1st Trimester

Possible Blighted Ovum

deeatkdeeatk member
edited April 2021 in 1st Trimester
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what the outcome was?
This is my second pregnancy after having my DD 5 years ago. I had my implant removed at the start of February and fell pregnant in March.

My last LMP was the 21st of February. I used Clearblue ovulation tests and got my static smiley face on the 10th of March and we DTD only once that day as my husband was then away with work.
I got my positive pregnancy test on the 21st of March (11DPO) and on the 2nd of April I got a clearblue digital result of pregnant and 3+ (23DPO).
Everything seemed to be going well, sore boobs tiredness, food aversion, I'm being sick multiple times a day etc.
According to my LMP, I should be 7+1 weeks. We booked an early scan for yesterday the 12th of April just to confirm everything was going okay before we told our DD but unfortunately she could only see a gestational sac and nothing else. The sac was measuring below the guidelines to state it as an unviable pregnancy and I have to be re-scanned in two weeks time. She said that maybe I'm earlier than I thought and may only be 5-6 weeks which is why she couldn't see much. 
I've googled blighted ovum and I know HCG still produces which may indicate why I'm getting strong pregnancy symptoms and I did a test this morning out of curiosity and the lines are so strong. It's disheartening to think all this is going on and there isn't even a baby there  
So far, I haven't had any bleeding or spotting.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experience and what the outcome was?

Re: Possible Blighted Ovum

• Not sure why the pee stick was included - its not allowed except the sticky at the top.  

Sorry you are going through this.  I would say trust your medical provider and wait until the follow up US. That's about all you can do and honestly I would stop testing as it won't give you any answers.   
  • "Pee stick" removed as wasn't aware. 

Thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • @deeatk Please remember that PG tests are Qualitative, NOT Quantitative.  Don't use those for guidelines as to how high/comparative to previous days your HCG level is.  Honestly, all you can do is wait the 2 weeks and see what happens.  If it grows, you're probably looking positive and on to the next steps.  If it doesn't, or it shows an empty sac, then you're definitely headed for a MC.  In my case, for my first PG, unfortunately, I was measuring behind for my first scan, and when I went back a week later it hadn't grown at all.  So I had my first MC.  Unfortunately, HCG still makes you feel PG symptoms and emotions, even when your PGs end in MCs or worse.  Trust me, this I know, as I've had 5 MCs and no living children. 
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Just want to say thank you to this thread. I am going through something similar and have to wait two weeks not for the final result. 
  • @ottergirl81 (((hugs)))