy for you, regardless of the poor egg retrieval results (and it does sound like there were a bunch of things that could have caused it.) So glad that you have an option for another DuoStim, but I hope to God it won't be needed. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• @keikilove thinking about you and all the craziness that you have going on! Congrats on being PUPO and great news that the doctors caught YH’s cancer early...  Still hoping and praying for effective treatment!
  • @optimistgardener @acleverusername @keikilove

Thank you!  Responses below due to its length.

@optimistgardenerThank you for your encouragement!  I feel for you as well - and for each one here that is getting to that point of questioning what to do next - if anything.   It’s emotionally exhausting, and definitely a roller coaster in the ups and downs.  

I am debating on what to do.  Maybe I won’t completely give up, but just try an alternative approach - trying to find the root cause (after trying the IUI + superovulation one more time).  

@acleverusername I am taking a look at functional doctors.  My parents go to one.  She doesn’t specialize in infertility though.  I think there may be a functional MD nearby that specializes in both functional medicine and NaPro technology.  His methodology includes looking for the underlying reason for infertility and treating the cause.  I’ve never met anyone that went to him though, and my parents really like their doctor.  The doctor even said she could get me past the waiting list since my parents are patients there.  She offered to have a conversation with me, so I may at least do that.  Having a functional doctor though that also specializes in functional treatment of infertility may be even better though.

@keikilove I’m so glad they caught your husband’s cancer early!  

I am going to an RE.  I went to an ob gyn first, and they did most of my testing, including a diagnostic laparoscopy.  I had a wide array of tests, but they botched up some of them.  Early on, we asked my RE about continuing to find the reason, but he said the treatment options likely would be the same no matter the cause since we ruled out a few things like locked tubes and PCOS.  Maybe it will be a different answer now though since we told him that IVF isn’t an option for us.  I trust his tests a lot more than the tests of my Ob Gyn.

We did find that my husband’s sperm isn’t ideal…the RE said it was good enough to get me pregnant, though there were some motility issues.  Maybe we can try treating that to get it to ideal conditions…and treat other things of mine that aren’t ideal?  I’m not sure what they are :) but there has to be some cause, even if it wasn’t found easily, right?  If it truly is unexplained, then it just must not be medically known at that point for that particular issue…we don’t just become infertile for no reason.  On the other hand, I have somewhat low AMH.  The doctor said it wouldn’t impact my treatments, and I’m not sure if there is anything to do to help it.

I know…I’m rambling now :). I just have a lot of thoughts going around my head.
  • @laura-kay is YH taking any supplements? If not, I can give you the regimen MH is one; it's greatly helped with his motility and concentration. Also, if you're OK doing virtual visits, then you should look into finding a functional medicine doctor who specialized in infertility. This is the resource I used to find mine: https://www.ifm.org/
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• Thanks!  I’ll take a look at the providers at that link.  Yes,  if you could provide his regimen that would be great!  Thanks!
  • Was not going to update this week since nothing is happening, but I'm procrastinating at work, and the paternity peggy is back! So here I am. 

@keikilove. Congrats!! I' sorry the last duostim crapped out, but hopefully you are KU and it doesn't matter. My doctor is very big on the "cycle-to-cycle variation" answer to all questions, and while it's really unsatisfying I am guessing she is probably right most of the time. So don't blame yourself or overanalyze the bad results. And good news on YH!

@laura-kay. I'm sorry you're feeling so down-- another route to think about is Chinese medicine. I am hesitant to recommend it fully because they will tell you to do a bunch of things (cut out gluten, wear socks, etc) that are not really evidence-based but anecdotally they have a lot of success with "unexplained". And I agree you're not that old! It might be worth looking into  inflammation/auto-immune issues, as well as sperm. 

@acleverusername. That sounds great that you guys have a plan in place (and also really good that your doctor told you about the mosaicism-- esp with T21, it's a lot to consider). Sounds like we will be on similar timelines. I am *really* hoping that this duostim is my last ER cycle, and we can transfer toward the end of the year. 

@britters314. Hi! I had a hysteroscopy in June and  my clinic did full anesthesia, similar to an ER.  For me it was suuuper easy recovery (just like sleepy from anesthesia) but they also didn't find anything, so that could be why. 

@mokay19. Great news the injectibles worked!! Fx.

@tinfoilhats Welcome! Eager to hear about the CNY visit, esp as a fellow RPL-er.

AFM:  Not much to report over here. On my last week of birth control before starting duostim (didn't do EPP for duostim even though it's standard because it didn't seem to do much for me last time, and the timing worked out better this way). Have my baseline next Tuesday and if all looks good I'll start stims Saturday. @acleverusername
    we might be cycle buddies for my second stim cycle...

TTC History
    TTC #1 Sep 2017-Sep 2018 
    BFP 11/30/2017 | MMC 12/31/2017
    BFP 6/22/2018 | CP 6/27/2018
    BFP 10/5/2018 | EDD 6/14/2019
    Baby girl born 6/19/19

TTC #2 May 2020-November 2021
    BFP 7/18/2020 | MonoDi Twins | MMC 9/10/2020
    BFP 11/7/2020 | CP 11/9/2020
    RE Consult January 2021 | Dx "borderline DOR"/RPL
    IVF with PGT:
    Standard Antagonist:
    ER #1 3/27/2021 7R | 5M | 3F | 2B | 1 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic
    ER #2 4/22/2021 10R | 7M | 3F | 2B | 0 normal, 2 aneuploid
    ER #3 5/19/2021 2R | 1M | 0F
    Estrogen Priming Antagonist:
    ER #4 7/10/2021 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    Duostim  (Standard Antagonist):
    ER #5 9/22/2021 13R | 11M | 8F | 5B | 2 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic, 2 aneuploid
    ER #6 10/9/2021  9R | 6M | 4 F | 1B | 1 aneuploid
    FET #1  11/5/2021 | EDD 7/24/2022
    Baby boy born 7/19/22

TTC #3 since May 2023 (ntnp)
    IVF Started Fall 2023 (Standard Antagonist)
    ER #7 10/6/2023 | 9R | 6M | 5F | 3B | 2 aneuploid, 1 high-level mosaic
    ER #8 10/31/2023 | 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    FET #2 11/27/23 | CP (bHCG = 8)
    FET #3 planned Jan 2024

• @bumblebee0210 “paternity Peggy” 😂😂
  • @bumblebee0210 Added "paternity peggy" to my notes for best of TTGP 2021. Thank you for coining that monicker. It's perfection. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• @inthewoods23 how did the long weekend sneak up on you?! Also, I really hope that you get all your records transferred in a timely manner to the RI.

@bumblebee0210 I suspect I'll be starting my stims sometime in the first week of October so maybe we _will_ be cycle buddies! Also, my doctor is also "cycle-to-cycle" variation drone... But I really like him. Lol. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022

• @acleverusername I don't know lol. Either September just crept up so fast or all the physical labor I did moving things from our (mostly) empty warehouse to a dumpster for half a day on Tuesday and for 2 hours on Thursday made me forget that it's a holiday on Monday. And possibly because I have a couple other things to look forward to in September that I completely glossed over the fact that we have the holiday.

I think I have the majority of my records uploaded to the portal. I was able to download all the visit summaries from my RE's portal and things like the SA's, IUI, IVF reports and embryo results were part of the paper copy of my records I requested last year when I went to get that second opinion so I was able to scan those with my home printer to make a digital copy. I'm debating whether or not I should get the records from that 2nd RE since nothing really changed. Although it might be beneficial to have the test result that I wasn't immune to measles since that may have played a part in conceiving last year (do I need a TW for that?). I don't have access to that RE's portal anymore so I'd have to request access again. I still need to call the RE for images/films from my HSG, saline sono etc if I can get them. Those types of things aren't available in the portal.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @bows22 fantastic news! so happy for you.
    History
  • @bows22 great to hear it’s negative for hyperplasia and malignancy! Hopefully you hear from your RE soon about what it means to have pieces of polyp still!
  • @bows22 OMG best news ever!!! (minus the polyp debris of course; what's the plan there?) Also <3 at being selfishly disappointed at my not transferring before Jan. 
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2

TTC #1
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022