September 2021 Moms

COVID vaccine plans?

Re: COVID vaccine plans?

• @muggsd That's so exciting! Fortunately/unfortunately, my husband is in no risk categories and has been 100% wfh since the beginning, so he'll get his with the general population. I know that the science is still put on being able to spread it after vaccination, but I'm hoping it will at least give him a little more protection, since I do have to go into the office sometimes.
  • @muggsd @sawasap what?!? Ok I clearly missed this. Is it all Ontario? *going to research now*
  • Loading the player...
  • @agea my OB recommended not getting the Johnson and Johnson vaccine because the efficacy is not as high as the two-dose vaccines. I’ll be getting my first Moderna on Friday.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @agea I got Moderna

@runningonindie I hear you on all of that! I'm just so excited to be able to start doing some of the things we've given up, and I'm REALLY looking forward to feeling more safe at work! This has already been such a long ordeal already.
  • Has anyone’s OBGYN given recommendations on when to get the vaccine? I’ve heard 2nd trimester but my dr hasn’t provided much info. I’ll be 13 weeks tomorrow
  • @Knottie1447811820 my OB said the sooner the better because the risks of COVID during pregnancy are too high. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @Knottie1447811820 Not specifically, but she said she had no hesitation in recommending it for me and that I should get it as soon as it was available to me.
  • I think I’m going to get it. I talked to my OB today and she gave me the green light. I help checking people in for the vaccine so I’m able to get it at work easily. I’m just nervous and not sure why!
  • @ladylynn222 I’m nervous too. I’ve snagged appointments for my in laws, my uncle and my husband. Then I managed one for myself and got too nervous and cancelled it. I know I’ll get it eventually but I freaked out and wondered if it was too early. Ugh! 
  • ageaagea member
    Mine is tomorrow and I’m feeling nervous! So nervous out of nowhere. But I’m going ahead with it. I’ll be relieved once it’s done.
  • @Knottie1447811820 I had an appointment at 13 weeks where my OB strongly recommended it.  She didn't say anything about the timing (I ended getting my first shot at 14 weeks) but basically said without hesitation she recommended I get it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine last night. I’m 15w4d and my OB said it’s fine and they’re finding no ill effects on babies and that antibodies are making their way to the placenta and to babies. No problems so far, just a sore arm. Originally I planned to wait, but like others have said, the risk of getting severe COVID while pregnant is higher and I definitely don’t want that hanging over my head anytime I run to the grocery store or whatever. 
  • I signed up to get the Pfizer on Tuesday and now I’m all nervous again too! Ugh I wish someone would tell me what to do 🤦‍♀️
  • I have been lurking because I've been so sick, but I was so excited to see this: 
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/25/health/pregnant-women-covid-19-vaccines-study-wellness/index.html
  • @runningonindie these are the tough decisions we have to make as moms and parents. Weighing the risks of one thing or the other. What has brought me peace with this decision is knowing that getting COVID could be so much worse and lead to much greater risks for me and baby than the vaccine. So far data from births after getting the vaccine has been very positive. It is valid to have anxiety over it but you are making the right choice for you and your both your little girls. 
    *TW LC*

• @krash_ thank you! I do think it’s the right thing. I also know logically that most birth defects are already formed by the 2nd trimester so that risk is low. I think my worry is with the unknown that we won’t know for years to come - things that I never read anywhere but are just in my head for no reason. Can this cause future developmental delays? severe allergies? Autism? I mean who knows right? If this child has any of the above it will never ever be linked back to the vaccine either. It’s totally irrational.... but I’m feeling it and I’m going to allow myself to feel it and then hopefully part ways with that worry after it’s all said and done. I also hate that the babies born have been babies who’s moms were vaccinated in 3rd trimester. I don’t see any 2nd tri babies born yet simply due to timing so it’s really a tough one for me.... but I’m doing it. I’m definitely doing it. 
  • ageaagea member
    @runningonindie all of these thoughts and fears are so valid. My way of coping was to pick a path and try to put it out of my head. I also spoke to many people and read as much research as I could find to support my decision.
    Covid has been something completely out of our control so I try to think of the vaccine as a factor of that and not a personal decision I would have chosen.
  • agea said:
    Covid has been something completely out of our control so I try to think of the vaccine as a factor of that and not a personal decision I would have chosen.
    This this this. Obviously as moms we all want to make the best decisions for our kids. In this case you are doing exactly that, given the current circumstance.

@runningonindie so glad to hear your negative results! Huge weight off your shoulders I’m sure. 
  • @kissyfir1586 I hope for the same with Pfizer! That’s awesome 
  • I'm about 18-19 hours post my 2nd Moderna shot. Last night my arm was mildly sore, but that was it. I woke up in the middle of the night (woken by the kid) feeling mildly nauseous and had to eat a couple crackers, then it was tough to find a comfortable position to get back to sleep. This morning, I had some mild nausea, chills, body aches, and I'm very tired. My arm is very sore, just like it was with the first shot but not worse. I don't have a fever. Overall, I don't feel that bad, this is pretty much what I expected, and nothing is concerning me so far. I'm going to start the day as if I'll power through, but also pregnancy is a fantastic excuse to say I need to rest extra, so I might take a half day off this afternoon and try to take a nap, keeping my options open at this point!

• @Aerialmrs that sounds not so bad! Thanks for the reassuring anecdote. I say use the excuse to rest this afternoon!
    *TW LC*

• Shot 1 down, I have mixed feelings and it was a little emotional!
  • I got my second Moderna today at noon - so far less side effects than the first one, just soreness at the vaccine site but no headache or fatigue. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday morning and was fine all day. It wasn't until bedtime that I started getting chills and then a fever. Woke up at 1:30 am to tend to DS who had gotten turned around in his bed and couldn't find his pillow or billy goat and had a temp of 99 something and a headache so I took some tylenol. Woke up still feeling fatigued and achy with a headache still so I took some more tylenol, took off work and stayed in bed until 11:30. Feeling better now but still a bit foggy. 
    *TW LC*

• I had the Pfizer second shot yesterday and feeling good besides a sore arm. No more sore than with tetanus though. I do have a slight headache but could be a regular pregnancy thing or our extreme weather change happening today lol
  • I got my first shot of Pfizer last week and just had a sore arm. Below is the link from the preliminary findings from the V-safe registry that came out yesterday. Table 4 has the data most everyone will be interested in. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2104983

• @muggsd @nasalot188 and anyone else here from Ontario - pregnancy has been bumped up from "at risk" to "highest risk" and you can call in to the provincial booking line as of today! I just booked my first shot for May 14!
  • @sawasap I’m in for May 12! She told me to ask your care provider about the second shot (mine would be Sept 1) - they can provide a letter to get it earlier so it’s not so close to your due date! 
  • @muggsd Oh that's great information! Mine is booked right now for Sept 3, which seems dicey. The person I spoke with just said it might change based on vaccine availability. But I'll talk to my doctor about getting a letter for sure!
  • @sawasap she said you need to bring it to the first vaccination appointment and they should reschedule you right there. Just FYI :) 
  • I got my first Moderna shot today. I went back and forth and finally decided it was the right thing to do. Now I’m so anxious that I made the wrong choice, FH isn’t helping either and is kinda annoyed that I did it while pregnant. 🙄