1st Trimester

Prenatals

What prenatal is everyone taking and why?

Re: Prenatals

• My chiropractor told me to take a food based prenatal with folate instead of folic acid becuase it is more natural and easier for the body to absorb/process. My OB told me to take the cheapest one because they're all the same. Once I burn through all my Garden of Life prenatals, I'm switching back to Naturemade or Target brand (with fish oil if they don't have DHA). I've heard the gummies are less likely to cause constipation, but I've never tried them.
  • I only take ones with Folate over Folic Acid because I strongly suspect I have the MTHFR gene mutation (not confirmed, just suspected). 

I'm using the ritual ones, but I hate them and plan to switch back to smartypants because they are tasty AF. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm taking Mama's Select prenatal with folate because they are affordable, and I don't gag on them, as well as Nordic Naturals DHA because I believe a good quality fish oil is also very beneficial.
  • The smarty pants are so yummy!  Why do you hate ritual??
  • @gymkim67 I get really bad fish burps on them, and quite frankly I don't think they are worth the $37 price tag. 
  • @Vampirina Ugh Ritual also give me fish burps! I take them but I can only do it right before bed so I don’t have to deal with the gross burps. 
  • I take Ritual. I’m a wellness nerd and their sourcing/formulation beats out the competition by a long shot IMO.
    No calcium in it (calcium will block iron absorption), so I have a calcium fortified almond milk separately, either with coffee in the morning, afternoon protein shake, or both.

I do get “fish burps” sometimes, but they are actually “algae burps.” Very pleased that they sourced vegan omegas.