UO Thursday 4/8

What’s your unpopular opinion? 
Me: 29 | DH: 28
Due: 6 Nov 2021
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: UO Thursday 4/8

• Options
    I may get kicked out for this one but...

Coffee is gross. The smell is nice but the taste is dreadful. 
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    I may get kicked out for this one but...

Coffee is gross. The smell is nice but the taste is dreadful. 
    Le sigh. There's one of ya in every group  ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think large bows on babies just look funny and not cute.
  • Options
    I like coffee but basically only as a vehicle for delicious creamers 😆 I only drink decaf so I can't even say it's for the caffeine. 

I guess that's my UO is that I don't like caffeine
  • Options
    @jackie_dunny I'm not a big coffee drinker either. I drink one weekly just because my husband has a weekly coffee shop habit that he supports. Growing up everyone kept telling me that I'd get into it at the next stage (high school, college, law school, work) but it never happened.
  • Options
    @freakymagoo yes! I want to do a sex reveal (for ourselves, not just family and friends) and I have to keep correcting myself to call it a sex reveal and not a gender reveal. Or if someone asks “are you going to find out the gender?” I make sure I reply with “yes, we’re finding out the sex” 
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @jackie_dunny haha yep, I reply the same way 😂
  • Options
    So... for those of you correcting people who say gender, are you treating your babies as genderless until they choose for themselves? Because otherwise, for all intents and purposes you will be finding out their gender, right? Unless they correct you at a later date?  

I’m not trying to be snotty. I’m genuinely curious because I’ve read about people who give their children gender neutral names and won’t tell anyone their child’s sex and refer to the child as they/them. I’m wondering if this is something that’s catching on.
  • Options
    I don't really believe in gender. What even is gender besides a cultural distinction based on a collection of stereotypes?
  • Options
    @doodleoodle I agree with what @artsiefartsie said. I will raise them as their assumed gender (meaning using he or she pronouns) until they can tell me otherwise. But I will also do as you’re doing. Buy toys in “boy and girl” colors, let my son play with dolls if he chooses, let my daughter play with trucks, etc. 

TBH, I was afraid to put in here that I plan on having a sex reveal because I know so many people are against it but I’m not sure why. Unless you plan on raising the child genderless like you said- (which, isn’t that raising them to be non-binary then, therefore also forcing a “gender” for lack of a better word?), -then why is having a party finding out the news in a fun way any different than just regularly finding out you’re having a girl and naming her a feminine name? Either way you’re making a decision based on their sex
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @jackie_dunny I’m not sure why sex reveals get a bad wrap either. I think they can be fun. I had one with my first and people wore shirts that read, “I’m just here for the sex” it was very classy 😂
  • Options
    doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited April 2021
    @artsiefartsie mmmmmm cake

eta especially after the year we’ve had I think that we should celebrate any chance we get
  • Options
    @artsiefartsie omg yes the need to do massive, expensive "unique" types of reveals get the biggest side eyes from me. There was one sex reveal party that literally killed people because they created an explosive in their fervor 
  • Options
    @jackie_dunny I'm with you. I can't get the stuff down.

Regarding sex/gender reveals, I don't mind that so much. I do feel weird posting the ultrasound online because why is it okay to show an unborn child's genitals to the world when we'd never do that after they're born.
    Jana Lynn
     Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18
  • Options
    I love how open minded and open for discussion everyone is being! Honestly, I was nervous this was going to be our first “big drama” debate but I think we’ve discussed this important topic very well 👍🏻 
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    @marbellie Thank you for bringing up and representing that perspective to help round out the conversation. As with so many parenting decisions, there's no clear and perfect answer!
  • Options
    @marbellie I totally agree with that.  I think that's an important thing to keep in mind even outside of just gender. Kids feel so much pressure from society as it is, I want to do everything I can to diminish that pressure.  
  • Options
    freakymagoofreakymagoo member
    edited April 2021
    I love how open minded and open for discussion everyone is being! Honestly, I was nervous this was going to be our first “big drama” debate but I think we’ve discussed this important topic very well 👍🏻 

@freakymagoo yes! I want to do a sex reveal (for ourselves, not just family and friends) and I have to keep correcting myself to call it a sex reveal and not a gender reveal. Or if someone asks “are you going to find out the gender?” I make sure I reply with “yes, we’re finding out the sex” 
    It is so important to talk about it! We talk a lot to our son about how there are so any things we may not know just by looking at someone, and it’s ok to ask, as long as you do it respectfully. 

It’s when we stop positively talking about it that we do disservice to our children, friends, and family. 
  • Options
    mkp0903 said:
    @jackie_dunny I'm with you. I can't get the stuff down.

Regarding sex/gender reveals, I don't mind that so much. I do feel weird posting the ultrasound online because why is it okay to show an unborn child's genitals to the world when we'd never do that after they're born.
    I totally find this weird. Especially when they have an arrow pointing saying “boy.” I always feel weird looking at those. Why are you showing me your unborn child’s penis?? 

As far as sex reveal parties, I’m not a huge fan, but I think some of the things people come up with are pretty cute. I won’t have one for myself, but I’ve gone to ones for friends and enjoyed myself. 

I guess what has struck me recently is people asking me why I didn’t pick a girl embryo. I didn’t pick, I let the embryologist pick. I have been asked 3 times if I’m disappointed it’s not a girl and that is such a baffling idea to me. I want a baby, and if I were able to conceive without assistance I wouldn’t be able to pick. It’s an embryo with either XX or XY chromosomes. I don’t know how they will grow up. 

Cute story about kids and society reinforcing gender stereotypes-I got my son some new underwear the other day with Paw Patrol on them since he’s obsessed. He noticed Skye wasn’t on them and was a little upset. I had a hard time explaining why she wasn’t there. He was still pretty disappointed. 
    The things people say to infertiles is MINDBLOWING. 
  • Options
    We are not going to learn the sex before birth and will have one final pregnancy surprise but is there anyone else planning on not finding out?
  • Options
    @mayoduck it was a very good day! Both my children were assigned male at birth. I've been thinking that my oldest would be more comfortable in a dress. He's autistic so I think the social implications of wearing a dress would be meaningless to him and he'd find it comfy.
    Jana Lynn
     Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18
  • Options
    @mkp0903 my nephew loves Paw Patrol and PJ Masks! Skye and Owlet are his favorites and he has gone as both for Halloween! He very much, at least for now, thinks he is a boy but doesn't care a wit about idolizing and mimicking his girl hero idols! Makes me so happy! 
  • Options
    @gingerale87 we're team green again with these two like we did with our first and second. With my first, I swore it was a boy until the week before and had a dream it was a girl which totally threw me. My second pregnancy I grew totally different (straight out instead of wide) and guessed boy which was correct.... not sure how my guessing will be with the twins!
  • Options
    @jackie_dunny another coffee hater over here! 
  • Options
    Ditto to coffee hating... been that way since forever.
  • Options
    I thought of something else: saying a “natural” birth instead of unmedicated. All births are natural! 

(Also, this site is much slower than I’m used to for a message board!)
  • Options
    @doodleoodle haha! 

@freakymagoo I prefer to say unmedicated, home birth, etc. over "natural". Perhaps it's because of the way people have spoken it to me and it's unfounded, but when I hear "natural" birth I think of it as a judgey thing for all other births lol
  • Options
    @marbellie when someone says “natural birth” I think of it as no medications were used, but also no medical interventions such as: induction, forceps, vacuum, etc. I say “unmedicated” instead of “natural birth” a lot when I really mean “natural” (natural in the way I described above) ONLY because it seems to make people feel bad and I don’t want anyone to feel bad or judged or whatever. Birth is hard and tests your endurance no matter the methods used to get there. Everyone should feel like a badass after giving birth.