February 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diapers

My DH used Naty diapers (found at Target) for his son (age 7.5 now). I'm interested in chemical free, fragrance free, latex free diapers. I've even considered cloth diapers for home-use. What diapers do you love? I've heard some diapers work well on one kid and not another. Do you recommend trying several brands before buying a lot diapers in one brand? I've been looking at Hello Bello too. Not sure what direction to go...

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapers

• I used Seventh Generation for Parker for the first two years and then switched to Hello Bello. I've been happy with both of them.
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• I did LOVE Hello Bello

but honestly we mostly bought Up & Up because they worked so well and we couldnt beat the price
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also really liked the cloud island diapers but it doesnt look like they sell them anymore..... 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok, looks like they replaced Cloud Island with Millie Moon, never tried them but here are some of the highlights

PH Balanced Layer and Dermatologically Tested for sensitive skin
    Materials certified as safe and clean by OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Allery Certified
    Totally Chlorine Free, fragrance free, latex free, lotion free
    Cruelty Free and Vegan, certified by PETA
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The only diapers I ever had problems with were Luvs, and with my son (11 years ago). Otherwise, any diaper brand has worked well and fine for us. Luvs even worked well for my daughter 4 years ago. So we just would buy what was on sale 🤷🏻‍♀️

In my closet from my Black Friday purchase last year for my loss pregnancy, I have the following brands that I got 1/2 off subscription bundles:
    Honest
    Hello Bello
    Abby + Finn
    Dyper

i also buy Sam’s Club Member’s Mark. 
  • This is somewhat related but may need another thread, or maybe needs to go in the STM+ thread. We've also been thinking about disposable vs cloth, and I've heard that the disposables can make potty training more difficult because they wick away moisture so well. Thoughts/opinions on this? Are some disposables for this better than others?
  • We really like Hello Bello diapers! Mostly because the designs are super cute and I like the subscription aspect. We had to use Huggies in a pinch one time when Samson was tiny and they gave him a rash so bad his poor bum was bleeding and oozing so now I’m terrified to ever switch it up. But I def agree you shouldn’t commit to one brand until you know for sure they work for your kid!
  • @chgilmore I wanted to cloth but my hubs was the stay at home parent for our older 2, and he vetoed that. 

Both my kids were day and night potty trained by 2y 2m using the 3 Day Potty Training Method so never worried about wetness 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • 100% agree with @babyodo on buying a box every time you grab groceries after about 20 weeks. We did the same thing and didn't have to buy diapers for probably 5 months. 

We used Pampers for the first 8-9 months and then my son started having leaks in them, even sizing up, so we tried out a box of Huggies and had the same issue. LUVS ended up being the magic diaper for him. 

Note on Pampers- the baby dry kind were my least favorite. It seemed like they almost soaked up too much moisture. 

We have always used Pampers Pure baby wipes and since I do daycare I've tried out a lot they are my absolute favorite. I have them on an Amazon subscription, so I get a case every other month and that is plenty. I also switched to that brand for daycare instead of having parents bring their own. I've never had a kiddo with a reaction or sensitivity to them, and they are super soft compared to a few other brands. 
  • We’re used Pampers for both boys and had really good success. We start in the Pampers swaddlers and then move to the cruisers once they start being mobile. We use Huggies sensitive wipes for the diaper bag, and the Pampers sensitive wipes for at home on the diaper changer. I’m not 100% sure why we do that. 

@chgilmore We didn’t have many issues with potty training DS1. We waited until he expressed interest and then followed his lead. He peed in the toilet pretty easily, but took awhile to poop on the toilet. Start to finish, he was potty trained in about 9 months. He still has nighttime accidents, and wears a pull-up to bed. 
  • We loved huggies when ds was little. He was a chunk and they fit him best, and contained the blowouts best! As he got older we liked the baby dry versions, because they were cheaper and fit him well. I did not like pampers at any point. They’re too loose at the top of the butt, and I thought they smelt like rubbing alcohol when they were wet. 
    We also love love hello bello! They didn’t start selling those until ds was older so we didn’t try the newborn sizes, but I will definitely be using theirs products again. I LOVE LOVE their diaper cream. It has one of the highest levels of zinc? That I could find and less petroleum. It’s super thick and hard to get out, but worked better than anything else for us. 
    I’m also interested to try new brands and brand types that have come out since ds has been out of diapers.

@chgilmore I don’t have experience with cloth, but from what I have seen and know. Kids will lead you when they are ready to start by showing signs of readiness. We potty trained ds with the three day no pants method after using pull ups for a while, but we still had to wait until he was ready. we actually had to stop trying a couple times and revisit later. By the time he was ready, it was so easy and he took to it very well! It’s the same with sleep and feeding solids. You have to let them take the lead some. 
  • I had high hopes of using higher-quality, more sustainable, etc. diapers with DS1, but I wanted to wait until he was born to try out different brands, and did not account for the fact that we live 2+ hours from a Target (or any store like it), have no options in town, and I totally didn't have the energy when he was a newborn to figure it out online. The hospital put him in Pampers swaddlers when he was born, they fit him well and contained giant poops, so that's what we used. We used Pampers sensitive wipes, too. When DS1 was maybe 14ish months I switched him to Pampers cruisers. Those have all worked very well for us.

I've occasionally bought a more eco-friendly diaper from our local coop (just small packs when I didn't reorder Pampers in time), and those have worked well too, though they were really papery.