August 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: baby toys

What’s you love or hates when it comes to baby toys? Any recommendations from the STM+ moms? Are you a minimalist or everything goes? Storage? Curbing the clutter? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight: baby toys

• We have *so many* toys, but the first one that pops into mind that has been a great buy is these squeaky egg toys. We got them for my oldest for his first Easter, and they've been a fave for both him and kid #2.

• I love the "SmartNoggin NogginStik" rattle for little babies. Def helped distract DD1 during some of the rougher newborn phases.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Loading the player...
  • @claireloSC that is my mom’s go to baby gift. Everyone loves it!
  • We've used the same baby gym with DS and DD - always a hit. I'd like to get a more aesthetically pleasing one, but I don't think DH will go for it. Other than that, we love rattles/teethers when they get bigger. There was this ball toy that was all the rage with my F19 but now I can't remember what it was called ...
  • I definitely have FTM delusions that the majority of our baby toys are going to be artful and chic-looking, though I'm sure that won't last long once she gets here and inevitably loves all the bright, junky plastic stuff that people gift us... but if anyone has recommendations for aesthetically pleasing toys that can actually compete, would love to hear them!
  • coastalmomma3coastalmomma3 member
    edited April 2021
    Unfortunately neither of my older kids were very interested in playing with toys. Mostly they wanted to be held and go for walks to the park,etc. We also read lots and lots of books, even at the infant stage. So, this baby is getting only hand me downs from them and a family friend. 

The only other thing that comes to mind is a jumper that my daughter loved when she was about 8-11 months. I could haul it outside and she could watch me garden and jump to her heart's content.And I know jumper isn't the right term....I can't think of it right now. Darn brain. Someone help me out here. I'll see if I can find a picture of something similar.
  • @the_most_happy, I hear you! I was on team "no plastic noisy toys" for the longest time. But, those were the only ones which would keep my babies/toddlers entertained for more than a couple minutes. I would add too that I had no idea how limited their attention span was. I had this vision that I could put them down on the floor with toys and make dinner with no interruptions. 😂  Then again, I had NO prior baby experience. 
  • @the_most_happy check out a LoveEvery subscription. It wasn't around for my first, but my BIL and SIL got a subscription as a gift for their son and they love it. (They are really picky about toys.) It is exactly what you are looking for. It would also be a great gift suggestions for grandparents or relatives. I think we'll ask for it for this babe since we don't need a ton of new baby gear.

https://lovevery.com
  • @the_most_happy I second Lovevery that @surrenderdorothy mentioned. I signed up for the play kit subscription at the beginning of COVID, so we started with the Babbler (age 13,14,15 months). It is a little pricey (more so for us because it's in USD and the CAD is not great), but I have found it to be totally worth it! The kids have loved all the toys (even our oldest who is 2 years older than the kid who the kits are intended for). The books are great; they feature real kids in real scenarios. The quality of the toys and the books are great. 

They ship the kits every three months. We introduce a few of the items at a time and rotate them out once we notice the kids are less interested in certain things. 

We are going to age out of the play kits just after BB3 arrives (they go up to 3 years and our subscription kid turns 3 in December), but I totally plan to subscribe again to get the early boxes we missed out on (0-12 months). 

Otherwise, my favourite baby toys include the Winkel by Manhattan Toys and baby paper. Some of their favourite things when they were babies...cardboard boxes...wooden spoons...pots, pans...my wallet? 
  • I am not a fan of noisy toys but I can deal with rattles and squeaky ones. I don’t particularly like the toys that play music or make constant noise.

I have bought one toy (if it is even considered that lol) so far for my boy, it’s a play mat for tummy time with a few different sensory toys (mirror, crinkle sounding toy, a rattle, different textures etc.) I had a similar one for my daughter and she loved it. 
  • I'm also VERY picky and minimalist with toys. Especially at the infant stage.
    For the baby stage, a play mat/play gym is a necessity in our house. We also love the Sophie the Giraffe teether. It's stupidly expensive for what it is, but both of my kids were OBSESSED with it. They also both loved the O-balls and "crinkle" books. That's about it for the baby stage. 
    For storage, we had an ottoman that fit all of the baby toys. Now, with a five year old and a three year old, we have upgraded to the ever-popular "cube storage" system. Each cube/basket in the house has a "category" attached to it. One for cars. One for magnet tiles. One for animals. Etc. If we don't need an entire cube for one category, then they go in zippered bags inside the cube to keep everything separate and organized. I already have a couple of cubes set aside for the baby's toys. 
    We go through the toys about every six months to "donate" the things they don't play with anymore and trash the broken toys. My kids know the routine.
    That all probably sounds a bit intense, but in a 1,400 square foot home (thanks southern CA housing prices), we have to be VERY vigilant about organization/storage. My kids know where everything goes, and they keep it all very organized because they know what each cube/basket is for. I also only buy "open-ended" toys (ie not the light-up, electronic toys that only serve one purpose). Again, with our space constraints, we have to be picky!
    Obviously I have a LOT of thoughts about toys!  :D
  • @BourbonBiscuits it wasn’t the Chuckle ball was it? They’re hilarious! My oldest was  afraid of it at first but my second loves it every time he’s teething, he makes it shake and shoves a monster head in his mouth, I guess it feels good on his teeth. 

• I've asked MH's aunts for a Lovevery subscription. This way I don't have to worry too much about all the junk they will buy.

I have got a couple things, including some horrendous onesies with stupid sayings on them. If it's the thought that counts than think about what I want and realize I don't want your junk. Nevermind that you addressed the package to " The M-------" (I didn't take MH's last name) Sorry to post my rant here 😅

@cyanope I hope I can  be as organized as you. Fingers crossed.
  • @doodlemom131 - My in-laws always "forget" that I didn't take my husband's last name. It's been almost 5 years!
  • i hate the gross sayings people put on onesies like "we had too many drinks and then got me" or whatever. so tacky.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • @cyanope I wish I was as organized as you. I said something to dw about going through dad's toys and she said, "we have a baby on the way. Now isn't the time to get rid of them." 🤦

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @claireloSC - Same! Why are there so many of those types of onsies out there? 
  • @doodlemom131 @claireloSC yes! I’m trying to be chill about accepting that this is the first grandchild for both our families (and first baby in our core friend group) so people are going to get us whatever they want and a lot of it probably won’t be our taste, but the one thing I did explicitly tell my in-laws was that I hate clothing with words/sayings on it. I’m sure some words/sayings are fine, but I’d rather make it simple for them and completely avoid anything cringe-y or creepy (there is so much of both out there!).
  • @CapricaAndrea it was the winkel!!! @pickle-chips reminded me. All the F19s had a winkel except for poor neglected DD :lol:
  • I get irrationally angry now at toy makers who don’t add an on/off button. Those toys are easy for me to “lose” or “get accidentally broken”. 

I got this set of fisher price cloth blocks with their own that were an early and long played with hit for DD. I can’t find newer things for it so I guess it got discontinued or updated to an unrecognizable to me version.  

I didn’t get a Sophie but got a similar monkey for DD that was also a big hit:
    https://infantino.com/collections/teethers/products/squeeze-teethe-monkey

I remember a ton of people in DDs BMB (May 15) getting the sit me up- DD was deprived.  I had gotten this other seat with a wrap around tray that could be used for snacks, had toys on the tray too, and was on a tight budget. I think it’s was the summer super seat?   We also used that for awhile, so it really was a great gift. The tray came off and had straps so you can attach it to a dining chair to use at the table in addition to being a floor seat.  I used it on wash days for doing hair too- I could keep turning it to something different, add a new toy to the open part, or give her snacks to keep her occupied.  I always wondered though if I should have jumped on the sit me up train though. 

@cyanope, I wish I was as organized as you too.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @loloyoyo26 oh for the plastic noisy toys, I have been putting piece of clear packing tape over the speaker. It somehow dampens the sound a little so it's not as screechy/annoying. Doesn't help with NOT having an off button which is a separate crime on its own but makes it more tolerable.

The loud plastic toys are always the baby's favorite. She's not into the neutral/natural anesthetics I guess. Lovevery was not a hit in our household... especially for the price. 
  • DD always preferred like wipes packages and stuff like that when she was a baby. She didn't get much into toys until she was a year or so IIRC. I'm with you @hannelorre, all the noisy ones were the hits like the stupid fisher price walker with the horrible little song.
  • @hannelorre, thanks for the tip!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @loloyoyo26, we have the "sit me up" chair! I totally forgot about that one. DS actually hated it which is probably why it doesn't stick out in my memory. Also, +1 to the stupid walker thing, @claireloSC. BOTH of my kids were obsessed with that thing. I forgot about a lot of stuff we have, it seems! Time to start going through storage! 
  • @claireloSC @cyanope I saw the fishwe price lion walker at friends house and that was the only absolutely not toy I had on my list. Her current favorite is this plastic duck that spins and plays music that we got for her FIRST birthday. Still going strong 🙄🙄
  • My doughter has a lot of toys!